Morrissey - Viva Hate (re release) (Mar. 26, 2012)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smiths22, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Is that CD or vinyl? I have a UK first vinyl pressing (bought the day of release), and both CDs (the original and EMI Centenary edition with that ugly cover and anachronistic B Sides). The original CD sounds - and looks - fine.

I'm curious to hear the remastered version, but butchering it the way he has is utterly daft.

Casagrande's comment made me laugh though. Even if I think Kill Uncle's pretty good.

2. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

That's what I have done so far. I have none of the reissues. For Viva Hate I will stick to my Parlophone CD bought on release when I still had a better opinion of this idiot.

Looking forward to the re-re-re-issue campaign when the albums will be promoted as "finally complete"....

3. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

I concur: it's a pretty useless reissue. I'd forgotten that Treat Me Like A Human Being was already released as a b-side for the Glamorous Glue cd-single from last year. Which I actually own, but never bothered to listen to.

At least the remasters of Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted had nice bonus material.

4. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

He seems to have a real problem with revisiting his past. In interviews and live performances, he's generally pretty dismissve of anything he recorded before You Are the Quarry (aside from the few tracks that he's still "proud of"). I think the only way he can motivate himself to do anything with the older material is to somehow reinvent it, to create something new. It's a shame someone with better business sense doesn't step in and prevent him from doing this. Everyone involved would have made a lot more money out of standard deluxe editions of this and Bona Drag.

It could still happen someday, it just won't be part of this reissue campaign.

5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I spotted that bit on the lyrics to "This Charming Man" and more or less in any song ever since. :laugh:

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Wow - this guy has no shame whatsoever at this point. He was quite a poser back in the day it turns out. Still love the Smiths catalog and much of his solo output, but I won't buy any further releases from this guy. No tacky badges either.

7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It's "alright",nothing special.

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Hmm I wonder what tracks he'll replace on "Your Arsenal" or "Vauxhall and I".....

9. frank010

Probably delete "National Front Disco" and replace it with There Speaks A True Friend and Pashernate Love.

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Stop the madness! :laugh:

11. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I'm not sure if you were joking or not here, Frank, but I honestly think that's EXACTLY what is going to happen.

I picked up the new Bona Drag (because I never owned it on CD before!), but otherwise, I've been ignoring these remakes/remodels/reissues too. They don't really bother me that much -- he can do what he wants, I guess -- but they haven't inspired me to purchase either. A big fat "meh" from me.

That said, "Ordinary Boys" is one of my favorite songs on Viva Hate, and I also do not care at ALL for that recasting of the cover logo. Yuk.

12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It's not clear there are any bonus tracks according to the press release the OP posted.

I don't understand why tracks are being removed and replaced. It's nuts.

13. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Who TF is Morrissey? :)

14. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I'm buying 100 copies.

15. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Yes,"National Front Disco" seems to be the most obvious track to go given all the publicity in recent years,but it wouldn't surprise me if he left it on "Your Arsenal".

I like the idea of these reissues but would really like a new album as well.

16. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Why do so many of you care if Ordinary Boys is on there or not? It's not like you're required to turn in your original release in order to buy the new one. Afterall, isn't the purchase all about the bonus tracks (as much as we despise shelling out $18 for 2 or 3 new songs).

17. hutlock

I agree in principle with your statement -- it isn't like the original version is going to disappear! -- but I don't think there are bonus tracks here (outside of the one cut replacing Ordinary Boys, which was already available anyway).

18. hutlock

For that matter... doesn't look like he's even included "Hairdresser on Fire" on this version!

19. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

now that's not good

20. Colin Allstations

Unlikely as he's played it live in recent years.

'We'll Let You Know' is way more contentious, but again, most with an IQ of at least.... say, 6 or thereabouts can see it is clearly a character song.

21. Colin Allstations

As for dropping 'The Ordinary Boys', he's obviously just dodging responsibility for naming Samuel Preston's low-quality band.

sunking101 likes this.
  22. frank010

I was kidding, Hut. It's one of his greatest songs too. But, seeing as he's decided to inexplicably maim his debut by deleting a decent (but not great) song and replacing it with a substandard outtake (Moz doesn't have any gems in his vault), I don't see why he shouldn't go the whole hog and start messing with the near perfection of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall.

23. frank010

:D:D:D:D:D:D

24. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Hey frank, I have both the original US CD and vinyl. Both are superb, but I've never compared them to anything else. I'd love to hear the original UK vinyl!

25. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I really don't see the need to 'tweek' a classic album that most Morrissey fans would consider his best.
    I think 'Ordinary Boys', is a great little song. I'd love it if we all decided to boycott the re-issue and download 'Ordinary Boys' instead making it a huge hit.
    That would really pee him off...haha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.