Band On The Run Re-Issue: DOWNLOAD CENTRAL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK someone needed to do this, and some wise soul before me suggested this.
    Here it is folks a place to compare notes, share tips & go download craaaazzeee, download happy, download-download-download. And it also de-clogs the original thread. Ta-da, like music thread liquid plumber...enjoy!!

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Good call and it can only be a good learning experience to hear of people's issues and the suggested resolutions.

3. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

good idea. I am anxious to read others' experience. I got really leery of buying the download, after hearing complaints. It shouldn't be that hard. We can send a man to the moon, etc. etc.

4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

What do you do after you download hi-res files (i.e. how do you listen to it)? And if you burn it to a CD, is the sound quality downgraded to that of an actual CD?

5. kjb

kjb Member

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I bought the 3 CD/1 DVD set and it came with a code to download the limited and unlimited files. I entered the code and the download started immediately. When the download finished, I tried unzipping the files. It would not work. I sent Topspin an email and they replied back with download links for each individual song, unlimited. I have only downloaded about half of the songs but so far, it works wonderfully. It was just a little snag. I'm all set now! Oh, and it came with a PDF. I have not opened that file yet but it says that it's the "Band on the Run: Expanded Booklet". In case anyone was wondering, I was using a PC and I was on Firefox.

7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Still haven't heard back from Topspin about the fact that my download is corrupt. Given that I didn't actually buy the set from them I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to help. Not sure who else to get in touch with though...

8. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Who did you buy the set from?

9. Paul H

Amazon.

10. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

On the corrupt zip, have you tried 7-zip? I thought my Dios dwnld was bad but that program opened it. It's free.

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am going to follow this thread, it is specific for the concerns that I have.

12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I bought the deluxe edition with 3 CD's and the book and downloaded the zip file but it was corrupted. I contacted Topspin and they sent me links to the individual unlimited tracks - all 18 - and I downloaded them no problem.

I put all the tracks into iTunes and burned a CD with all 18 tracks and I think it sounds great! They say they are the full lossless WAV in iTunes but I'm sure they were downconverted when I burned the Cd but the disc sounds terrific! Topspin was very fast in sending me the links to get the unlimited files.

13. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I also bought the 3 CD/1 DVD book and got the downloads via the card within. Everything downloaded just fine. My download setup was Firefox on a Mac laptop using Snow Leopard as the OS.

14. neil

neil Senior Member

dvda authoring for mac

Can anyone suggest a dvd-a high rez burning software for a mac?

15. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

DiscWelder Bronze works fine. Here's the link for more details. Note that there's also the Bronze 1000m version, although I've never tried it.

Best,

Robert

16. mwheelerk

I would assume that most who bought the download have a "music server" type of system set up (but I could be wrong) and would simply listening to the 24/96 files via that source. Other options would be to burn the files to DVD where the full 24/96 resolution would be preserved and listen via a capable player or to burn the files to CD at which point the resolution would be standard redbook 16/44.1 but then could be played in any CD capbable playback system but without the benefit of the high resolution files.

17. mwheelerk

They would be 16/44.1 versus 24/96. When you burn them from iTunes to CD you more that likely had Audio CD checked.

18. Paul H

Can I just ask: if I were to burn the hi rez files to CDR would I need to carry out any downsampling/dithering before ripping or will ripping software (I use Nero) do this automatically?

19. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

These digital downloads are in high resolution 24-bit/96 KHz, right? There's an option of getting "unlimited" (i.e. uncompressed) audio or getting "limited" (i.e. compressed) audio. Does anyone know how much limiting or compression is being used?

20. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

This seems like a more logical way -- individual files -- instead of gargantuan GB-sized downloads. My internet connection is very finicky lately.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

None.

22. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

If anyone is interested, here's the Dynamic Range Analysis of the uncompressed 24/96 BOTR. I grabbed this from the Internet but it is from a reliable source:
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR     Peak      RMS       Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR13 -0.16 dB -15.95 dB 01 Band on the Run.wav
    DR13 -0.01 dB -14.73 dB 02 Jet.wav
    DR13 -1.67 dB -17.35 dB 03 Bluebird.wav
    DR11 -1.12 dB -14.64 dB 04 Mrs Vandebilt.wav
    DR11 -1.73 dB -14.94 dB 05 Let Me Roll It.wav
    DR13 -1.71 dB -17.14 dB 06 Mamunia.wav
    DR10 -3.38 dB -16.18 dB 07 No Words.wav
    DR13 -2.19 dB -17.96 dB 08 Picasso’s Last Words (Drink to Me).wav
    DR11 -0.01 dB -15.26 dB 09 Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five.wav
    DR11 -0.91 dB -13.88 dB 10 Helen Wheels.wav
    DR12 -1.51 dB -16.16 dB 11 Country Dreamer.wav
    DR11 -1.26 dB -15.14 dB 12 Bluebird (from One Hand Clapping).wav
    DR10 -0.92 dB -13.16 dB 13 Jet (from One Hand Clapping).wav
    DR10 -1.08 dB -13.65 dB 14 Let Me Roll It (from One Hand Clapping).wav
    DR12 -0.41 dB -14.62 dB 15 Band on the Run (from One Hand Clapping).wav
    DR11 -0.70 dB -16.30 dB 16 Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (from One Hand Clapping).wav
    DR12 -5.61 dB -19.78 dB 17 Country Dreamer (from One Hand Clapping).wav
    DR11 -2.78 dB -15.59 dB 18 Zoo Gang.wav

Number of files: 18
    Official DR value: DR12
    The vinyl still has more dynamics.

23. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

None in the uncompressed, obviously, but how much is being applied in the compressed version?

24. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

The limited version was about 3dB louder, give or take slightly.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Same as with the Beatles and John Lennon remasters. Same mastering team, same studios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.