It's George who sings Do You Want To Know A Secret?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by matthew5, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

It always sounded like John to me but the recent unofficial individual tracks that have have surfaced reveal it to be Paul.

When I first started listening to The Beatles I couldn't tell for sure who was singing "Baby, It's You" though I knew it was either John or George.

2. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

I've always thought it was secretly John screaming "Long Hair!" during the outro of "Venus and Mars/Rock Show". Sounds just like him!

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I thought Paul sounded like George on the first section of Band on the Run, but perhaps my vinyl was spinning a bit faster than 33 1/3.

4. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I've heard those tracks and it still sounds like John to me. I find it odd that Paul isn't singing the aaahhs in the live version of A Day in the Life he's been doing.

5. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Adjacent to this, the end of She Said She Said features John and George trading vocals. They sound identical!

6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

He did at Fenway Park, night two. Ron

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's John, without a doubt.

I think John is the only singer on "She Said She Said".

Evan

8. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I thought back then, that it was John, on "Let It Be."

9. brainwashed

You mean John on the A Day In The Life "ahhs"? Sorry, it's Paul. It's clear as day on the the Sgt. Pepper isolated tracks that "showed up" last year :righton: George definitely sings on She Said She Said. It was the last song recorded for Revolver... in a rush, one reason Paul isn't on bass or on backing vocals (after leaving the studio in a huff). Ron

PS George himself said he played bass (Musician and either Mix or Creem) on She Said She Said. Paul mentions in Many Years From Now that he stormed out on the session after an argument and is one of a few Beatles tracks he does not perform on.

10. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't decide if it is Paul or John... strange because their voices are so distinct... then again I also am confused by the She Loves You at the end of All You Need is Love

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

12. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

At the time for me it always sounded just like George's speaking voice in A Hard Days Night.

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

In the US, in 1964, we didn't have PPM, we just had it on Introducing The Beatles (which had no liner notes), or on 45. However, it was a #1 hit on NY radio & quite a big deal was made of the fact that George sung it, so we all knew it here.

14. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

"Devil in her heart" -- George singing lead?

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup!

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

True, but I would have thought most people would have read the sleevenotes between 1987 and now. ;)

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm with with both you guys on this one. It definitely sounds like Paul to me.

P.S. The "extra" weird harmonies going on BEHIND Paul's "ahhh" vocal were a revelation to me when I heard the multitracks. They were hidden (to my ears anyway) on all the various album,
    CD,45's, cassette versions, etc., etc., of Sgt Pepper.

18. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

I still say it's John too!

19. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I always thought it was John for 3 reasons-

-It was a natural "response" vocal from John to Pauls vocal which this song seems to employ.

-The echo sound on the vocals are more attributed to John's "signature" sound. Just like on the beginning verses.

-It sounds like John. :) Specifically at the very first announciated part of the "Ahhh....."

20. Dr.O'Boogie

It is John, anyone can hear that!

21. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

This is what the last debate turned to -- everyone sure it was Paul, except for everyone who was sure it was John.

22. Dr.O'Boogie

All you need is ears lol!

23. brainwashed

...or the multi-track tape which clearly shows that it's Paul :righton: Ron

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well , the best thing at this point is to enjoy WHOEVER is singing the part.
    If you want to believe it's John, enjoy the mental imagery of that, or if I think it's Paul,( it is :laugh:), i'm going to picture that,.

FWIW, I don't think that those notes are within John's vocal range.
    I know that the Fabs were into tape speed manipulation by this point , but I don't hear that being done on this vocal part. Either way, i'll still sleep well tonight.:laugh:

Plus, this has nothing to do with George singing Do You Want To Know a Secret !

25. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

Well, John wrote it for George. I remember reading that in an interview (Hit Parader?) when I was a kid. I always thought he meant he wanted to tell George a secret i.e John is singing to George. Eventually I figured out it's George singing a song written by John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.