Best sounding Derek & the Dominos "Layla" CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kurtphyre, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

I would like to purchase the best sounding Derek & the Dominos "Layla and other Assorted Love Songs" CD. Can some of you point in the right direction?

2. finley1956

finley1956 New Member

best sounding versionof Layla - try this link

Layla link

finley1956

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

SACD, baby!!!!!

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

SACD and you are done. :righton:

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

MFSL.

6. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Most people will tell you that the SACD is the one to go for, but if you don't have an SACD player, then the MFSL redbook is the one to seek out.

7. kurtphyre

If I downloaded the CD off line, is their any way to tell which version I have? It's lossy though, 320 kbps.

8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

If it's lossy, it doesn't matter which version it is...it's still gonna sound bad.

Steve mentioned, in Dave's MFSL non-recommended thread, that the MFSL was as good as it gets..not those exact words, but when Dave had it as non-recommended, Steve jumped in and disagreed.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not the SACD. I guess the EQ is fine, but there's NR all over the intros, which some of us find quite annoying.

The MFSL and early 2 CD Polydor are quite close. Ever so slightly different in places, but I'd hesitate to call one or the other better. Although the MFSL does have the "hit it" intro to It's Too Late, which isn't on the 2 CD Polydor.

10. kurtphyre

I've looked on Ebay and the MFSL version is about twice as costly as the SACD. Will the MFSL version really sound much butter on a non-SACD CD/DVD player?

Here's a link to 2 of the MFSLs on Ebay -->
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Derek-The-Domin...goryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DEREK-AND-THE-D...goryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the best sounding version? Are there any websites that have it for cheap? BTW, what's NR? Noise reduction? What exactly does the SACD sound like with NR?

11. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

The MFSL sounds great, warmer sounding than the Polydor/RSO two-fer, IMO

12. $5.99 + tax for the SACD at yourmusic.com. Sign up through ebates and they give you a $12 rebate. Can't get cheaper than that.

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Other than the SACD, the West German 2 cd polydor is great.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Am I the only one bothered by the NR on the SACD?

moss likes this.
  15. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Let me get this straight: they NR'ed the intros ONLY?

Yuck. Nothing like a mid-song tonality change to scream "professionally mastered."

I have enjoyed both WG Polydor 2-disc edition and MFSL in the past. Sounds like those are the ways to go.

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Steve has said that the MFSL CD sounds like the master tape. Whether that translates to "best sounding," I really don't know.

17. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I just listened to mine the other night (but with one ear though. :D )

I didn't really notice any NR but I'll give it a closer listen tonight and compare with the MFSL.

18. kurtphyre

John, if you could compare them and post the results on here I'd greatly, greatly appreciate it! Although, if the SACD costs less than 1/3 the price of the MFSL, I'll probably just go with the SACD.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Try and find the old Polydor double CD set. Might have been manufactured in Germany, can't remember. A good pretty much flat transfer from the Tom Dowd tapes; no noise reduction, no digital compression, no digital EQ. Should be pretty cheap out there these days.

(Haven't read this thread, this might have already been mentioned, dunno).

20. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

While it is very good, there are two things that sets this apart from the MFSL:
    1. As mentioned above, the (non-musical) intro to It's Too Late is cut off
    2. The title song is eq'd differently, with a more restrained top end than the MFSL

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1. It's probably only a few bucks out there.
    2. The title song is EQ'd differently on the MFSL. The Polydor is what it really sounds like, like it or not. :agree:

22. kurtphyre

Is yourmusic.com something like columbiahouse? I tried to add the SACD to my cart to just purchase it but it's saying I must "subscribe" and that I get one CD free and all this BS. What's the deal?

23. kurtphyre

I've search on Ebay for "derek dominos layla polydor." most of the results bring up the SACD, or a 3 disc Anniversery box set. one auction brings up a 2 disc version, but in the description by Ebay, it says it's the SACD. here's a link ->http://cgi.ebay.com/Derek-and-the-D...Z4871085863QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The WG Polydor double is my favorite version too. I had various other versions (including the MFSL, Japanese mini-LP CD sleeve reissue, SACD), but sold them all.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Unless there's other NR I haven't heard and don't know about, yes.

Don't know if it's every song or not. I do remember doing a double take when I first put it in, though - there's no/little hiss for the first 3 notes of I Looked Away, and then this hiss (and the band) comes in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.