Anyone else let down by the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw the movie Gimme Shelter and even though a guy did get killed in the end, I really liked the concert footage. So I bought this CD because it's the same era and it's hailed as a classic. I have to say, it doesn't feel all that exciting. It's not bad but it's a letdown. Anyone else feel that way?

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Not I.:D

I :love: this album.

TSWisla, 905, MultiMan and 1 other person like this.
  3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

listen to it on vinyl. It's a different experience.

4. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I'd recommend you give it a few more spins, away from the "GS" stuff. It will grow on you.

Crimson Witch and Freedom Rider like this.
  5. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

Excuse me, my ya-yas are out, gotta stick 'em back in.

Crimson Witch and ARK like this.
  6. bw

bw Forum Resident

One of the greatest albums ever made.

I love every minute of it.

7. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I like it and I thinks it's their best live recording. Recently, I played Love You Live after Ya-Ya's and LYL sounded lame in comparison.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I like it a lot but I have a review of it written by Jon Landau for Rolling Stone back in the day where he panned it.
    In the same book which is a collection of his writings is a very positive review of Between the Buttons and a pretty negative one of Sticky Fingers!

9. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I'm not a huge fan, but primarily because the first recorded live versions I heard of most of the Ya Ya's cuts were on the 1972 unreleased Decca live album boot, and they're more raw and immediate (the way I prefer my Stones) than those on the officially-released record.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Just curious ....... how big of a Rolling Stones fan are you? This is without question their best live album ever, & one of the great live albums of all time, by anyone.

If you don't like "Ya Ya's", I don't suggest you dig too deeply into their catalog, 'cause this is near the very top of the heap!!!

Opeth, mbrownp1, The Beave and 3 others like this.
  11. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I've loved this album from my mid teens to me as it just sums up the Stones appeal - Jaggers vocals and Keith and Bill on the axes - taking you through the cream of the late sixties song book. Let down? Brought out the fan in me.

"Think I've bust a button on my trousers.Hope they don't fall down. You don't want them to fall down now do you?" :D

Herman Schultz and BeatlesBop like this.
  12. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned it's indespensable.

13. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It's not a soundtrack to the movie,

14. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

After hearing an earlier, unvarnished mix/edit of it, my love of the official version has waned. It's clear to me that Keith Richards was envious of Mick Taylor's ability, and many of Mick's best solos were left on the cutting room floor. You'll notice that there has never been an official live document of the Mick Taylor era that shows his prowess. Taylor's playing on Ya-Ya's is non-existent compared to the reality of the tour, based on the audience recordings, the movie soundtrack, et al.

It's an extremely overdubbed and misleading document. But then again, most of the Stones official live albums are.

That being said, I love the Stones and have seen them over a dozen times over the years. But they totally blew it when they drove Taylor away.

15. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Turn it up LOUD!!!

If I'm let down nowadays (I've had it since release) it is that the disc is too short. I'd like to see a an expanded boxed set from the tour. .

Lands End Drums likes this.
  16. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

If you could pick on something, maybe Jagger's vocals are a little weak in spots, but the band is sharp as razor blades from beginning to end.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I honestly would like to get more feedback about this poster's opinion. Is Keith Richards the type of man who would be envious of his lead guitarist's prowess? So much that he would leave Mick Taylor's best work on the cutting room floor?

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I was always disappointed to find out years later that it wasn't totally live; it had overdubs.
    When I was a kid I thought it was a real "live" album, warts and all...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

It's pretty obvious it's not a soundtrack. In any case it's tamer and less raw than GS or the boots I found on the web. Midnight Rambler is still great but I don't think this is THE definitive live album critics made it out to be. It's probably their best official live album but that isn't saying much because most of their live albums suck. BTW, I have everything by the Stones up to and including Exile and after that I have Some Girls, Black and Blue and a compilation.

20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

with all the great music out there I`m always wishing more unreleased material is released

21. James_S888

Yes.

22. Get the Gimme Shelter DVD, it has a better mix than the edited, overdubbed Ya Ya's album. The DVD has more of a concert vibe going for it but you'll have to get Ya Ya's for Midnight Rambler which didn't make it onto film.

jonnyhambone likes this.
  23. James_S888

24. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Paint it Black.... Paint it Black, Devils

I was not disappointed by the album. I would like to hear more Mick Taylor performances from that era--he's a badass.

geo50000 and rstamberg like this.
  25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

And your source for this is ......... ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.