Band On The Run Re-Issue: DOWNLOAD CENTRAL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

EDIT: Just did a test with 7-Zip in Windows XP. It extracted a 4 GB ZIP64 file fine using the right-click -> 7-Zip -> Extract Here method.

2. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Oh, OK. I don't normally use iTunes for burning CDs, so I didn't know. Would I have to convert the flacs to .aiffs first? (does iTunes support flac?)

3. labjr

labjr Forum Resident

I think the best thing to use for dither is Izotope Rx.

4. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

cool, thanks

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

My file seems to download fine, but when I click on it, ot says the file is invalid. Downloaded from the macca site. I am using 64bit Win 7. Does that just mean I need to unzip it? Or does it mean something else?

6. ianhilluk

ianhilluk Forum Resident

Do you know whether the above process inserts gaps between the tracks? I have the Cirlinca DVD-A software and it has an option for gapless burning, so I guess my question is whether I should select gapless when burning a DVD-A for BOTR?

7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It does not insert gaps. If you want gaps you can change a parameter or two in the lplex.ini file, but default settings give you a black screen and no gaps.

8. ianhilluk

ianhilluk Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. So would you say that gapless is the 'correct' way to burn BOTR?

9. DanFromIndy

DanFromIndy Forum Resident

Yes.

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Can anyone help me with my question?

11. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Is it a ZIP-File > 2 GB?
    It can't be repeated enough that the ZIP-standard doesn't allow this - and ZIP-Files > 2 GB only work and exist in the MAC-world, not on a Windows PC.
    Unfortunately, there are commercially available downloads which don't care about this.
    I've tried every available ZIP program without any success. Only IRZarc decompresses the first 2 GB of the file, but not rest.
    No problems on a MAC, still... ;-(
    RAR should be used for big files.
    Martin

12. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Slightly ot, but I need to extract these hi-rez files from the computer they were downloaded to 'cause I'm sure my hard-drive is getting ready to bite it...can anyone explain to me how and what I need to take these files off my computer and then be able to dump onto a new pc?

13. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I just happened to be backing up my high-res files, and noticed that the file sizes on the 24-96 limited, and unlimited are exactly the same in each instance! Surely if one has had limiting applied, it's a different mastering, and therefore would be a slightly different file size? Wondering if I'd been sent two ZIP archives with both limited, or both unlimited!?

Just as an example, the Band on the Run title track is listed in both archives as 180,773,888 bytes.

Could anyone confirm whether this is the limited or unlimited version please? If limited I need to get back onto the suppliers for the unlimited...

Cheers,

- John

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

John, the two sets of files have the same file size (file size isn't determined by how loud or how much limiting is applied). You can clearly see the difference if you open the two files side by side using something like Audacity.

15. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Ah I didn't realise two files could be exactly the same size, from - what in effect - is a slightly different 'mastering' of each track.

Just been reading up about the MD5 checksums from DanFromIndy's very helpful instructions above, and fortunately mine are definitely unlimited (whew!). Going to try it on the limited ones just to check, though not really fussed about having those.

- J

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

the PCM format used by the wave files has a fixed 24 bit word size for each sample with a constant sample rate of 96kHz. Any two songs of the same length (down to the 1/96,000th of a second) with the same number of channels will result in files of the same size.

Regards,

17. ifoundout

ifoundout New Member

Does converting the wav files to FLAC degrade the sound quality in any way?

18. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

No.

19. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Does anyone have an email for Topspin? I finally downloaded my Band On The Run files today, but the first 12 unlimited tracks are invalid. The rest of the unlimited and all of the limited seem to be there, as I was able to extract them.

Thanks.

20. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

Is there any possibility to buy the hi-res unlimited album in Germany?
    HDtracks onl has the compressed version (at least in Germany) and I didn't find anything on paulmccartney.com

21. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

and where in the UK?
    I walk past Macca's offices twice a day, yet I am
    not allowed to buy his downloads!

22. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Nice post, useful info!

I don't suppose you have the MD5 values for the Unlimited Ram download do you? I've been having loads of trouble getting that particular one on to DVD, but no issues with the other albums in the Archive Collection.

DanFromIndy likes this.
  23. DanFromIndy

DanFromIndy Forum Resident

Thanks. I looked on this hard drive and all I have are the .flac files from RAM on here. Let me poke around and see if I can find where I backed the .wav files up to and I'll PM you the values if I find them.

24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Very kind of you, If you have them that would be really appreciated, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.