It's George who sings Do You Want To Know A Secret?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by matthew5, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

and not John?

I only recently figured this out

I guess I am not much of a Beatles fan after all

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I think it says that in the sleevenotes.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

sounds nothing like john

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Don't feel too bad, I used to think "Anna (Go To Him)" was sung by George.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Sounds more like Ringo than John, to think it is Lennon is crazy - its George through and through just listen to that heavy Scouse accent and then listen to his dialog in 'A Hard Days Night' unmistakable, he lost that thick accent over the years though!

6. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Back in the day (1964)....I thought Ringo sang Money. I know, I know, give me a break...I was only 10.

7. To be fair, I always thought Lennon sounded a little more like Harrison on this LP, which turned out to be because he was fighting a cold during the "Please Please Me" LP session.

8. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Yes, the cold made him sound more like George, and I did think for years that it was John (with a severe cold) on Do You Know A Secret.....listen to Anna, the vocals are pretty similar.

Rojo likes this.
  9. I thought it was John too. I'm not a big Beatles fan but I do like "Do You Want To Know A Secret?"

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, it's not crazy - not everyone is a super die-hard Harrifan like you are. Of all the Fabs, George and John had the most similar voices, so I can understand why someone would confuse them.

I have a friend who's 55 and has been a Beatles fan since she 1964 but she can't tell the different between John and Paul - not THAT'S :crazy:!

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

It's not secret that George sang it
    ...when I heard "Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite" for the first time I thought it was George singing:hide:

12. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

46 years late, and imagine what people will be saying when they buy the video game? "George sang THIS? The walrus... was PAUL?"

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

:agree:

I originally mistook the vocal as John's too, but later realized it was George.

14. FAC 287

FAC 287 Forum Resident

I've always liked George's vocal on this, and love the song. Naturally Ian MacDonald thinks the opposite. :shh:

15. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

yes, is George!
    when i heard first time in radio i knew that was not John or Paul but i was young and don't had the album.

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

ANNA, ASK ME WHY and TWIST AND SHOUT also feature stand-out solo performances from John, whilst DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET hands the studio spotlight to George.

Tony Barrow's sleevenotes from the PLEASE PLEASE ME album 1963.

17. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

I've always known it was George, but not because I recognized the voice. It was on the liner notes for "Twist and Shout", the first Beatles album in Canada. So it was more like I learned to recognize George's voice from the song than the other way around.

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not a bit like Cagney

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I knew it was George back in 1964. We used to watch TV with the big kids after school. There was a guy on TV (Lloyd Thaxton) who did a "stereo" broadcast of DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET using KFWB as the right channel. So the music track came out of the TV speaker and the vocal came out of my clock radio. It sounded like crap but everyone watched it because us kids loved anything Beatles oriented. KFWB's (oops, I mean "KFWBeatles!") Gene Weed announced "Here is George Harrison singing DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET in stereo!"

So that's how we knew back in March of 1964 who was singing the song. That was the first song that any of us ever heard George's singing voice. It was a big hit here on 45...

They must have had a copy of the STEREO Vee Jay LP and fed one channel via phone line to KFWB. Geez, complicated back then...Just the idea of having a stereo turntable setup at KCOP-TV blows the mind.. We kids didn't understand how it worked and just thought it was magic or something.

20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Rather shockingly, Do You Want To Know A Secret peaked at #2 on the Billboard Charts :righton: Same ranking as Twist & Shout and higher than And I Love Her, If I Fell, PS I Love You, All My Loving and a host of Capitol 45's in 1964. Steve, surely you heard George singing Don't Bother Me a few months earlier on the Meet The Beatles album?? Ron

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nope, didn't have the album. What do you think I was, a teenage girl or something? :)

22. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I thought back then, that it was John, on "Let It Be."

23. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

It was actually John, standing on his head singing through a Leslie speaker with a heavy cold.

24. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

For years I thought it was Lennon on "Do You Want To Know a Secret." Just recently a bunch of beatles fans were heavily debating whether it's John or Paul singing the "aaaahhss" in the bridge of A Day in the Life. I still think it's John, others are completely convinced it's Paul.

25. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Don't feel bad, I've always thought John and George sounded similar on the first album. As mentioned upthread, John had a cold during the sessions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.