Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I understand, but there was also a lot of mistrust, disputes/lawsuits, etc between Apple and EMI over the years that slowed things down (such as the Beatles entry on iTunes). Maybe Apple and its veto yielding directors will be more receptive to collaborating with the new partner (Universal)..........

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Maybe, but that's hard to say at this point. Universal is in a bit of disarray right now integrating EMI into its operations, they also have to split some of it with Warner, so that's another distraction. A lot of pending releases have been slowed, there's a bean counter in the way of everyone, but things may be back to normal as early as this fall, I hear.

3. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Again...won't get excited. I'll believe it when I see it. From what I've read in the past, a LOT of the problems for stuff coming out(outside of the "principal 4 parties" was Derek And Alister Taylor. Many times things were not put out due to a statement adding up to "that would be the obvious thing to do":rolleyes:. Yeah, so damn obvious, that is why we want it! Will we EVER get a promo video set(uncut!)? Shea? Let It Be?

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Maybe the only way "The Anthology" makes it to Blu-Ray is if the include "Promo films" as a Bonus feature? MMT came with a couple Promo films included and given the way "The McCartney Archive" releases are chopping up Bonus material included.

5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

If I am reading this correctly..you are saying Derek Taylor and Alistair Taylor were involved with releases being withheld ? Are you mistaking them for Neil Aspinall possibly ? Alistair had no working relationship with the Beatles after Allen Klein fired him in February 1969. Although Derek was back at Apple in the 90's in charge of marketing the various new projects, I don't think he had much say in WHAT was to be released or not released. He was in charge of marketing what WAS to be released. Derek died in 1997.

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, he must have meant Neil Aspinall -- who was, after all, the author of the most infuriating quote in Beatles history ... "That's a bit obvious, innit?"

Glenn Christense likes this.
  7. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Thanks guys, my bad. Had a brain freeze!:oops: Alistair was "Mr. Fix It".

Glenn Christense likes this.
  8. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

On Mike Portnoy's blog
    http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2841572.aspx
    ".I was thinking, hmmm...what do I really want to know from him that I don't already know??
    And it dawned on me, there was indeed something: so I asked him what the hell is going on w Let It Be on video/DVD/Blu-ray

And we talked about that for a few minutes...he said there's been technical and legal reasons its been tied up all these years (didn't go into details), but that it is indeed happening and finally in the pipeline for a release soon..and told me about all of the incredible hours and hours of unused footage there is (and I told him most of us hardcore fans know about and have it!)But it was pretty surreal to talk about it directly with him and hear it from the horse's mouth!! "

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Just found this story from here (via Bootlegzone) from someone who has spoke with Paul (dated June 12, 2013):
    http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2841572.aspx

"So after lots of small talk: how I saw Wings in 76, how awesome the new band is, how he sounds better than ever, the setlists have been great every tour, etc etc...I was thinking, hmmm...what do I really want to know from him that I don't already know??
    And it dawned on me, there was indeed something: so I asked him what the hell is going on w Let It Be on video/DVD/Blu-ray

And we talked about that for a few minutes...he said there's been technical and legal reasons its been tied up all these years (didn't go into details), but that it is indeed happening and finally in the pipeline for a release soon..and told me about all of the incredible hours and hours of unused footage there is (and I told him most of us hardcore fans know about and have it!) But it was pretty surreal to talk about it directly with him and hear it from the horse's mouth!!"

EDIT: Sorry, I see Gloi has already posted it...

lukejosephchung likes this.
  10. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

I know this is beating a dead horse probably.

Now we have MMT, Help and YS on Blue Ray. It was announced that MMT then LIB were coming out.
    The next release we have is BBC 2.

Any bets if this will finally make it out ?

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It wasn't announced by Apple -- it was leaked by the person who started the original thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-it-be-dvd-releases-thanksgiving-2k12.292274/

I think it will be released eventually -- and sooner rather than later. Apple is led by a businessman now, and not an old Beatle friend, and these decisions will be made for business reasons now, not for emotional ones. Not saying it will just breeze by all the Apple board members, but it will be worked out somehow, and Let It Be WILL be released on DVD/Bluray -- there's money to be made, and they all know it.

Personally, I'm much happier to have a new album by Paul and the two BBC sets this fall. If they pushed Let It Be back another year, I'm OK with it.

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I posted this on another thread, but makes more sense here.

I re-watched the film, and here are my amateur suggestions for making a better film from this footage:
    Items that need removed/or edited:

1. Start with "Get Back" in the opening credits. Paul's "Adagio for Strings" sets a lowered mood for the film from the start. I am not sure if the "Strings" should stay at all, but it does show the guys arriving. The opening credits should start with the rocker and project namesake "Get Back". The promo did this, and it was very nice.

2. Remove the following bits for the new edit:

a. The embryonic version of "Don't Let Me Down" is not good. Since it is on the rooftop in finished glory, it need not be here at all. There have to be better takes early, or a good one from Apple if you want it to appear (briefly) before the concert.

b. The embryonic "Dig A Pony" is terrible, and should be replaced with the album version from Apple (where the visuals are better anyway)

c. "You've Really Got A Hold On Me": Terribly uninspired version of a song we have them on record doing. There are much better oldies than this one

3. Do NOT show Let It Be & The Long and Winding Road back-to-back. As it is done now, you have two slow piano ballads back-to-back and it really drags this part of the film down. They did some spirited oldies at Apple. A couple of those would separate the ballads nicely.

Items that I could take or leave:

1. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer": It did not make the album, but they seem to be enjoying themselves. But I could certainly see dropping it to make room for better moments.

2. "Oh Darling!": did not make the album either, and is unnecessary, though short

3. "Kansas City/Miss Ann/Lawdy Miss Clawdy": This medley does not dazzle me, and I think better ones could be used. But, I could see it being kept, as they seem to be enjoying it.

4. "Dig It": They seem to be enjoying themselves again, but it is not very good. Maybe shorten it.

Scenes that are successful in the current film with little to no change:

1. "Two of Us" with John and Paul on mic together and having a good time

2. "I've Got A Feeling" is energetic and interesting

3. Paul and Ringo's piano song is fun

4. The fight with George and Paul into "Across The Universe" can add some good drama, and is historically accurate to show the strain on the session (although the strain should not be the focus), and explain why ATU is on the album. The playing of this weak version of ATU should be shortened.

5. "Suzy Parker": This should be the entire performance. They had to be having a great time with those backing vocals.

6. "I, Me, Mine" with the John and Yoko Waltz is charming, especially since George says "Its a heavy waltz" as he introduces it.

7. "For You Blue" with band arrivals at Apple

8. "Besame Mucho" (but maybe shortened a bit)

9. "Octopus's Garden": It is nice to see George helping Ringo. I know it doesn't make the album, but it is a charming scene, and gives a hint at Abbey Road.

10. Paul's first, jazzy "Long and Winding Road" is fun, but I would cut before the serious part. We get plenty of TLAWR later.

11. "Rip It Up Medley": It needs to be edited, perhaps like the Anthology track

12. "Two of Us": I assume it is the album take they show

13, "The Long and Winding Road": but see above

13. "Let It Be": but see above

13. Rooftop Concert: Of course

Items they need to add for a new cut:

1. There is a better talking bit between Paul and John about One After 909 than is included in the film. I think it was on Fly on the Wall. Instead of just Paul talking about the song, he and John discuss it enthusiastically

2. The scene where they say hi to Billy Preston. He just kind of appears on organ in the current film. That scene from Anthology where they are glad to see him needs to be here after they come into Apple (during For You Blue). He is an integral part of the improved mood at Apple.

2. More of the best oldies. There are fine musical moments there for complete musical performances: Hi Heel Sneakers, Gone, Gone, Gone, Maggie Mae, Because I Know You Love Me So, Honey Hush, Fancy Me Chances

3. Possible Medley's: There are a lot of short bits of old songs that are great. A creative edit might be possible to bring out the best parts of those.

4. John's tuning up ditty. He sings a nifty little song while tuning up, and we need more positive Lennon moments.

3. Dialogue with them discussing the concert plans that I believe made the "Fly on the Wall" disc. In the current film, I don't think it is explained very clearly why they are up on the roof. Paul talks to John about the nervousness of performing, but not the rooftop.

Yet again, I am just a fan, but that is some changes I see.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.