Anyone else let down by the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

He really seemed to get into Teles after the 1969 tour, more specifically, prior to the 1972 tour. He used them extensively from 1972 onward, but rarely before. His use of the Tele seemed to coincide with his "discovery" of the 5-strong open-G tuning that became his mainstay.

I liked his 1969 sound. Ever since then, his sound has gotten cleaner and thinner.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I like his '65 sound and his '72 sound.

3. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

The 69 sound was nice in that it had a lot of sludgy oomph at the bottom but clear ringing trebles too, when he played the upper notes. "Rambler" on "Liver than You'll Ever Be" demonstrates this. To me, his sound in 1972 was one dimensional, that Ampeg/Fender car-engine roar. Much less subtle and varied than in 1969, where there was much more color, dimension, and variation in tone.

But that's just me. As I mentioned earlier, I liked them in 1972 too, but I would see a 1969 show 99 times out of a 100.

4. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Correction: It was November 8, 1969, not the 11th.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI, in Gimme Shelter he's using a Les Paul on Street Fighting Man. Don't know about the version that's on Ya-Ya's.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I am spinning mine for the first time right now and so far I am not dissapointed.

7. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

indeed.

i've got the SACD/CD hybrid, but found a used LP copy today and can confirm; this record kicks a$$. :righton:

the Stones at the very height of their infamy.

later, chris

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Finally getting around to post in this thread. This album was the first time I ever heard the Stones. I was at a friend's house and his older brother had Carol cranked up really loud. I've never forgotten that day and I went and bought the album a few days later. It's been a favorite of mine ever since.

9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I have two, a first press Decca, and the MFSL. The MFSL is clearer, cleaner with a bit more bass extension. I still prefer the Decca though...
    Great stuff.

10. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Despite all the talk about the Dan Armstrong, Keith played his black, 3-pickup Les Paul extensively in 1969.

Two more snaps from November 8, 1969, L.A. Forum, by Neil Zlozower. One of Keith and the Les Paul, the other of Mick Taylor and the SG he seemed to use for every song of the entire tour.

Attached Files:

11. music4life

music4life Senior Member

After hearing for years about what a great album this is, I finally splurged and bought it a couple of years ago. To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. I much prefer "Flashpoint" over it...

12. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

:ignore:

13. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

My fave Stones album. While it doesn`t have the cahonies of the Perth boot, Ya Ya`s gets me to turn this up and up and up. Sounds even better extremely loud (esp. the orig vinyl)!!!:goodie:

14. fathom

fathom Senior Member

I'm not a huge Stones fan - I could live with Hot Rocks + Sticky Fingers. But YA YAs is a pretty darn good live album. Very muscular without being in your face.

15. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

What is the best sounding CD version of YA Ya's?

16. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Thanks Robert Kaneda for the Neil Zlozower photos!

17. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

You're welcome. I'll see if there are some more floating around at home worth posting.

18. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

the SACD/CD hybrid is very good, IMO.

later, chris

19. theebrianrector

theebrianrector New Member

I really love the Mickboy Edition of Ya-Ya's. Would anyone like to comment?

20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Whatever rig he is using on "Monkey Man" and "Can't you here me Knocking" plus "Rambler" on " Ya Ya's" sounds great to me!

I love the dirty "scuzzy" sound he gets on those songs.

21. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Here are some more Stones pix from 1969 and 1972.

The two B&W shots are again by my high school friend Neil Zlozower. November 8, 1969, L.A. Forum (I don't know if these are from the 1st or 2nd show -- I was at the 1st show).

The two color shots are by me. The one of the full band was taken on June 10, 1972, at the Pacific Terrace Theater in Long Beach, CA.

The one of Jagger is from June 11, 1972, at the L.A. Forum (1st show). We had nice 5th row seats.

I should have wiped them off a bit before scanning. But I didn't, so . . . .

Attached Files:

22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Nice pics!!!! My father was at those shows. I would love to travel to 1967 and hang out for 5 years :D

23. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

PS: Note Wyman playing the bass version of the clear Dan Armstrong guitar, which I think he used throughout the 1972 USA tour.

24. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Thank you. I trust your dad had a good time at those shows!!!

I remember in 1969, before the Stones show started and everyone was waiting around in their seats, the PA crew played the entire "Abbey Road" album, which had come out like a month before. Looking back, it was pretty wild -- we're sitting there waiting for the Stones listening to a classic album that had just been released. Today's "classic rock" was all still very brand new, swirling about us all the time.

25. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

What is the Mickboy Edition of Ya-Yas?

I see this is your first post, so welcome to the group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.