Radiohead vinyl versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Let us know when you compare the Capitol and Parlophone versions of Amnesiac. :righton:

Did you get the EU or the UK Parlophone version (according to Discogs)?

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

has anyone ordered the "Feeling Pulled Apart..." 12" from w.a.s.t.e. yet? apparently it's a limited run, but I've heard that before.

3. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I got the uk version.....not sure what the eu version is? I like the sound of parlophone recordings generally so am going with that

4. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I acquires the original Bends and ok computer parlophone vinyl. The bends sounds slightly warmer but pretty close.

Ok computer sounds Identical upon first listening. Maybe there are differences but if so it's darn subtle

5. spicyclubsauce

spicyclubsauce Forum Resident

How do needledrops compare to the released CD's?

6. RonMiller1

RonMiller1 Member

I find both Kid A and OK Computer to sound great on Capital. I really want a copy of the In Rainbow 45, but no luck finding it so far.

7. woody

woody Forum Resident

Very good. and btw, my Parlophone Ok Computer is quiet , also. It's probably a later pressing as it was bought 3 years ago.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I got my Capitol OK Computer in yesterday (the only reissue I have). I was hard pressed to find any differences between it and my UK Parlophone. The Parlophone was noisier though, the Capitol plays silent.

9. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

a lot better :agree:

Pablo Honey is the only album/cd that doesn't suffer from compression/limiting.

not allowed to upload needledrops here, but if you venture to Radioheads biggest fansite; www.ateaseweb.com/mb you might find a certain person has uploaded lossless needledrops of every release. and the band are actually fine with it too :rolleyes:

Dino likes this.
  10. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

As far as I know, the Parlophones have never been out of print. You may have a later stamper, but I don't think they've ever been "reissued".

All of my Parlophones are center cut with no imperfections and are dead silent. However, I clean all my new vinyl before play.

11. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

Just got done listening to the Vault 'Hail to the Thief'. I had to use a steak knife to clean out some debris in the spindle hole on the second disc that was so bad I couldnt even get it to seat. Then I put it on and it started skipping (probably didnt help that its a 45). Warped. So I walked back across the street to the record store to exchange it. They had me open the 2nd copy in the store just to make sure it was alright. There again was debris in the hole that had to be scraped out, but at least this time the 2nd disc wasnt warped, the first one, however, was. So we did a bit of mixing and matching.
    Anyhow, once I was able to play these I was very happy with them. Ive listened to the album a couple times now and I highly doubt these are derived from the CD master. More likely theyre sourced from hi-rez digital files. I'm looking forward to checking out Kid A next. Hopefully I wont have any physical problems with that set.

12. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Hail To The Thief is one of the best cases of the vinyl trumping the CD in every possible way.

13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Agree 100%. Just to remind folks, this is (another) COMPLETELY DIGITAL recording and it sounds WAY better on LP then CD. Back to regular programming...

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Did anybody ever compare matrix codes between the Capitol and Parlophone pressings? That would certainly help us narrow this down. I'm interested in picking up Kid A and Amnesiac.

Reading through this thread (and the Capitol Vaults thread) and I'm seeing a LOT of assumptions and undocumented facts. If we're ever going to get anywhere with this, we should start with the matrix codes.

15. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

yeah the cd always sounded 'wrong', the vinyl sounds great.

i've compared capitol to parlophone for the bends/ok computer/kid a on my system. the capitol versions were all a bit brighter/sharper sounding, while parlophone had more low mids, warmth, depth, and general cohesiveness between instruments overall. I preferred the parlophone but my system is a bit on the clinical side overall, so if i had a warmer system I might prefer the snap of the capitol versions. both versions sound great though imo.

would love to get in rainbows on the double 45, anyone heard if it's much better than the regular single vinyl?

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

17. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

thanks, i tried going through them before, couldn't really find any detailed comparison of the double disc to the single, or even the US version to the UK..seems like everyone says their version sounds good, but i'll always wonder if the double is worth the $100 splash cos otherwise the boxset doesn't seem anything special

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The Capital Vaults versions are completely new cuts and have different matrix codes than the Parlophones.

19. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks! I couldn't find that in any of my research this morning... most people who stated something like that didn't cite a source. Was this discussed somewhere on this forum?

20. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I have a question about the new Radiohead album (King of Limbs).

I recently bought a copy that was damaged (chipped) when I took it out of the shrink. The store offered me a refund but no exchange as they said the album was already deleted.

My copy is 180 grams and made in the EU. I've check the catalouge and barcode with other copies on sale and they seem to match up. However they are also cheaper so I don't want to end up with a 120g copy.

Are all copies of King of Limbs 180g vinyl?

21. SergioRZ

I also don't remember any reliable sources for this information being mentioned here in SHF. Also, it should be taken into consideration, there seem to exist different generations of Parlophone versions out there...

If my memory is correct, nobody actually knows where the Parlophones were cut, by who and what sources where used. Or was this information ever revealed?

22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Here's my Parlophone matrix info for the first three records:

Pablo Honey
    PCS 7360 A-1-1-2 "COME TO FLORIDA" D
    PCS 7360 B-02-01-2 D

The Bends
    PCS 7372 A-01-01-2 SHE'S OUT WITH HER ANSWERPHONE D
    PCS 7372 B-01-01-2 (NICE DREAM) D

OK Computer
    NODATA 0X2A-1-1- I LIKE YOU, YOU ARE A WONDERFUL PERSON D VINYL BLAIR
    NODATA 0X2B-1-1- I'M FULL OF ENTHUSIASM I'M GOING PLACES D
    NODATA 0X2C-1-1- I'LL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU D
    NODATA 02 D-1-1- I'M AN IMPORTANT PERSON, WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME HOME WITH ME? D

23. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

The US issue feels like 180g

24. SergioRZ

Ok, decided to buy a Parlophone "OK Computer" to compare with my Capitol/Vaults version.

Will report when I'm done :righton:

25. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I just got the new Capital pressing of OK Computer. I know this is a really stupid question, but is there anything on the label that indicates the side? All 4 labels look exactly the same to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.