Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why does it still say Let it Be ?

3. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It wouldn't have made sense for it to say HELP! ;)

Seriously, there's quite a bit of talk in the original thread about both movies before MMT was officially announced. Then all of the talk focused on that movie. The original thread has lots and LOTS of Let It Be discussion though, especially hopes/suggestions for what will eventually be released. God willing.

4. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Easter eggs (from http://www.dvdmg.com/magicalmysterytour.shtml):

At least four Easter Eggs show up here. If you click “left” from “Play Film” on the main menu, hit “enter” to see “Magic Alex Sings ‘Walls of Jericho’” (1:31). Go “up” from “Play Film” and locate “Fish and Chip Shop” (4:45). Opt right from “Audio Options” and discover “Jessie’s Blues” (2:16); head up from “Audio Options” and watch “Missing Dining Room Scene” (4:10).

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

At least? I've tried all conceviable options and only coming up with 4.

6. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Thank You!

7. helter

helter Forum Resident

So finally got to watch my deluxe edition with extras.
    Really enjoyed this package DVD with book
    Watching all the outakes was fun

There has been much criticism about the DVD not being true to the original film like the VHS release from the 1980's

I use to own the VHS release but it got sold with the contents of my family's video store about 13 years ago.

I prefer the deluxe release over the plain VHS release if I had a choice of only owning one, so glad I bought it.

Magical mystery tour is a bad film no matter which version you prefer so why get upset. It's not Citizen Kane

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Too much to read through. I don't have laser disc capability, so is there a good DVD version out there that has all the correct dialogue? If not, which VHS is the one to get for this original dialogue?

9. helter

helter Forum Resident

Just buy the new DVD. ^^^^^ it's not that big a deal

jsayers likes this.
  10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I am going to buy the BD deluxe set, but I always like to have an alternate (older DVD, VHS) if the new is changed. I do own the 1997 MPI MMT DVD that is included in the 4 disc set that has Help!, MMT, The First US Visit and the The Making of Hard Days Night. Is that MMT DVD all I need for the correct dialogue?

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Anyone else?

12. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

There are versions of the DVD out there with the correct dialog/opening song. But I'm not sure I'd call the DVD "good". The ones I've seen have a TERRIBLE looking picture. Actually the sound wasn't great either.

13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

IT IS. Because something so obvious as the MMT title song is totally wrong :(

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

As I'd wrote before,the Bottom "Shooting Stars" and Menu End "Half Moon" bumpers!:sigh:

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

LIB ain't happening. Even Wal Mart has thee MMT DVD though.

Evan

16. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It'll happen. If we can get a Deluxe version of MMT on Blu-ray with a ton of extras, we can get Let It Be.

I think the extra content will really determine if the Let It Be release is a success or not, at least to the fans - it won't be the movie per se. Although getting it in ANY incarnation at this point would be a boon.

Surely, Apple/McCartney/Starr and the estates get feedback when something like MMT is released and so many people are saying "But where is Let It Be?". They HAVE to know it would be popular among their fan base.

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

They are incredibly rich and really have no need for more money, or to satisfy the cravings of their fans. They do things just to stroke their ego and build their legacy. (I know, you say, how can MMT add anything to their legacy? ....and I agree.)

But MMT has always been Macca's baby. His "rolly polly little artsy fartsy film" that Spielberg studied in film school. (yeah, right). So Pauly issues things like MMT and the Naked remix of Let it Be songs to stroke his own ego.

18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I watched the bonus features again yesterday. They really gave me a much better appreciation for the other cast members and how good they were in the movie, odd as the movie is. Until I got the DVD set I always tended to key on the Beatles and never paid much attention to the others. Ivor Cutler, Nat Jackley, Jessie Robbins , Derek Royle and Victor Spinetti (of course) did a nice job, given the limited character development they were given to work with. The bonus features really flesh out the whole Magical Mystery Tour experience IMO.

19. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Over the past two weekends I finally had the chance to watch everything on the MMT BD, and rewatch the main feature with McCartney's commentary. I'm one who is very happy to have anything MMT related, and very happy that this package was released at all. Disappointments as noted by others that the soundtrack was botched compared to the Laserdisc. I have the LD, but unfortunately right now don't have a working player anymore. I do have the very nice unauthorized DVD that was mostly made from the LD, so I'm not devastated by Apple's screw ups (sadly I'm used to them.) I wasn't impressed at all by the new 5.1 soundtrack. After as great as the Yellow Submarine 5.1 mixes were, I expect every new Beatles mix to be at least that good considering how old those are now. MMT mixes don't measure up with YS at all. I also thought that Paul's commentary throughout the film was incredibly boring, no real new insights shared, and pretty pointless. That's common with commentary tracks that I've heard, so it's not just him.

On the up side, I was impressed by the quantity and quality of the bonus features and easter eggs. There seemed to still be considerable unique footage included in the documentary on the disc that wasn't included in the longer BBC version, and vise versa. Even with overlap, they compliment each other well, and I'm thrilled to have both available. All of the other bonus goodies were equally interesting, though some more worthy of multiple plays than others. Better to be included than not, in my view.

Bring on Let It Be! ...as long as they get someone to do it right from beginning to end. Odds of that happening? Probably slim all the way around. :sigh:

20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You just described most of the artists on the planet. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder though.

21. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Honestly, MMT is pretty bad IMO. WHERE'S THE LET IT BE BLU RAY??????!?!!!!!!

22. marke

marke Forum Resident

Strangely enough I picked up a copy of Let it Be in Booval Shopping Centre of all places. A guy was selling cds and dvds and I saw it nestled there. I snapped it up for $10.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One sneaky way to find out if there are more Easter Eggs is to disassemble the DVD by decrypting it and examining the individual files. Once in a while, you find a lone file that doesn't have a conventional menu path, and it has a self-contained segment separate from the rest of the movie.

Not that I would condone doing such a thing... :whistle:

24. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll "investigate" and see what comes up!:)

25. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

MMT deluxe box on sale now for only $71.98AUD at ezydvd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.