New Lexicon Blu-ray Player just a repackaged Oppo BDP-83 - Only $3000 More

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

2. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I imagine anyone who bought the Lex $3K face plate upgrade is not going to be a happy camper.... wow.

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Lexicon did the same thing with their RT-20 universal player which was just a Marantz DV9500.

4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

wow is right!

5. mewdisk

mewdisk Member

Lexi...CON? :hide:

6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

7. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

What else could Lexicon say? I mean, there is no other way for Lexicon to spin this that doesn't make them look like total rip off artists.

Shame on Lexicon. A blunder like this could be the death knell for a high end manufacturer. Especially in this economy. I have no sympathy for them.

But massive kudos go to Audioholics for having the moxy to print their findings!

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

this makes me sick. the internet should enable consumers to put an end to this kind of deception. it's nearly criminal. i sent Harman an email asking them about this.....curious to see if they respond....

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

This is the world we live in.

Lexicon and THX should be ashamed.

10. Unbelievable. I'll never consider purchasing a Lexicon product going forward.

The best paragraph:

When we received the player the first thing we did was open it up to get a look at the inside. Imagine my surprise when I found that not only did the Lexicon share the same boards and transport as the Oppo - it was in fact AN OPPO BDP-83 PLAYER, CHASSIS AND ALL, SHOVED INSIDE AN ALUMINUM LEXICON WRAPPER. As far as we could determine, Lexicon didn't change a single thing in terms of the hardware. Heck, they didn't even lift the boards out of the chassis, opting instead to cut out the bottom of their own chassis to accommodate the venting locations, and putting a darker blue filter over the Oppo's VFD display to give it a slightly deeper hue.

Interesting read on the Lexicon and THX certification on the second page in the Audioholics article too.

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

12. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

No need now. The site owner just deleted all the posts..:shake:

13. People are reposting some good, new posts about this scam. This is not only a strike against Lexicon but now agaist Home Theater Review and their bias in deleting legitimate posts critical of one of their advertisers.

14. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

This is not the way to start out the new year. Caveat emptor. This is how the high end gets its lumps. Is it fair to asked the question: who are they buying the players from?

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I figured they had an agreement with Oppo or the firm who assembles the units for Oppo?? On the one hand, this seems to confirm that Oppo is building a good product, but on the other hand, is it really in their best interest to have their product involved in a scam?

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is a scam, pure and simple and even if I had that amount of money, I would not buy the Lexicon, I'd buy the Oppo.

17. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

"Lexicon worked with the drive makers to customize this unit to their specifications and the quality they added really shows." :D

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I take those claims with a grain of salt. I would rather believe research.

19. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

some more blu-ray clones... :D

Funai M110
    [​IMG]

Philips BDP 7200
    [​IMG]

Denon BD 1800
    [​IMG]

Onkyo BD 606
    [​IMG]

20. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

We need a "sarcasm" emoticon. :wave:

21. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I seem to recall a $6,000 Goldmund player which was more or less a re-badged $200 Pioneer DVD player. The only differences were the addition of a big toroidal transformer and a fancy cover for the transport.

Oh, and they put a Goldmund badge on the cheap plastic remote. Six grand and they couldn't rip the guts out and put it in a nice aluminum enclosure?

22. If Oppo wasn't aware, it seems to me they'd have a good basis for a copyright and patent infringement lawsuit.

23. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yep. I thought Goldmund had more class than that. :thumbsdn:

25. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I seriously doubt that Oppo is at fault here. They are a small, innovative company that would be very happy to sell their designs to another manufacturer. But they may not have realized just how lame another brand may be at customizing their product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.