Morrissey - Viva Hate (re release) (Mar. 26, 2012)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smiths22, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginge

Ginge Well-Known Member

Morrissey would disagree with you. He does plenty of complaining.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm aware of that. If I had had the career that he has had, I should like to think I wouldn't complain about it, but, when you're the guy who wrote "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now," complaining is built into your act.

sunking101 likes this.
  3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

To listen to "Life Is A Pigsty" you need to pass "The Father Who Must Be Killed" that is usually where I stop :laugh:

4. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I liked the new songs he was playing live last year which he recorded for a BBC Radio 1 Janice Long session. His live shows in the UK last June were superb. I hadn't seen him live since the Smiths but my wife is a huge fan so i went along with her and i was very impressed. Didn't like the second guitarist (not Boz) stepping forward for all those guitar solos but the man himelf was in great voice.

It does seem the case that he is impossible to work with now from a record company point of view. He seems to think everything is someone else's fault and he is being maltreated. I suppose it feeds into his longstanding persona of being hard done to by life. Seems a shame that his myriad prejudices (and also his legendary capriciousness) are now at such a level that he is completely unable to forge any longstanding or even short term business relationships in order to get his work out to his public.

It also seems pretty clear despite his many frustrations that Stephen Street would relish rekindling a working relationship with Morrissey and finally produce and write that follow up to Viva Hate that never was allowed to happen. Not a chance the man himself would have the clarity of thought or humility to even entertain that idea though.

5. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Co-incidentally, I listened to this the other day for the first time in forever, and yes, its still awful. Still two and a half good tracks; 'The End of the Family Line' which I think wouldn't sound out of place on one of the Smiths albums, 'Driving Your Girlfriend Home' are the two. 'Mute Witness' is the half.

spacedyed likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I must be alone, in quite liking Kill Uncle :help:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

No way, I think it's quite good, too. :wave:

sunking101 likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ok, somebody start a Kill Uncle appreciation or elimination thread ;)

9. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I like this album too, and never bought into the hate. Although it is different to most of his other material, so I can see why it gets neglected. However I am probably biased because it is actually the first Morrissey album I ever heard, before I had even heard any Smiths albums. When it came out in 1991, I was in high school and some of my new friends were into Morrissey and The Smiths and introduced me to the album. The next thing I heard from him was the My Love Life single (US version), which has a similar style. So my first impression of Morrissey was different from a lot of people's.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

There Is A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends is a good song, the problem is the version on Kill Uncle is awful.

11. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

No. It's for 'Vauxhall & I'.

12. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Ringleader Of The Tormentors is a really really really really good album. My dad beat up a guy who didn't like it and the judge let him off off 'cos he agreed the guy should have ended up in hospital for a while.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

But seriously, Ringleaders should have been called Viva Poop.

14. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Maybe I'm just missing the joke here, but the tracklist you posted is obviously Kill Uncle.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

That's the joke.

The idea that Morrissey would "fix" one of his best albums by replacing it with one of his worst.

16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The joke is that in the Vauxhall and I re-ssue he will manage to remove tracks from V&I to replace them with tracks from Kill Uncle. I would be careful with these jokes because they might end up being true.

EDIT: George was faster than me!

17. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Which vinyl pressing of the original version should i be looking for?

18. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

hi_watt and Rottenstain like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I'm very happy with my CP32. (different mastering than the original domestic CD)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.