Layla - Derek and the Dominos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by finley1956, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finley1956

finley1956 New Member Thread Starter

Hello:
    I have six versions of Layla and other Asssorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominos. They are as follows:

Polydor - B0003640-36 - SACD edition
    Polydor - 31453 1820-2 - The Eric Clapton Remasters edition
    Polydor - 823 277-2 - 2 CD set
    RSO - 823 277-2 - 2 CD set
    Mobile Fidelity - UDCD 585 - UDCD II
    Polydor - 847 083-2 - The Layla Sessions 20th Anniversary Edition

I would like to get some feedback on how these versions sound to you.

Thanks

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

For the original mix, I prefer the MFSL.

However, I reach for the remix when I want to listen to the album. I know that's blasphemy, but I prefer to hear the album that way. I think Bill Levenson did an excellent job.

If I don't hear the scream at the beginning of Keep on Growing, it doesn't sound right to me.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I had several of the versions mentioned, and I prefer the RSO double.

4. Shakey

Shakey New Member

RSO - 823 277-2 - 2 CD set is all I need.

I've got some ATCO vinyl but I never listen to it.

I think the Polydor and the RSO may be the same?

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

How do they sound to you? Which one is your prererence? :)

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The SACD for me! Everytime I listen, I fall in love with this album all over again.

7. finley1956

I go with the MFSL - to me it has the best overall sound. Keep in mind, this is not exactly an audiophile recording.

8. I can't get to enjoy the remix of the whole album owing to the Apogee-assisted remastering.
    The same remixed tracks on Crossroads sound pretty good to me, they aren't fizzy or shrill like the later remasters.

Honestly, i think the original mix is best herd on the MoFi cd,
    and the best remix is the MC version on the SACD, just turn the bloody treble down when you play it.

9. button

button Senior Member

I recently won a German RSO where the number on the booklet and inserts is 823 277-2 but on the actual discs it's 823 392-2 and 823 393-2. What's going on here?

10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

That is blasphemy - the "Jim who?" mix as I refer to it. I mean, I know that Jim Gordon was a lunatic and murdered his mother and everything. But the sound of the percussion was a big part of Layla and I've always felt that it was a creepy bit of revisionism to bury his playing in the (re-)mix.

john lennonist likes this.
  11. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I've grown accustomed to this as well.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

stereo SACD or Simply Vinyl's deluxe treatment (one of the 'good' simply titles) for me. i don't have the MFSL. i'd like to hear bill levenson's remix--this album could benefit from some revisionism, IMO.

-eddie

13. What percussion, exactly, do you hear (or don't hear) buried in the remix? I don't think any of the percussion is missing and it's all audible. Unless I'm really missing something . . .

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

From that list I'd go with the RSO (I think I've had all of those at some point). If you were looking for vinyl I'd say the UK Polydor first pressing version.

:wave:

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I have the same one and Dave responded in the Classifieds this week-end it's the one he prefers. I like it too.
    It's the same as 823 277-2 on both and I am paraphrasing shows the MFSL how it's done.

16. finley1956

Thanks to all for replying.

finley1956

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

SACD blows away all comers.

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Same here.

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I got rid of the remix a long time ago so I can't compare, but working from memory... the drums were mixed WAY DOWN throughout the album (not the title track in particular) and the polyrhythmic work that Gordon added was largely buried. I think of it as the most radical remix of a classic album that has ever been issued.

Am I alone in this assessment? People?

20. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

So true. I was anxious to hear the version of "Layla" mastered by Steve Hoffman from the Rock Of The 70's series. And it still revealed several sonic flaws.

Cheers,
    Ivan

21. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Personally, I could not stand the remix. The original mix on the RSO Cd is all I need.

22. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I just got thru listening to the UK vinyl and the SACD. I am really impressed with the SACD, both surround and stereo. To get the sound of the vinyl to compare to the SACD, I had to adjust the VTA of the table. The table is a Kenwwood LO7D and the player is the Pioneer 578a

23. Is the SACD the remix or the original mix? (Not that it matters, I can't really tell the difference between the two anyway).

24. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The stereo version on the SACD, as I understand it, is the original version; no remix here. Evidently, the 5.1 is a new mix. :D

25. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

This is correct. The stereo and redbook layer on the SACD is the original mix while the 5.1 is a new mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.