Best sounding Derek & the Dominos "Layla" CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kurtphyre, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If it's two discs it's the original. That seller just has the stock info, which is saying SACD. The number listed - 4228232772, or 422 823 277 2 - is the 2 CD version.

I'm losing my mind...I thought I did clips for this album once. Guess not.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

click on the "How it works" link at the bottom of the yourmusic.com webpage. That will explain how to subscribe

3. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

So I could sign up today, order 1 or 2 CDs, then cancel my account in my "account settings?" They won't keep billing my card every month even though I cancelled my account will they?

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Too good to be true?? ;)

It is, most US residents here are members, I bet.

5. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Nobody's even mentioned the release that you will find in your average US record store if you look for Layla; a single CD remaster that cost me about $10 on sale earlier this year. I'm just a casual fan and this is the first Clapton recording I've ever purchased in any media. It sounds fine to me; no obvious over-NR or over-compression like some remasters. But I have no point of reference. What is so bad about it that everyone is recommending all these harder-to-find versions?

- Joe

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't know, I never cancelled my subscription. THere is a link to cancel on the "Help/Faq" page. Other forum member may be able to give you advice how to cancel. But for the most part, most of us stay subscribed and budget the ~$6.50 and make sure that we have CDs in the queue for the next few months. I would suggest that if you can't find 12 CDs (that list will last a year) that you want, then don't bother subscribing and find the one or two that you need elsewhere.

7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

That would be the Joseph Palmaccio remaster? Not bad at all! It's just that the Drake and MFSL were rounder and smoother when I compared. Besides some modern eq choices, Palmaccio usually does very good work. But since the question is about the "best sounding CD", it won't get mentionned often.

8. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Its not what the artist intended

I've a-bed the sacd and the mfsl. It was no contest the sacd blew away the MFSL.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Playback system, please?

10. John

John Senior Member

The MFSL is excellent, warm, smooth, open with tape hiss intact. I cant imagine you not liking it. It gives my US and UK original LP a run for the money.

11. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

Nobody here has talked about the "Layla Sessions" box set, so I will take that to mean that most are not pleased with it. All I can say is, I love the extra jams that come on the other discs with that set. I love that kind of stuff, especially from the classic rock greats like Clapton, Allman and Harrison. Can't get enough of that jammin' stuff. I love this box set. :cool: :goodie:

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The box is obviously necessary for the jams and outtakes, and while the remix is sometimes *interesting*, I prefer the original mix in almost all aspects.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I have the MFSL, the Box Set version, the SACD and the WG Polydor. (UK RSO vinyl too.) My preference:

WG Polydor: it just sounds right. Like the US vinyl copy I wore out in the 70's.
    MFSL: damn close, but the Polydor has a little more life.
    SACD: was surprised how nice it sounds, but it ain't what I grew up with.
    Box Set version: does nothing for me. The extras are cool, though.

MLutthans and driverdrummer like this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The surround on the SACD is great.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Like many of you, I have all the digital versions. Several LP copies too. My vote goes for the W. German Polydor CD in the "Chubby" 2 CD case. Hiss and all............

16. kurtphyre

All right guys, I have yet another question! I primarily listen to music in the 3 following ways:

PC: Chainteck AV710 --> PA2V2 amp --> Alessandro MS1
    Theatre: Sony NS75 DVD/CD player -->optical cable-->Onkyo R500 receiver --> Athena AS-F2s
    car: stock Toyota speakers

Will I notice much difference between the any of these versions you guys are recommending vs. my current CD I burned from 320 kbps mp3s? I'm going to buy the album, I just would like to know if I will be able to notice a drastic difference between the 2?

17. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

All of the discs will sound better than the MP3s burned to CD.

The double CD may be the best sounding, but I have had a hard time finding a copy.
    The SACD is a hybrid, so it will play in a cd player, and it sounds pretty good on its cd layer.
    Maybe not the best, but better than two other remasters I have.

So, try to find the double, and when you get frustrated, pick up a cheap copy of the SACD to tide you over until you find the double.

18. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

That's what I did. I used to have the Palmaccio, but I got rid of it in favor of the SACD. I recently lost my day job, and while I do have a side job, it doesn't bring in enough cash to allow me to go running around, looking for the better (but rarer and more expensive) versions. Unfortunately.

I have heard the MFSL, and it does sound nice, but with the 2-CD version out there I don't know that it's worth the hefty price.

Apart from the NR'd intros (which are a bit annoying), the redbook layer on the SACD sounds fine.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We report, you decide

Here you go folks - four CD versions of Layla for comparison. The beginning of the song and the beginning of the second half. All level matched in ProTools, but otherwise not touched. Samples are (not in this order) the original 2 CD Polydor (Drake), the MFSL, the SACD, and a mystery guest. I'll reveal that and which each is once a few have responded...

Layla sample 1
    Layla sample 2
    Layla sample 3
    Layla sample 4

20. kurtphyre

Wow man great post! I've been comparing these 4 and my 320 kbps mp3 version. My gear: chaintech AV-710 soundcard, PA2V2 headphone amp, Alessandro MS1 headphones. I find #1 to be the worse sounding, then #2 the second worst sounding. #3 and #4 are very close. I find #4 to have a little more low end so if I had to choose one, I guess I'd go with #4. I also think #4 makes the piano sound more like you're in the room with the pianist while he's playing the keys. And just for comparison, my .mp3 version sounds about identical to all of them ;)

I'm going to continue comparing and I'll post if I change my mind. I'm anxious to find out which is which. I'm guessing that #2 is the SACD version.

21. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I think I hear NR on the 1st, suggesting the sacd.

I agree 2, 3 & 4 sound progressively better

So #2 maybe the 2-cd Polydor

#3 maybe the MSFL

#4 maybe some German vinyl or History of Clapton LP?

Just a guessin' here :wave:.

22. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

My favorite moment on the box: the scream near the beginning of "Keep On Growing." :righton:

Chris

23. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Thank you for the post lukpac. My guesses are:

Sample 1 is a needle-drop CD, lots of mid-range and narrow stereo field
    Sample 2 is the 2CD Polydor, flat and crisp
    Sample 3 is the MFSL, ambient and smooth
    Sample 4 is SACD, tight and detailed

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm with you on that. When I burned myself a copy of the original mix I snuck the scream in, along with the extra percussion in the intro not on the original mix.

Interesting comments so far. Very interesting in fact.

25. I think GammaSpace may have it pegged. I'm not sure about 1 and 2, although 2 sounds slightly better. But 3 sounds the best, nice bass and smooth top end. 4 sounds too bassy and compressed, so it must be the SACD. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.