Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

2. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

The "Long Title" acetate is fantastic! (a completely different version than the "Peter's basement acetates" usual ones, as far as I know!)
    And hear the crowd screaming their lungs out during the live concert! They were at an absolutely peak in concert in 1968! To me this sounds a lot more rockin' dynamic and professionally played than than the recordings from 1967. Mike to me never sounded better or rocked more than on their Circle Sky live version. Interesting also when Davy interprets the girl at the movie's beginning and their dialogues ("Even!"). Seems to me before the movie bombed Davy knew exactly what Head was all about, afterwards in later interviews he usually just replied that this was mainly Bob's & Jack's weird fantasy and that hey destroyed everything...

3. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

OK, here are all 58 of the MP3 samples from the Rhino site - in one easy to download zip file:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UFVveUNCSU9VVGswTVE9PQ

Could someone here with a Rapidshare account (or another long-term download site) please take this file and post it here again. Yousendit links only last for 100 downloads. (Thanks! :) )

4. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I wonder if the free shipping is USA only?

5. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Thanks Michelle! :righton: when I played these tracks on the Rhino site, I could play one song and then the page would crash, over and over again.

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Thanks for that Michelle! Although I think I will pass this time. I don't want any spoilers... I'm too anticipated as it is!!!
    I was thinking about the '69 stuff, it'd be great to have the By Request mix of Mommy and Daddy somewhere else. I can't see myself forking out 70 bucks on Amazon just for that one alternate mix! Maybe that could be included on an Instant Replay/Present deluxe.

Anyone have this mix? Anything much different from the original?

I know I'm threadcrapping. Can't wait for this box!

7. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

You can bet on it.

It doesn't cost all that much to ship to the rest of the the world, but the costs for me in the UK are prohibitive.

It's a real shame because I still don't have TBTBATM.

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Those live tracks......WOW!

9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Is this the only place you can get this particular mix? I thought it was somewhere else too.

Darryl

10. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

I would be surprised if that's the case, considering that I recieved free shipping when the BBM box was first released.

Anyway I just tried to order Head and am still only getting the standard or rush shipping options. Has anyone outside of the U.S. been able to to order a set with free shipping?

11. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I've not been able to find it anywhere else yet. I was pretty shocked to hear it - I assumed everything on By Request post-BBM would be standard stereo mixes.

12. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

It's not tremendously different; just some different stereo placement.
    On PRESENT, LISTEN TO THE BAND and MUSIC BOX, the drums are on the right, but on BY REQUEST they are in the center. In addition, if you listen to the intros, the BY REQUEST sounds slowed down ever so slightly. The gibberish starts in the center on the original mix, moving to the left and then the right, and on BY REQUEST it starts on the left and moves to the right.

13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Nope.

14. silvertrees

Yeah, they sound great! Peter's bass sounds so fat and melodic. His playing propels those songs with undeniable Punch. Dolenz displays his unique approach to his instrument with great effect.

Not to complain, but I like others have voiced here, wished that more of the concert and rehearsals would have made it onto this set. If the main reason for their exclusion is because they lack vocals, that's a pity, for I would think that this would be a mote issue for most fans at this point. I'm of the camp that will take what I can get. These live recordings show that the Monkees as a live unit were a force to be reckoned with.

15. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Does anybody think that based on the samples, track 15 is the stereo single mix of Porpoise Song, previously released on comps, or the version from Listen To The Band?

16. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

It is the original 1968 stereo mix with full ending - not the 1991 remix from Listen To The Band

17. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Thanks. That was important to me.

18. silvertrees

Andrew, it's a honour to have you post on this thread.

Look forward to any thoughts you might like to share regarding your involvement with this latest Monkee project.

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Andrew! Do your upcoming liner notes specifically detail the live Salt Lake tracks? If so, we can all wait (YES, we can :righton:) until we get the set. If not, could you shed some light on why some songs were used and others not? Does it come down to technical gremlins (mic problems, mixing issues, etc) or is it possible other songs may find release in the future? Ron

20. silvertrees

Andrew, just wondering if any of the takes of Long Title (version 2) from the Jan 20th '68
    session were ever considered for this expanded Head box set? With so little Tork session tapes from this period still in existence, I'm so curious as to how this great song sounded in its' early stage.

21. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

I'm hopeful that with the " live show intro" track running almost 8.5 minutes that the possibility exists that we might hear a bit of additional tuning or jamming by the guys on this cut. Always a major thrill for me to hear the four Monkees functioning as a band!

22. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I had to pay $36 to get a set sent to me in Japan. (Express UPS was over $100!)

23. silvertrees

Thanks for sharing that. Let's hope you're right!

24. silvertrees

Well I was just on the Rhino site and found this under the free shipping disclosure:

Order total must be $50 or more (not counting tax and shipping).
    Applies to standard shipping only to US addresses (sorry to all our exotic friends in faraway places).

Bummer! I guess that I will have no choice but to cough up the ten dollars for standard shipping. Still better than paying $36. Ouch! Sorry Michelle66.

25. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

When it rains, it really pours...!

Hey, check out this little number! Looks like the answer to our prayers! I can't wait! (But, I guess I'm gonna have to...!)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.