Anyone else let down by the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Any more comparisons to the original vinyl versus the new vinyl? Is this worth getting? Details please! :)

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

O.k., guess I misunderstood. I do like GYYYO, have it on vinyl and the abko remaster. Gonna listen to the Deluxe tonite! - "C'mon Queenie, let's shake it!!"

funknik likes this.
  3. I saw the new box in Best Buy today. No price, so I was hoping for one of those big box misprices that happen occasionally... they wanted $104.& change. I'll live with my original from the '70s.

sewerdog likes this.
  4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yes, I was disappointed.

It sounds on half the album Mick is walking through the songs. The other half sound energetic.

I was expecting much much better than what I heard.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I haven't had a copy of the original vinyl for years but I feel confident in saying that the new vinyl reissue sounds so good, it's well worth getting. It's the best 180-gram pressing I've ever seen. Completely and utterly noise-free. Very deep and realistic sound. I bought the SACD when it came out and probably listened to it 5 times, but I'm much more impressed with the new vinyl reissue. The B.B. King and Ike & Tina sets sound fantastic as well. This set far exceeded my expectations.

Barnes & Noble offers this set for $80 if you're a member. Combine that with a coupon (which can be done depending on the coupon) and you can get this for significantly lower than the list price.

6. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Haven't heard the new vinyl, but my original vinyl sounds awesome, my 80's London reissue vinyl is also pretty great! My experience is that the new Stones vinyl sounds more clean and well, modern, if you dig the sound of the Stones remastered for example, the new Stones vinyl will be just great. I personally like the "old" sound of the Stones on vinyl, they are more muddy and raw in a way, but that's the way I like them to sound.

Marc Perman likes this.
  8. guitardiet

guitardiet Forum Resident

Think It's a great set

9. If I recall correctly, it's a warts and all recording (no overdubs) and as such is a great representation of the band live. I think it's a great live album...the energy at the GS concert was different certainly but the performances are, to me, comparable with a slight edge to "Ya Ya's" except for Jagger's vocals.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What recording are you speaking of? Ya-Yas? Because that has a lot of overdubs and some edits.

ARK likes this.
  11. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I picked this up yesterday and was quite surprised (I should've known better though) how different the original album and the 5 bonus tracks sounded. I'd kinda thought I'd edit the 5 tracks into the longer album, but the album sound has so much tweaking and the 5 tracks sound raw and ragged like the movie.

I'd be pretty sure that Taylor has been edited out of Ya-Ya's tracks simply because when (company/band) try to put a record across to the masses, they often simplify for maximum effect. I've always preferred the rawer movie tracks to be honest, but that's only my opinion

12. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

this. I watched Gimme Shelter last night for the first time in many years and was pretty surprised how Mick T was left to play rhythm while Keef took all the solos. I love Keith's playing, but Mick Taylor was amazing and it seemed like he was edited out due to song selection etc. I agree that Keith was jealous and he hints at this himself in his book, LIFE.

13. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Fantastic album but it has always bugged me BIG TIME that it was only a single LP because their standard 70min. set would have easily fit on a double album with no edits whatsoever necessary.
    The last time they felt five Stones on stage can pull it off, the band plays slower and still sounds much more like a Blues band that on later tours, and Jagger acually SINGS all words and syllables without sounding breathless. I like all that.

The JJF version on GYYYO is from 11/27 whereas the Gimme Shelter soundtrack version stems from the 11/28 early show and has a rather rarely played guitar solo at the tail end so I personally prefer that version. Does anyone have an idea who played this solo? The movie only shows Jagger during the solo.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  14. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I think this is one of the best live albums ever, right along with the who live at leeds

15. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I think it's alright. I only own it on vinyl (London stereophonic). I have been meaning to get the CD, but there are other albums higher up on my priority.

16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I own an original pressing and it sounds insane

17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

This has never been an album that has appealed to me at all.

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It is what it is.

19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Great live album, IMHO. Not the best quality recording, despite the involvement of Glyn Johns, but the performance is stupendous. I now have the expanded Deluxe version as well as the SACD hybrid.

bobcat likes this.
  20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:righton:

bobcat likes this.
  21. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It's one of my favorite live albums.

22. botley

botley Forum Resident

Not even in my top ten Stones live albums.

GetRhythm likes this.
  23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

This may be my favorite album period.

I love Little Queenie. I love the way Charlie's drums sound....and Stu's piano.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    bobcat likes this.
  24. I prefer the Nov 27th show the quality is not as good but it is an honest show not fussed with by overdubs

25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The Stones even to this day have an exciting aura about them live.
    So the experience of seeing them live and just hearing them live is a different experience.
    There are very few Stones albums I like more than a few songs on, Ya-Yas is one. I like everything on it but one song.
    It just plain kicks ass. The guitar sounds on it and the rhythm section is hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.