Internet Radio Shows by Forum Members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillWX

BillWX Forum Resident Thread Starter

Greetings,
    There's been threads in the past about forum members making appearances on radio that are streamed. Or stations they heard on the 'net that others might enjoy.
    But I thought 'why not a thread about 'net radio shows that people on here do?'
    So here it is!
    There are so many people on here, some, possibly many do internet shows either regularly or once-in-a-while. So here's a thread to mention those shows so we can all possibly listen in and expand our musical horizons. :D
    Personally, I run "Lost Planet Radio" from here in NJ which is streamed on Live365. Usually it's a recorded stream, but I do live programs from time to time. The music is usually classic rock, alternative, remixes and some pop with some fun talk. But I play some newer stuff. All media formats - vinyl, CD, tape, digital, etc... I was a technical director and DJ back in college and always gave the old Harris board a good workout for a couple of hours.
    I'll be doing a live program from 6-8 tonight (3/16/09). The link to the station page is Lost Planet Radio or www.live365.com/stations/billwx
    Feel free to listen in and drop an email during the show. :)
    It's live and no format or plans are made. I just play music and have fun.
    -Bill

Darren Richardson likes this.
  2. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I host a podcast called Book's Music, a mixture of a wide range of music from a wide range of formats.

The latest edition can be heard on my website, or you can listen to podcasts from the last two months by clicking here.

There's rock, hard rock, jazz, funk, soul, hip-hop, obscure weird stuff, mash-ups, custom remixes and from time to time my own songs, I've done a podcast featuring nothing but comedy albums. Sometimes there may be a few profanities in the music, as it is uncensored, so be forewarned.

3. I've hosted a weekly pop show for the last 17 years.

It's basically a graduate-level course in pop, once you've mastered your Good Times and your Great Oldies.

It's called, appropriately enough, "Crap From The Past". Collection of all old playlists and archive of online shows are at http://www.crapfromthepast.com/

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Good job, Bill. I caught the last 10 minutes of the show.

5. BillWX

The inspiration bug has bitten me after some emails with an old friend from college days. Without mentioning specifics, anyone in the New York City area can hear an unformatted radio show on Sunday nights 9-11 on 101.9. The guy who does the show is an old college friend. While we were different college majors, we both were on 2 college stations (transfer students) and both of us did "weird" programs. (No format, anything could happen.) He used a "stage name" (a funny one) and I didn't. Anyway, to wrap up this little story - he brought it up last week on his show - and played an ELO tune. (I was known for playing ELO on my show.)
    So now I'm inspired to do a regular radio show again because it was just fun. Neither of us did shows because we "had" to - as communication or broadcast majors. I was in science, he was in business - so radio was just fun. No format, no plans, no playlist.
    Tonight (April 5) from 6-8pm EDT (22:00-0:00T) will be the return of my live program. I'll play all formats (vinyl, tape, CD, digital) and independent artists are welcome to send along their material.
    Everyone is welcome to listen in, make suggestions, etc...
    As I posted in the first post in this thread, the station is Lost Planet Radio (live from Cranford, NJ!) and the direct links are:
    Lost Planet Radio (station site)
    Lost Planet Radio on Live365 (station site on Live365)

Happy listening!

-Bill

6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

:righton:

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Phase One Radio

He's away for a few weeks and out of contact, so I'll promote his show for him:

A Forum Member (and incredibly knowledgeable music guy) does Phase One Radio in Germany weekly. It's a two hour show where he plays incredibly rare (and truly great well-chosen) folk, folk-rock and psychedelic music. For anyone who has an interest in these genre's, I can almost guarantee listening to this show will expose you to stuff you have never heard (some you have never heard of!) that you will enjoy. He's a long-time friend but I still learn lots and enjoy lots every time I listen.

links to show:

show : Phase 1 Sunday evening 8-10pm

http://radio.kanal-ratte.de:8000/rkr.ogg high quality stereo

OR

http://radio.kanal-ratte.de:8000/rkr-hi.m3u lesser quality mono (use if other one isn't working on a particular day you try to stream)

Showtimes:
    sunday 8pm
    repeats:
    thursday midnight
    saturday 4pm

I think over the next few weeks it's pre-recorded shows, and the repeats might be weird because he is traveling. He told me that the pre-recorded shows are mostly really rare non-lp singles and EP's of 60's and early 70's British folk-rock and British blues over the next couple of weeks.

8. mfp

mfp Senior Member

9. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

"Crap From The Past" in a wonderful show! It's a very entertaining and well produced program.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Is there a real business model for you folks, or are you all underwritten by local public broadcasting entities? Obviously these are "labor of love" projects; is there a necessity of profit to keep these going, or are we, shall I say, covering these expenses out of pocket?

12. Purely a labor of love for me - it's been 17+ years of CFTP and I haven't made a single dime from it. Nor have I gotten any free promotional loot or CDs from any record companies in the 17 years of CFTP. I've bought all the music I play, so my expenses are truly out-of-pocket.

In this environment, I highly doubt that there are any profitable music-intensive radio shows left where the focus is on the music. And if there are, I doubt even more that they would be of interest to the members of this forum!

The left end of the dial is perfect for the music nuts. Let the commercial radio world implode with its tight playlists, its consultants, its frequent ads, and its quest for ratings - as long as listener-supported radio lives on, I'll be there to support it.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  13. TheLoneliestMonk

TheLoneliestMonk Forum Resident

I have an internet radio show I do every Thursday night at 10pm eastern/8pm pacific time at www.emancipationradio.com called Monkey Mind Radio. Every week I have a specific theme which all of the songs are centered around. Although occasionally I feature a specific artist, or just play a set of songs with no specific theme. Generally the sets are comprised of obscure, eclectic and distinctive artists who you don't necessarily have the opportunity to hear listening to mainstream radio. As long as I can remember I have had a passion for turning people on to great music and for putting together compilations so this is right up my alley!

Emancipation Radio is also completely non-profit and a labor of love as well.

14. sotet

sotet New Member

I love CFTP, thanks, Ron, for doing such a show for a long time, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope to check out some of the other shows mentioned here as time permits. :)

15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the link. I'm enjoying the March 27 show a lot!

16. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Fun. :)

17. albumlinernotes

albumlinernotes New Member

I've really enjoyed Crap From The Past, which I've just discovered in this thread. Really cool listening as we work on the site!

18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I've been a fan of CRap From The Past for almost three years. I'm currently designing a website for a friend of mine and I've been listening to the early epsidodes while working.

19. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

I'm on Emancipation Radio too! Friday nights, 10pm eastern. Heavy emphasis on classic 12 inch singles and live tracks, but no real format or playlist. Monk, has Star told you about our new Request Voicemail Box?

20. TheLoneliestMonk

TheLoneliestMonk Forum Resident

Right on! A fellow Emancipation Radio participant. I didn't know any one else from there frequented this forum as well.

No I wasn't aware of a Request Voicemail Box...clever idea!

21. BillWX

22. BillWX

Greetings,
    Been really busy lately, but later today (7/11/09) will be another live show!
    It'll be a variety show - old stuff, new stuff, fun stuff, vinyl, tape, CD, digital, bla bla bla.
    Live program from 5-7 pm EDT (21-23:00 UT) on Lost Planet Radio.
    Listen live on Live365 by clicking here!
    The station website is here (with any changes in shcedule).

Happy listening!
    -Bill

23. MattTheCat

MattTheCat Prowling At 78 RPMs

I host a weekly podcast called "The Friday Night Cat Fight" www.fridaynightcatfight.com, which was a popular feature on my old XM Satellite Radio show, "The Night Prowl With Matt The Cat", which was heard weeknights on the 50s on 5 channel. They let me go back in October, but I kept this segment alive on the web and have expanded it into themed shows.

I've done shows on Baseball related music, Train Songs, Summer songs, Surf Music, etc. This week's show is an R&B Profile of Marvin Phillips of Marvin & Johnny and Jesse & Marvin fame.

DIG IT!

Soulfully,
    Matt The Cat

24. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

I host a weekly show called "Bubbling Over", which airs live Tuesday afternoons, 4-6 PM PST @ www.luxuriamusic.com (home of such great shows as Andrew Sandoval's "Come To The Sunshine", Steve Stanley's "Now Sounds", Howie Pyro's "Intoxica", Kristian Hoffman's "Pepperland Spicerack" and many others. Ian Whitcomb and Wendy & Lisa even host their own shows on Luxuria!

I play things like Merseybeat, inept soundalike cover versions, surf/hot rod, caucasoid vocal group disasters, flower power/hippie exploitation, bubblegum, vintage radio spots, uncategorizable thrift store acquisitions, Los Angeles-area musicians/songwriters I admire, freakbeat/psych pop, all things Brian Wilson/Beach Boys related, instro/instrumentals, girl group, open-ended interview record snippets, 60s/70s soft pop and more.

Free Podcasts of Lux shows usually hit the Lux site one day after the show airs. Join me in the chat room some Tuesday afternoon!

One Louder likes this.
  25. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.