Band On The Run Re-Issue: DOWNLOAD CENTRAL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

So if I download the flac files from HD Tracks do I need to do anything to the files in order to burn a music dvd on Toast with a Mac? Is it just a matter of dragging the flacs to Toast and burning a music dvd at 24/96? Sorry for the basic questions but this is all very new to me.

Alan

2. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

Ok, I bought a single song [Stevie Ray & Albert King 'Pride And Joy'] for $2.49 to work with before I start springing for entire albums. Using xACT, I converted the flac to aiff. The aiff retained the 24/96 info. I then burned it to a music dvd using Toast. When I play the dvd I send the signal to my dac and the 96k light comes on so I am assuming all is well. The song sounds fine.

Did I mess anything up by converting to aiff? When I burned the flac file the same way I burned the aiff playback was a mess so I assumed some sort of conversion was needed.

Let me know if I am on the right track here before I pick up the BOTR [and eventually ATMP, Damn The Torpedoes,........]. Thanks!!

Alan

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I have Toast 10 and have never had a problem going from native 24/96 FLAC to a DVD-V, but I've also never had a problem with native 24/96 AIFF to DVD, so you should be fine if that works for you. One thing that I *have* had problems with in Toast is downconverting from 24/96 FLAC to lower resolutions such as to burn a CD. It always seems to introduce some audible distortion, so I have to use other programs to make 16 bit 44.1 kHz versions of the files before making a CD. Similarly, bumping up to a higher bit depth and sample rate can be problematic for Toast (e.g. if you wanted to add a couple of lower bitrate PCM tracks to the same DVD as some high-rez stuff), but you can always use another program to "upconvert".

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I thought I'd point out that HD Tracks is an option available only to US customers.

5. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

So, if I just want to purchase the high-resolution download without the rest of the package, I can only purchase from www.paulmccartney.com, which sells through Topspin. Bugger! I cannot even contact store.Topspin.net this morning, all I get is a page load error and a "Network Timeout" message. I think I'll just have to write to Santa Clause and hope that he'll leave it under the tree :shh:

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I had no problems either. I realize I'm a little late to the game (posting), but I downloaded using Topspin for both the Limited and Unlimited, as well as the original bonus tracks. I have a fairly fast cable modem which helped in downloading the wave files, but it is possible (that's why I'm quoting and giving this a late night bump) to download the wave files and have everything work out as planned.

I got the same info that Dan posted (thanks Dan!), and was able to burn using Nero. I realize that many people, or maybe some people is a better description, but it sounds as good as the downloaded files. So if you have reservations, at least some people here at SHF had no problems with the buying, downloading and burning of the music. Sounds great to me!

7. labjr

labjr Forum Resident

Dan,

I tried lplex once and had a bad experience. Seemed to burn okay then on playback some of the audio played but most of it was loud white noise and squealing.

8. Mok

Mok Has Potential

No problem whatsoever downloading the 8.5 GB deluxe digital download from Topspin. I wonder why they're charging more for the HR files only ($35.99) than the deluxe with the bonus tracks, video downloads, and both versions of the HR files ($29.99). Seemed a no-brainer to me to get the deluxe with all that extra and pay less...

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I just lost my copy of Toast 10 Pro. Is there a good free program for the Mac I can use to burn the hi-res to dvd before I contact Roxio and deal with them?

10. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Dan...thanks for those awesome instructions. Burned 24/96 DVD-V last night and happy with the results.

11. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Did anyone ever mention that the ZIP format is limited to 2 GB on a Windows PC??
    The only dezipping program that worked for me is IAZARC... but you'll get only the first 14 tracks.
    Bigger, non-standard ZIPs only exist on a Mac. I dezipped them at work.

Martin

12. wunderhund

wunderhund Forum Resident

My recent experience:

I received a redemption code for downloading the hi-res files on paulmccartney.com from the Deluxe edition (bought for $58 at Costco). Gave the download from Topsin a whirl via Chrome on Windows XP. Once the nearly 5GB zip file was downloaded, I had the same problems with extraction as reported here previously: the "archive is corrupt" error message with WinRAR and WinZip.

I transferred the downloaded zip file to a Mac laptop and was able to extract the file successfully without any modification of the file and with the built-in OS X zip utility. Extracted: one folder for "limited" lossless .wav (18 tracks) and one folder for "unlimited" lossless .wav (18 tracks) plus one pdf of the liner notes.

Very appreciative that the hi-res tracks are available at all, but hope that online distributors will compress to flac or alac in the future to speed up download times and so that tags can be included.

Don't know how they sound, yet -- will be acquiring a Squeezebox Touch for my hi-fi very soon for streaming lossless/hi-res files.

Cheers.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

HDTracks is selling both the Limited and Unlimited 24/96 downloads as FLAC files for $19.98 each but that of course is without any physical media.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The prices the distributors of new media have forced on us is too much. Remember, downloading and manipulating those downloaded files is work. We should be paying less. Rant over.

15. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I wonder why still nobody told them that ZIP standard are files <=2 GB!
    This standard was extended in the MAC-world - but all the ZIP-prgrams I've tried on a Windows PC can't handle that.

Martin

16. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

FAILURE!

I got the book and HiRez files for xmas, entered the code and quickly got an IE error like I was disconnected from the net (now I understand IE 7 isn't supported). I then went to a different browser and now get an error saying my code limit has been exceeded! Boy, I'm getting excited about buying more hi-rez downloads where you pay and then get nothing but a hunt for customer support and hope it all gets fixed.

I have emailed TopSpin but assume it will be Monday before I get any reply.

The IE 7 warning should be on the redemption link and download process. I never saw the home page with browser limitations.

Now I read there are further issues with the zip files....

I assume I'll get a link per file and figure this out next week. I like the book--especially the size of the pages.

17. Update us with your success. I haven't used my redemption code yet.

18. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

I'm sick of all of the problems encountered trying to download music files.
    Give us the physical media! (Or at least the option for crying out loud)

19. mwheelerk

Sorry about your problems Lee. I only have about 150 titles primarily purchased from HDTracks but a few from Rhino and Music Is Here (oh, and the BOTR and ATMP from Topspin) and other that the occassional slow as snot download I haven't had any problems.

At this point it would seem to me to make marketing sense to continue to provide phyiscal media because it is still the major force in the marketplace but I can see the day when they will not and I am okay with it as I prefer downloads in many instances.

20. theanswer337

I downloaded a zip folder of the hi-res "Band on the Run" that had no files this morning. I'm still waiting to hear back from Topspin. As I exceeded my downloads.

21. theanswer337

I received an email from a Topspin rep. After I was able to prove my purchase I received a second email with two links. One for the Limited hi-res files and one for the Unlimited hi-res files. The email stated the links were time sensitive.

I downloaded the Unlimited files and, 8 hours later (using a cable modem), I now have the hi-res files.
    I guess I'll start downloading the Limited files tonight before I go to bed...

22. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

So I downloaded the uncompressed version from HDTracks and I have the flac files now

I am on a Mac

Sounds like to make a 96/24 DVD video that will play on any DVD player, all I need to do is convert the flacs to .aiff and burn in Toast 10, right?

Now if I want to make a CD, would I convert to 44.1/16 and then apply dither or apply dither and then down convert?

I generally use Peak LE, which has a Dither plug in or Soundtrack, which automatically dithers on downconversion I think. Any Mac people here know which would be better?

iPods don't support 96Khz, right? I'd have to down convert to at least 48Khz, right?

23. mwheelerk

For making an audio CD there is nothing more that you need to do than create a playlist from the album and then select burn playlist to disc and make sure audio CD is selected. Everything is taken care of for you.

24. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Forum Resident

Downloaded it. Loved it.

Please release more 24/96 non-dynamically-compressed McCartney - I will buy all that is offered.

25. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

What? The ancient ZIP format does have limitations, including a 4 GB file limit, but ZIP64 overcomes most of them and is supported in Windows Vista/7 as well as most other ZIP programs. Perhaps you're using a 32-bit operating system and hit the memory limit for a single process (2 GB)? Things like this can happen especially if you do drag & drop rather than using the extract feature of 7-Zip. If they did use ZIP64 though, it probably wasn't the best decision, especially considering the 96 kHz, 24 bit version of the album is less than 2 GB so could have fitted in a normal ZIP file.

Also, the 7z format can compress as much as you want (providing you have the enough RAM).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.