Who's Next threads: Help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluesbro, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame Thread Starter

The old story, I tried to search for Who's Next threads and couldnt find one through the search. Anyone can help me out? Im trying to find info regarding the MCA 95 vs the Deluxe and the Canadian SH.

Any help is appreciated :wave:

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What do you want to know?

3. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I bookmarked two Who :)D) threads some time ago:

Who's on First
    Who's on Second

Maybe they'll help, although I was more interested in Steve's mastering.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

5. bluesbro

1) How bad is the 95 remaster?
    2) How good is the DE?
    3) Where can I get the SH remaster?
    4) Which version(s) do I really need?

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It is what it is. The remixed tracks (Baba, Love Ain't For Keeping, My Wife, Goin' Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes) are what they are - a bit different. The non-remixed tracks suck. Poor noise reduction.

Other than some NR on fades and quiet sections, very good. IMO the EQ is even a bit better than Steve's disc.

Original copies aren't that hard to find. Just be sure you get a disc around 43:26; the 43:15 discs are a different (inferior) mastering.

The Canadian copy is even easier to find, but has a few issues. "Blacked" between songs and a pop during WGFA.

Depends what you want. Steve's disc is the best place to get the original album fairly "pure". The 1995 disc has some remixes you might find interesting, as well as unique mixes of the bonus tracks, as well as a version of Too Much Of Anything that hasn't shown up elsewhere. The DE has a full disc of Young Vic material.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I got my Canada version of Who's Next at Amazon.com.ca (or however the Canadian site is addressed) for $10 IIRC; that's the Steve-mastered version, and my personal fave - my preference for CDs of old albums is for ones that sound like I remember the vinyl album did, and this version comes closest IMHO. It's MCABD 37217, made by MCA Canada in Willowdale, Ontario. As far as 4) goes, it depends on your need for bonus tracks, etc.; I just wanted the version with my preferred sound (a nice warm midrange, no added high end).

8. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Any wisdom as to how the MFSL fits into the scheme of things?

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

For better or worse, Steve's CD sounds nothing like either of my Decca LPs.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The EQ may be a little different from the 1995 CD, but the pre-production (remixes, noise reduction, etc) is the same.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Avoid the Decca LP. Steve's is the best sounding to these ears. I am not as big on either the remaster or the DE(though I love the bonus live disc on that, and it is well worth having).

Evan

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

So, does the Deluxe Edition sound significantly different/better than the '95 remaster?

I've always held off buying it because I'm not really interested in the live bonus disc.

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

One of the first things I did after I joined up here was to order that SH version from Amazon CA. I've no need for any other version. Some folks may like the Deluxe Edition for the bonus material but I listened to that Young Vic concert once and I think I can live without ever hearing it again.

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yes, the DE sounds much better than the 1995. The 1995 has a few remixes. The DE is the original mix.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I actually think a good remix could help, as the original mix is a bit "pinched", but...

And as far as the Young Vic show goes, IMO that's some of the best live Who ever. It's like Live At Leeds Part II. To each their own.

17. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I actually just purchased the Deluxe version, but I just realized one of my favorite tunes, "I Don't Even Know Myself", isn't on there. :sigh: Is the '95 remaster the best (only) available version of this tune?

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

It's on Who's Missing.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd have to check, but the version on the 1995 CD might sound a bit better. I don't think Steve has the greatest source tape for Who's Missing.

20. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Agreed.

Even if one doesn't like the mastering on the DE, how any Who fan could not have this makes zero sense to me. It is on the edge and a thrill ride!!

21. bluesbro

Damn. Looks like I need all three versions. I also love that version "Dont even know myself' :sigh:

22. Agree. Who's Missing has it sounding fairly compressed; there's also the Rarities disc if you can track it down, but that has a noticable tape drag in one section. It sounds very good on the 1995 disc (no NR as far as I can tell), so that's the one to go for. IMO of course.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That was my thought too, although IMO the tape drag is pretty minor.

24. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

So NR is only used during the intros and quiet sections, eh? That's it?

25. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

It's also compressed, from what I recall. I had no real problem with the EQ, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.