Morrissey - Viva Hate (re release) (Mar. 26, 2012)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smiths22, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

EMI Present:

'Viva Hate'
    Remastered by Stephen Street
    Release date: 26th March 2012

And

Record Store Day Single:

'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'
    Remixed by Ron & Russell Mael
    Release date: 23rd April 2012

EMI are pleased to announce the release through the classic Liberty label of a remastered version of Morrissey's debut album Viva Hate, and limited edition Record Store Day Ron & Russell Mael remix of his debut single 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'.

Upon its release in 1988, Viva Hate announced to the world Morrissey's debut as a solo artist with an outstanding collection of songs which included the singles 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. The album charted at no. 1, having a chart stay of 20 weeks between March and August 1988, vindicating Morrissey in the face of those who doubted his ability to transcend The Smiths.

The album has now been remastered by original producer Stephen Street and the artwork - whose photo was changed for an EMI centenary edition in 1997 - has had the original photo restored. In addition, it features 'Treat Me Like A Human Being', which replaces 'The Ordinary Boys', and a written introduction from Morrissey's long-time confidant Chrissie Hynde.

Previously unseen, stunning photos from Jake Walters and Kevin Cummins adorn the sleeves and booklet. The album will be available on CD and vinyl. The LP version will be a 180g heavyweight, gatefold vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve.

Following the album's release, on April 23rd EMI will release a limited edition 10-inch picture disc (Kevin Cummins' photo) of 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)', a remix of the song by Ron & Russell Mael, who have taken the track and given it their distinctive, inimitable touch: the perfect alliance between two artists who have great admiration for each other. The single will be b/w two previously unreleased BBC live tracks: 'We'll Let You Know' and 'Now My Heart Is Full', recorded at London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in February 1995.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. Beat me to it.

Can't believe he's deleted Ordinary Boys. And what's with the Gothic typeface? He's always trying to re-edit his back catalogue. Southpaw Grammar was resequenced and had new artwork (why?), ditto Maladjusted, which lost an original song (ok, it was the naff Roy's Keen, but still ...), while gaining a bunch of B Sides.

When EMI agreed to reissue the back catalogue , Viva Hate was meant to get a deluxe reissue, with or two bonus discs, including the full Wolverhampton gig. Plans were radically downscaled.

Cool back cover though.

3. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

This is disappointing, I wish he wasn't so intent on re-writing his own history. Ordinary Boys isn't one of the best songs on the album, but it seems unnecessary to "replace" it. Surely there's room for bonus tracks?

I love Morrissey's early solo material (up to Your Arsenal) but this reissue program has to be one of the most ill-conceived ever.

4. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Not happy with the removal of "Ordinary Boys", either. Why do this?

For some of us, the album is what it is and we'd prefer the original tracks and order. Remastering is fine, even artwork alteration doesn't bother me much. But messing with the tracks means it's no longer a "re-issue"....more of a "re-make".

5. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I LOVE "Ordinary Boys". Always has been one of my favorite tracks on the album. I know even this is getting to be cliche, but paint a vulgar picture, indeed.

6. frank010

By the way, this is ALL Moz's doing, not the record company's.

Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I are due a reissue later this year. I really hope he doesn't mess with those, especially the last two, which are his best solo albums.

Again, these were meant to get deluxe versions, but they probably won't.

As for the new back cover of VH, it looks like a Jake Walters shot from the early to mid 90s.

7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I'm baffled by him getting rid of "The Ordinary Boys". Crazy.

8. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I guess PaVP was directed at the record companies, but i think the spirit applies to this individual as well.

Hopefully the latter two reissues will sound at least as good as the originals do and I'll happily pick them up. As long as there aren't some tracks missing! ;p

9. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Yeah, and I thought the pic seemed to be a little more recent than the album on which it was going. looks closer to Vauxhall era, no? No earlier than Your Arsenal for sure.

10. frank010

I'm thinking Vauxhall. He looked a little leaner and the quiff was more pronounced in the YA period. Plus the photo is definitely by Jake Walters.

11. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

My face when Moz replaces every song on Kill Uncle

[​IMG]

12. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

I'm baffled by the old English font. Actually, I'm just baffled.

13. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

As much as I love the Smiths and a large part of his solo output this guy really has his head stuck in his ___. After 30 years in the business he still has not realised that fans are ____ off when songs are removed from album re-issues. Third album butchered now and probably more to come. What an idiot. I feel like taking all his CDs and chucking them in the dustbin.

14. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Trust morrissey-solo.com to deliver

:)

Anyway... I like the song Ordinary Boys, but why shouldn't Morrissey change things if he wants to? It's his album. It's kind of like a writer who makes changes to his novel with every new edition because he thinks it'll make it better. Problem in this case though, is that the 'new' tracks may well be of lousy demo quality. We'll see.

15. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

It's the age old question -- why does Lucas keep changing his Star Wars movies?

It could make it better, who knows...but albums can be very personal and, when the artist messing with them, it can actually hurt them in the pocketbook. For example, take me....I probably would have jumped on this if it were the same tracks or a 2LP with extra tracks, no worries. But missing a track? Not so sure, now. Maybe I'll just look for the original LP instead.

16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Not really. If you are an artist and want your stuff to remain yours only then you should not publish it at all.
    Anyway, never mind, count me as a lost sale. Not that he really needs my money. He has made enough stealing the work of his former bandmates.

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  17. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Just to spite him, right now I am BLASTING Ordinary Boys from my US Sire pressing. It sounds great and the song is just beautiful.

As said above, I have no need to buy a remaster, especially if it's missing this song.

18. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear this...

19. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

If Ordinary Boys is included among the bonus tracks, I still might get this. But with the anachronistic picture on the rear sleeve, and the fact that this will probably be packaged in a cheap carboard sleeve like the Bona Drag reissue, my enthusiasm is really dampened.

If the only change to the album had been remastering, I would have bought it instantly out of devotion. But now...meh.

20. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Without the Wolverhampton show on a second disc mentioned by frank010 above, I think I'll just stick with the Centenary remaster of Viva Hate. To me, it does sound better than the Sire original which I had for nearly 20 years before picking up the Centenary remaster last year. The only problem with the Centennary remaster was the cover art. To solve this minor issue, I just swapped out the Centenary booklet for my old Sire booklet.

Morrissey can do what he likes, but I think "Ordinary Boys" -- while not a standout track -- is integral part of the album, and can't imagine it without it.

On the other hand, I didn't have any problems with the 2010 Bona Drag remaster despite some complaints over transitions and sequence changes (and maybe missing notes). Well, at least he didn't remove a whole track..and again I think the sound was better on that remaster than the original.

21. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I'll stick with my US Sire pressing. Sounds great, and is presented as it was originally intended. Silly to remove/substitute tracks.

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Idiotic

23. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

This version should be called Viva Hate....Naked.

24. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Really dislike the new album cover and the gangsta/gothic font. Just that alone seriously irks me. I mean, the original cover is almost kind of iconic. Why change that?

And yes, I'm quite happy with my original Sire version.

25. frank010

Keep the originals, boycott the remasters. I might sit this one out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.