New Lexicon Blu-ray Player just a repackaged Oppo BDP-83 - Only $3000 More

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Count me in for Oppo!

These companies looks like a major cheaters to me.
    How many others are there around?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

There's something to be said for buying Sony. For better or worse, Sony designs their own components.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not always. Their first Blu-ray players were built for them by Pioneer. For example, the BDP-S300 is really a BDP-94HD. Same story with Sony BDP-S1, it is identical to the Pioneer BDP-HD1.

4. LeeH

LeeH Active Member

What a load of scammers, $3000 more, that is serious

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'm just really surprised how surprised folks are at this.

6. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

This has all been very informative for me. My next blu ray WILL be a Oppo BDP-83. I bet they can't keep them in stock!

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If you really were a poet, you would have said "I'm a poet and didn't know it".

Nice try, though. :D

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

:laugh:

9. KeithH

Sarcasm.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhhh flew right over my head! :laugh:

11. KeithH

No problem. Maybe I need to work on new material. ;)

12. KeithH

O.K. I haven't followed Blu-Ray developments. With Sony, I was thinking of their audio components. I've never heard of Sony audio components being borrowed designs.

All I know about Blu-Ray is avoid Oppo. ;)

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

:)Grammatically correct, although to make it scan and to throw in some irony or aw shucks, I have also heard it as : "I'm a poet and don't know it." :winkgrin:

14. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Why avoid Oppo?

Frankly, there seems to be an undercurrent that Oppo is somehow involved in this with Lexicon. They did what any product developer that runs a good business does, sell their product at wholesale to a retailer. What's the big deal? There's a sense that they must be in cahoots with Lexicon; that's ridiculous. To them, Lexicon is just another retail customer. From the looks of it, Lexicon bought intact BD-83s, stripped off the external cosmetic fascia, and dropped the Oppo chassis into their shell.

The only folks here who are to blame for this joke is Lexicon trying to pull the wool over the eyes of high-end customers.

15. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

I totally agree with everything you said, but the manufacturer's shills, such as Home Theater Review, are also culpable in a scam such as this one.

HTR no longer has any credibility (assuming they ever had any to begin with.)

EDIT: Someone posted on AVS that they expect the HTR review of the Lexicon to quietly disappear from the site. I think this is an astute prediction and nothing more than a face-saving ploy for HTR.

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Why would anyone look poorly at Oppo over this mess. Even if they approve of another company purchasing their machine for modification and OEM rebranding and rebadging, they have no control over what that company does with their box and how much they charge for it.

Quite frankly, it reflects on how great the $500 Oppo really is! (And as on owner of 2, I can attest to the fact that it's a GREAT player. Probably the best bang-for-the-buck disc player I have ever purchased)

17. I'd also accuse Home Theater Review of trying to pull the wool over the eyes of its readers. It's too bad I didn't save the comments that the site's editor, Jerry Del Colliano, wrote; they were childish at best and completely ignored valid issues raised by his readers. Worse still was that he deleted them and then locked it so that further comments could not be left.

18. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Good by fraud scammers!

Taken from the URL= hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/:

Publisher's Note:
    Due to unprofessional and non-productive ”flames” and or personal attacks comments have been turned off for this review.

Perhaps you’d shave it. Don’t think it’s available for so long …

19. KeithH

Sarcasm. Oppo is loved here.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You know what I find simply amusing about reading this thread? I'm willing to bet that before this news broke about a $500 dollar Oppo, inside of a Lexicon $3,000 shell, that many audiophiles wouldn't have even cared that they were getting taken to the bank, but they do now, because it's been exposed?

I'm glad that I did my homework and that I bought the $500 version of the "OPPO BDP-83"! Even after having to shell out another $300 to upgrade my "83", to their new "special edition", I'm still POSITIVE, that I was nobody's fool.

Chris C

21. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

For anyone interested, here's a link to a transcript of the comments HTR deleted in their attempt to sweep the issue under the rug.

http://www.stabbingpixies.com/fr_index.cfm

Follow the link, then click on "HTR transcript"

TRUTH OUT!!!

22. everton

everton Forum Resident

What people seem to forget is that Lexicon products are sold in limited numbers, and so the $3,000 markup is required to cover their R&D and warranty services.

Do you think it's easy to create a face plate and a back panel such that all the buttons and connectors line up perfectly (especially when they are that thick)? What about the holes in the bottom plate that they have to cut? As for warranty, if anything goes wrong, I guess that Lexicon would have to take the inside unit out, convert it back to an Oppo, and then send it to Oppo to fix. These things cost money and time. So, please stop blaming them.

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

You must own stock in Harman International, the parent company of Lexicon.

24. KeithH

Without trying to defend Lexicon, allow me, for a minute, to play devil's advocate concerning the hometheaterreview.com review.

Here is what hometheaterreview.com said about the Lexicon vs. other players, including the Oppo:

Note that the sound of the Lexicon is not compared specifically to the Oppo. In reviewing SACD sound, the reviewer mentions "lesser players". One could assume that he lumped the Oppo in that group, but one cannot be certain. Sony and Denon players were also mentioned in the review.

Of course, the disparity cited in black levels is worthy of scrutiny.

The reviewer comments about differences in build quality. He says the Lexicon is heavier and has better-quality buttons. If the Lexicon has a shell around the Oppo, then the former should be heavier. Did Lexicon use different buttons? Has anyone here seen the Lexicon up close?

He also says that the Lexicon is quieter than the Oppo when loading discs and changing tracks. If the Lexicon has a shell around the Oppo, then the shell could dampen these noises (and possibly vibrations, too).

Thoughts?

25. KeithH

There are plenty of $3000 players that are not copies of $500 players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.