Brickwalled CD blacklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffcdo, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffcdo

jeffcdo Senior Member Thread Starter

Is there a site that catalogs poorly mastered/remastered CDs? A place to go and check before you buy? (other than here of course)

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is a database where one downloads the DR+ program and submits the .txt file. You can get an idea on how the ratings work on the site at dr.loudness-war.info

<edit>

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Neat website...

Just for kicks, I looked up "Raw Power" (1997) .. Yup, it's got the worst ratings possible.

4. burnthatcandle

burnthatcandle Forum Resident

interesting site, but glancing at what's there is a bit curious and the lack of full information is disappointing. For instance, they have a Pink Floyd - The Wall that has the lowest possible rating in one regard for a certain track ("The Trial", I think) - makes me think that the theory that just because something is brickwalled doesn't mean it's necessarily bad (the Hendrix EH's and others) gains validity and therefore a waveform plugged through a program isn't the final word.

I would LOVE to see some kind of database that did list the real offenders, particularly for new releases (which I've become so wary of buying in the past few years that it's started to affect my listening tastes: I'm listening to much less new music these days and I'm not really happy about that)

5. BradOlson

6. burnthatcandle

And those numbers for the Les Paul are really close to the numbers they have for the Guitar Hero version of Metallica's Death Magnetic (which I know is better than the CD, but....) this is what gives me cause for skepticism.

7. BradOlson

The DR+ database is the closest thing to a Brickwalled CD blacklist that we have as far as I know.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I thought every CD past 1986 sucked. ;)

9. BradOlson

But we know that is not the case. I used Les Paul Now's CD issue from 2004 as an example, and there are the DCC's, the best MFSL's, etc.

10. KeithH

I was just joking, Bradley. Hence, the ;). :)

11. burnthatcandle

And your sharing it is utterly appreciated! I've been scanning it for more than an hour now, looking for ones that I know are bad (Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before The Ship... for instance) and know that I should just shut up and contribute to it, it needs as much input as it can get.

12. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Thanks for the list Brad!

Anyone happen to notice that Steve's Elvis disc (24K Hits) is in the database? Any particular reason why it's listed as transitional?

13. Yes, that DR ratings site is a good database. Not enough titles listed yet, but those DR values are a good indication of the amount of brickwalling on a disc (not dynamic range, that is something completely different).

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Seriously, how do these "brickwalled", "too loud", "earbleeding" pieces of crap CD's, ever get released in the first place? I swear that when I put on a CD and it has this loudness issue, back it goes to the store and I get a refund. To me, it's no worse than a faulty LP pressing or a badly pressed CD.

Lately, my hearing has been REALLY touchy and I can hear everything when listening to music. I have a friend and we sometimes loan each other new albums, that the other didn't buy, just to see if it's worth it to buy. 85% of the time, I always say to my friend, that I can't even listen to some of them, because I get a headache within the first two songs. He always agrees, but he doesn't have the same ill feelings about this issue, as much as I wish he would. Of course, he listens to EVERYTHING way too loud, so he probably doesn't even know that they suck, sonically?

Chris C

15. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

I can't see the usefulness of this database when the new Audio Fidelity "Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton" gets the rating verlustbehaftet (= lossy) and measurements in the transitional range. Almost everyone in this forum is saying how good it sounds and I'm sure that Kevin Gray didn't use additional compression or limiting. So it seems that the original master was compressed on purpose, but in a musical way.

16. just because there's not much in the way of dynamics doesnt mean its been brick walled...does it.
    personally...I'd get the cd...I'd listen to it...If it sounded like dog s**t I'd take it back. My choice, my apraisal, my ears will decide.

17. BradOlson

That's what it means in this case.

18. BradOlson

19. BradOlson

There is a slight amount of brickwalling on the 1997 remaster of Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" album. Since this listing does have the songs in the original playing order, you will notice the 9 ratings on "Chameleon" and "Sly." The DR+ ratings are at http://dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=3290 The first waveform is that of "Chameleon" and the 2nd is that of "Sly."

20. KeithH

Egad. That's disconcerting. I haven't listened to the remaster too loud. The SACD and Japanese 32DP CDs suit me.

21. BradOlson

If I am able to find the SACD or a 1980s CD issue or the LP at a reasonable price, I will buy that and replace the 1997 remaster. I know the SACD is rare, so I'll likely look for a quad vinyl or the 1980s CD issue.

22. BradOlson

23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

The file at the site looks like an .exe. and cannot open on a Mac. Any suggestions?

24. BradOlson

If you have a newer Mac with an Intel processor, buy yourself a copy of either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 and install it either via Boot Camp or using virtualization software such as Parallels or VirtualBox. If you end up with an XP disc with no serial number that you came across used, the best thing to do is to look for an XP computer that doesn't work and use the product key off of that computer and the product keys have to match either the Home or Professional edition.

25. BradOlson

I am sure that with Linux, the DR+ program will work on Wine so even with Mac, you can install Linux virtually and then run DR+ on Wine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.