THE THREE STOOGES: Looks like Sony is putting color where it don't belong

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobo U2, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

2. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Ugh! Not again... :shake:

Gary

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Who's asking for them to be colourized????? :shake:
    Surely not Stooges fans!

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Yay... fake colors are back... :(

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Damn!

6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Did anyone like colorization the first time? :confused:

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

YUK! YUK! YUK!

:-jon

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sheesh. Why put money into something like that?!

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I still remember Popeye's colourized cartoons. They looked like a pastel-color feast!

I thought the madness would stop with "Gone with the wind". Seems I was wrong.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heh, what does GONE WITH THE WIND have to do with it? It was photographed in three-strip Technicolor...

I'd like to see what they've done, I gotta admit...

11. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I can't believe this!! :realmad:

It'll be the same thing all over again; I can just see Sony defending their actions with the same cockiness that Ted Turner did with his film libraries ("I think the movies look better in color, pal, and they're my movies." -- remember that?)

12. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Weird. I remember a classic movie being colourized and everyone complaining about it. It was made by Turner. I was pretty sure it was Gone with the Wind...

13. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Nope, GWTW is color 100% ... not colorized.

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Javier....perhaps you were thinking of Casablanca.

15. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Maltese Falcon was colorized by Turner. It looked so ridiculous. Pastel colors in a film noir genre flick. Pale pink, mauve, pale green.

There is a work around. Adjust the color on the tv to monochrome. Not ideal, but till the madness stops.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not really a workaround. Why? 'Cause in order to colorize a movie (back in the 80's-90's) they had to turn a black and white print into this all gray nightmare, reducing the white and black and leaving the gray. That's why you cannot just turn down the color; it looks like what it is----middle tone *****.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..and they have the nerve to release the same shorts that are available on the current rip-off DVD's! I'm tired of paying a premium price! at $24.95 list, there's not much of a discount window...I'm expecting a BOX SET when I purchase my last individual DVD release!:mad:
    Can't see any reason to colorize them...other than CASH!:rolleyes:...

18. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

That made me sick.

Several public-domain films suffered from it as well. "It's A Wonderful Life" (which was PD at the time) was colorized not one but two separate times, each by a different company. I still remember that when that first version originally aired here in L.A., the local news that immediately followed led off with a story about its controversial nature. It featured a Jimmy Stewart interview where he was saying how disillusioning these transformations are, taking viewers away from the original visual integrity of the films. That says it all right there.

19. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

**** it is. I wouldn't pay money have it. I love black and white.

20. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I wish we could find out who was responsible for this, as he/she has a noogie comin'.

21. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Why can't they take the colors that were on the set at the time from color photo's and colorize straight from those colors? Skin tones look horrible in colorized productions. Why can't they dupe the skin color from a color photo from the actors and zip it into the frame and colorize it that way?
    I have to admit that I enjoyed the colorized version of "All You Need is Love" for the Beatles Anthology. The process has probably improved since then. There were a lot of color photos of the set they shot from and they went by those photos to colorize the B&W footage.
    I know this is going to cause some controversy, but I would love to see AHDN colorized, if they used the latest and greatest of technology and went by color pictures from the set for authenticness. And the sound would be the original, restored mono that is already available but has not been issued.

22. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

And Turner wasn't the only guilty party when it came to colorization. Fox also got into the act and wrecked "Miracle on 34th Street." Disney took it upon themselves to colorize several of their live-action classics including, "The Absent Minded Professor," "Son of Flubber" and "the Shaggy Dog." I really hope that this Stooges disc does not usher in a new wave of colorized films. sheesh! :realmad:

Gary

23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

A few months ago, Hallmark played a colorized version of Angel And The Badman. It was a double whammy, because not only did the color look awful (it always is), there were lots of things they left in black and white. It literally gave me a headache.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

You should see the colorized Laurel & Hardy films from Cabin Fever issued several years ago.

Not only is the color BAD, but it resembles pastel color as opposed to say technicolor. :realmad:

Evan

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Stan Laurel wished that March of The Wooden Soldiers was in color the first time, and Stan would years later get his wish granted and have it colorized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.