Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Ordered 2! I went free shipping too. I didn't have a problem last time either. I can't wait!

2. echosend

echosend Forum Resident

Andrew's currently playing some tracks from the set on luxuria.

3. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Mark..agree with you on all accounts. Would love a clean copy of Nine Times Blue from Johnny Cash, Can't wait for the Live tracks. I do wonder if the next box set will just finish everything off?!?! Unless they have so much stuff left from IR/Present they have to release it by itself.

4. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the original plan was to release them all through Present and that Changes wasn't part of that plan due to lack of new material. Therefore, yes, there's new material for Instant Replay & Present.
    Hopefully this new set will sell enough to get through Present.

And you're right about them including in each set what was recorded in order, so they did not put all of their eggs in one basket with BB&M.

Also, just another reminder to pre-order if you want the 45!

5. Tom R

Tom R Forum Resident

My order went through without a problem. I ordered immediately because I just missed the 45 when I ordered BB&M.

6. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I couldn't resist and listened to the You Told Me sample...I really can't wait to hear the whole thing now!

7. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

OMG yes, You Told Me sounds awesome.

Love that banjo part from Peter, and Davy is actually playing bass on it too.

Definitely seems like the vocal track sounds a little buggy, especially on SUnny Girlfriend.

It's such a shame that the vocals were not recorded well.

Geez, these live tracks really make want to hear all the rest of the recordings from the rehearsal and in front of the audience from that show.

8. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

In addition to a video interview with Micky there is also an interview with Andrew talking about the BB&TM on Monkees.com

Ben

9. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

10. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Are these new? My laptop doesn't have sound...

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

But I really want a super-deluxe Changes!

12. readr

readr Forum Resident

I read a lot of these posts, as the set became available, and I'm going to wait a few days to order mine. Seems to be a log jam right now. All sets pre-ordered get the 45, so no rush (btw, called it on that b&w 45 cover). The mono 45 mix of As We Go Along sounds lovely. Thought the master tape version of California, Here It Comes wouldn't have the 33 1/3 parts on it -- just a straight take. Oh, well. I'm in the camp of a 1969 Box Set next, wrapping up all the loose ends of that year. And, I suspect that set will contain some Nez backing tracks. Somebody get those URL's yet on the sound samples?

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I knew I saw it somewhere...

Darryl

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Downloaded all of the MP3s before work this morning. I'll post a big zip file with all of them after I get home this evening.

15. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Ticket On A Ferry Ride session tapes just located!!!

16. mr.schneider

17. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

:righton:

18. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Ya know what, that would probably make one nice looking package! Cool colors on that album cover!

19. echosend

echosend Forum Resident

Yes, but if all such a deluxe set would offer is a neat repackaging of...stuff we already have, it wouldn't be worth it whatsoever.

The Nez interviews prove they have lots of stuff they could draw on. There's live '69 stuff (She's So Far Out She's In, amongst other songs) and, although we'll probably never get them, there's the backing tracks of the 33 1/3 RPMonkee songs (The Only Thing I Believe That's True is there). I'm sure there's plenty in the way of demos too.

20. mr.schneider

there are ZERO live 1969 recordings. That was taken from a recently located 4 track of the Phoenix show used for the live episode of the 1967 TV show.
    No releasable live stuff from 1969 has turned up thus far.

21. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

They could do a 1969-1970 box set and use for the cover that performance image from The Joey Bishop Show, which was later doctored to remove Mike, and then used on "Changes".

I know someone had that shot of the 3 Monkees as an avatar once. Sunset Sam?

22. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Exactly what they should do as there is enough to fill say 3 or 4 CD's. Goodness knows there are plenty of Nesmith backing tracks waiting for our greedy hands! Just hope they find some of the tracks that are supposedly lost like "Which Way Do You Want It". Could possibly end up being the best set of them all.

23. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Ordered mine!:righton: I did not have any real problems. It took a couple attempts to get on Rhino's site but once I got on there it was smooth sailing. Now onto Instant Replay and Present!

24. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

:whistle: I do get impatient when I am expecting something like this. Choosing the rush option was probably not the best idea, though, considering the cost. Can I cancel and re-order?

On my end, the site was working much smoother than it was during the BB&M pre-order. Of course it was 3 AM eastern.

25. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

I've tried numerous times in the last hour to order a set with the free shipping option, but the Rhino site only offers standard and express shipping. I'm aware that others are having the same issue. Oh well, I'll try a few more attempts before I call it a night.

Anyone else receiving internet explorer errors causing the Rhino page to close while playing the samples? It's a tad frustrating, but hearing the mono mixes and live tracks are definitely stoking my HEAD!

As a Tork obessive, I'm thrilled to be getting six unreleased Tork tracks on this set!
    I'm really digging the rough mix acetate of Long Title on disc two. For me, Tork's strongest contributions to the Monkees catalogue are found on Head: Can You Dig It and of course, Long Title.

I've always been fond of California, Here I Come, so it's a treat to have that included as well. I've stated this elsewhere, but I think that Tork could have released one hell of a folk covers album had he been so inclined.

With the release of the BBM and Head boxes, Tork finally gets the recognition as the accomplished songwriter and musician he so rightly deserves.

Thank you Andrew and Rhino for bringing this set to fruition! I too will glady support all other Monkee projects should they come to pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.