New Lexicon Blu-ray Player just a repackaged Oppo BDP-83 - Only $3000 More

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toka

Toka Active Member

Not to change the subject, but this practice is very, very, very common. Not sure about Heinz specifically (though probably...), but you better believe there are some products, completely identical save for the label, in different stores for wildly different prices (and for various reasons).

2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Well, what usually happens is that Heinz will vary the recipe slightly, so that they still have a unique taste and product in comparison to the one they made for the small grocer. I mean, that's what happened in this case; Lexicon did NOTHING to alter (improve) the Oppo to legitimately state that their more expensive model did indeed have sound as well as part differences. So, while Heinz or French's mustard may indeed produce a product for another label, in my experience, IT WON'T TASTE THE SAME. THAT WOULD BE FOOLISH! WHO WOULD BUY THE BRAND NAME?? That would be EMBARRASSING! And that is why Lexicon is now getting spanked in public.

3. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Not mine. I made more than $3G in the time it took me to type this post, and that's counting the money I lost using a stack of $100 bills to light my cigar while I wrote it.

4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I LOLed. :laugh:

5. 3db

3db New Member

and I bet your granny keeps the fire place burning by tossing in $20s :righton:

6. docwebb

docwebb Senior Member

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yikes. The way they quickly dismiss the Oppo/Lexicon, it looks to me like they don't plan to have Lexicon as an advertiser anytime soon.

I wonder if they reviewed the Lexicon in their Home Theater magazine prior to the expose?

8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Dunno. The reception that LG and JA gave to the JBL speakers might compensate. Same company, same PR reps.

9. I would think that Harman International is a big enough, professional enough company that they could take a few lumps without unleashing their wrath on the magazine--or withholding their advertising dollars.

Can't say the same thing about all players in the hifi industry--just look at the controversy surrounding Stereophile's recent lukewarm review of a Totem loudspeaker and Totem's subsequent pulling of all advertising from Stereophile. Does not reflect well on Totem to say the least. Professionalism is out the window.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I guess Totem doesn't think anyone should be allowed to voice an honest opinion that is opposed to theirs. :sigh:

I listened to the Totem Forest a couple of years ago and my thoughts aligned with the recent somewhat less than enthusiastic Stereophile review. I could have had them at half price (the store was closing down) but passed.

11. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I was impressed w/ Lexicon's RT-10, RT-20 disc players. Maybe their blu-ray player warrants a demo...

12. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Ummm.....

Did you read any of this thread?

Buy an Oppo BDP-83SE and save yourself a ton of cash.

13. mavnick

mavnick New Member

Lexicon

They put the "con" in Lexicon.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.