Radiohead vinyl versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just realized there are at least two distinct versions of Radiohead albums on vinyl. At least for some of them...

One first version made by EMI/Parlophone. And a second version made by Capitol, the recent 2008 "180gr - From The Capitol Vaults" series. I believe the first series is made in Europe, and the second made in the USA (maybe I'm mistaken about this).

I'm trying to get the best sounding Radiohead vinyl.

OK COMPUTER
    I've read on other threads there are some people complaining about the mastering being different (and worse) on the latest reissue, compared to the original Vinyl release. Is there any truth to this? Are they actually different?

KID A
    Are there two versions of this 10" 45rpm double set? Are they different regarding the mastering/sound? Which one is the best sounding version?

AMNESIAC
    Are there two versions of this 10" 45rpm double set? Are they different regarding the mastering/sound? Which one is the best sounding version?

HAIL TO THE THIEF
    Are there two versions of this album? Are they different regarding the mastering/sound? Which one is the best sounding version?

Thank you so much for your help! :righton:

2. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I'll bump this, because I swear I've read that the new pressings were made from the original stampers and the CD masters (yes, I know - contradictory)... so I'm curious as well.

3. SergioRZ

Regarding Hail To The Thief, I've seen references to a 45rpm version... but the latest reissue is a 33rpm version, isn't it? Or are they all 45rpm? :confused:

4. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

This has been discussed many times...

5. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

The Capitol Vaults reissue is also 45 rpm on 2 LP's.

6. SergioRZ

Thanks for the information :righton:

Still, It seems like there is no definitive answer to some of these questions... some people claim that the original UK press OK Computer is very different from the new Capitol USA press...

It does seem like most people think they all sound about the same.

So... if you could buy any of them new and cheap, which ones would you buy? The new Capitol vinyl, or the old Parlophone vinyl? :confused:

7. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

It has, with differing conclusions about which masters were used.

8. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

From my experience, Radiohead + Parlophone vinyl = bliss. You can't go wrong here. Whether the Capitol USA competes is one point, but does it surpass? I would have serious doubts, particularly since they were rushing this release and without the love and affection from the boys of the group.

Adamski777, bru87tr and Preston like this.
  9. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I have listened back and forth with OK Computer and couldn't find much of a difference and certainly not a preference. There is a big cost difference, so get the Capitol versions and you will be fine.

Rolltide likes this.
  10. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Capitols, but I've been seriously thinking about getting them. I fail to see how they were "rushing" this release - if they were rushed, I doubt the packaging (according to reports) would be so superior to the Parlophones. They woulda just slapped 'em in thin cardboard sleeves (like the Parlophones) and leave it at that. Capitol clearly put a LOT of effort into the "From The Vaults" LPs, particularly in the presentation department.

Anyway, I'm not sure where the debate comes in. Most people with the Capitol discs say they sound great and are easily on par with the Parlophones. If they sound great, does it actually MATTER if the master is new or even digital?

11. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

I was so pleased with the Amnesiac Capitol, that I went ahead and picked up the Kid A. I kinda wish I hadn't shelled out so much for the original Parlophone Bends and Ok Computers now.

You will be very happy with the Capitol Amnesiac, though. I haven't head a chance to hear the Kid A yet.

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I can recommend the Capitol KID A. Quiet vinyl, good sound, that's it in a nutshell. :righton:

Dan

13. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I have the Capitol's and, so far, I've listened to The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac. I think they sound fantastic and are priced right.

14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Some links to the other threads would be H-E-L-P-F-U-L...

15. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

16. SergioRZ

Still very unclear information :( :(

Do the old and new releases share the same "digital" mastering technique? Or did they use a different method to create the masters for the original Parlophone releases?

:confused:

racer59 likes this.
  17. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

If they sound the same, then they are using the same masters.

18. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

I believe that all Radiohead records since the bends have been recorded digitally. Therefore, the benefits from an analog mastering (or rather, detriments to digital) are not a huge deal.

The info is unclear as no one knows for sure what's happened with the original Parlophones. The thing to take away from all of this is that there doesn't appear to be a huge shortfall to picking up the US Capitol reissues.

However, if you're going to stay up at night wondering if perhaps there's a slightly better pressing out there, it's probably worth it to lay out the extra cash for a Parlophone pressing.

19. SergioRZ

Thanks to all of you for the valuable help :righton:

20. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

OK Computer was recorded on an Otari MTR-90II two-inch:

http://www.nigelgodrich.com/press3.htm

dayday and 2xUeL like this.
  21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Any follow up to this?
    I too am missing the later LP's...those EP's are fantastic....did Ron McMaster master the LP's?

22. Kirkenheimer

Kirkenheimer New Member

The parlophone pressings are the way to go. From what I understand, the capitol pressings are nothing but the cd mixes thrown on a slab of vinyl. Im sure it will sound good, but like a cd non the less. The true radiohead vinyl experience is on the parlophone records. Start with hail to the theif, you have never truely heard that record until you have heard it on vinyl...

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  23. SergioRZ

Have you tested or compared the different versions?

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I understand...I have Parlophones for The Bends and OK Computer...
    I just have been totally knocked out by the EP's...they are truly wonderful that I was wondering if Ron McMaster did the LP's...
    Actually I have sent an email to the mastering staff at Capitol...hoping for a response!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.