Radiohead vinyl versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

All of them are now out of print.

2. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

Hah, so I guess "Limited Edition from the Vault" meant limited 5 years huh. :D

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Same here. No where do the Parlophones claim sourced from master tapes or even analog tapes.

4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I still had a few more to get :(

Same with Coldplay, the Verve, and some other ones. Too bad.

5. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Radiohead W.A.S.T.E. site seems to have HTTT for £18 for vinyl but not sure which pressing.

6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

These are some of the most popular selling vinyl records out there. I can't imagine why they would stop...

7. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

I believe that the Capitol reissues are sourced from 16/44 digital, and I think it likely the sources are the same as the CDs.

baroquehoedown33 likes this.
  8. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

I e-mailed them quite some time ago inquiring as to which version they have but they never got back to me. I would assume it's the original 2003 Parlophone issue. Maybe I'll just go buy one and find out!
    But doesn't Radiohead record everything to analog tape? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. At minimum I thought that, then I thought I read somewhere the LPs were all analog. Hmm. I saw a video a few years ago of cuts from "In Rainbows" (mostly snippets and outtakes) all put together on to one tape as a sort of "blooper" reel.

9. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Quick update: I just received an email that says Capitol are in fact repressing the Radiohead albums. No date offered though.

Just a summary of questions unanswered in this thread:
    • Original Parlophone. Are they analog or digital?
    • Current issue Parlophone. Besides being 180g, are they otherwise identical to the original Parlophone issues (sound)?
    • Capitol reissues. Analog or digital?
    • Capitol reissues. Same as Parlophone?
    Any solid information out there would be appreciated.

Manelus likes this.
  10. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I just received a Parlophone copy of OK Computer from Amazon UK and it is quiet and sounds fantastic.

11. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the original UK pressing of Hail to the Thief made me go from hating this album to thinking it actually wasn't all THAT bad. It just sounds that good!

12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Don't you hate it when a thread goes over five pages and the details you really want are never answered....I have always been pretty disappointed their music didn't sound better...this is one of my biggest grips with RadioHead...excellent music...terrible sound. I have OK Computer on the original issue vinyl and it's hit and miss...some songs sound great, others sound awful...the Bends sounds horrible from beginning to end...almost unplayable but I grin and bear it cause I like the music.

13. BodaciousPie

BodaciousPie New Member

Is there any indication that the Parlophone versions are "in print"? I tried to buy a Parlophone pressing of Kid A on Amazon.co.uk (it even said "Original 2000 issue"), and I was sent the Capital version.

I also just purchased HTTT on Discogs, supposedly the 2003 Parlophone pressing. But I'm pretty underwhelmed by the sound (lots of background noise) and now I'm questioning whether it's the 2009 Parlophone reissue.. but do we know it even exists? Discogs lists it, but there is hardly any info on it and has never been bought / sold. The only other place on the internet I've seen it mentioned is here.

Do we know how heavy the 2003 version was? Discogs doesn't list anything, but the 2009 version is listed as 180g. Mine is 180, and I've seen the 2003 listed as 180 elsewhere, but is that enough to differentiate (if in fact there is a 2009 reissue)? Confused yet? I am.

14. dogpile

The 2003 EU release is 180g and sounds excellent! Pretty simple, just check the matrices. The 2003 EU release should be this...

• Matrix / Runout (Side A): 5845431 1A1 (machine stamped) ADAM le chien (hand etched)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B): 5845431 1B1 (machine stamped)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side C): 5845431 1C1 (machine stamped)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side D): 5845431 1D1 (machine stamped) le loup (hand etched)

hvbias likes this.
  15. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

since OK Computer they have recorded everything to tape; The Bends & Pablo are digital recordings.

16. BodaciousPie

BodaciousPie New Member

Do you know anything about more recent Parlophone pressings? I had someone on another forum claim they're still being produced, and that quality control has taken a nosedive, but I don't see an indication anywhere else that they're still being made. And if they are, how to identify them.

17. dogpile

I thought Capital Records has exclusive rights to Radiohead catalogue for Pablo Honey through to HTTT.

I've never heard or seen any recent Parlohone reissues so can't comment.

18. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Alright, here's an update on what I've found.

This is in the Amazon UK description of the HTTT vinyl: "RADIOHEAD Hail To The Thief (2008 US-manufactured UK issue limited edition 14-track 2-LP set pressed on Audiophile Quality 180gram Vinyl and issued as part of the From The Capitol Vaults series"

Judging by that, every Radiohead Parlophone vinyl since 2008 is just the Capitol Vaults edition masked in UK packaging and labels.

Here's the problem. It's near impossible to identify an original pressing without looking at the record itself.

From what I gathered:

Original pressings:
    Made/purchased before 2008
    Parlophone label only
    Not 180 gram
    For The Bends - No "£" sign in label
    Presumably analog (for the early albums at least)

2008 represses:
    Obviously made/purchased after 2008
    Any Capitol pressing is automatically from 2008
    180 gram
    All digital

The only thing that doesn't add up is the matrix numbers. I compared my Parlophone 180g copy of OK Computer to my Capitol one, and they have completely different matrices. Ugh, I wish they would address when and where the records came from.

19. BodaciousPie

BodaciousPie New Member

Amnesiac - can I ask how you figured all that out? Just curious.

So if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that a HTTT pressing after 2008 will have all the Parlophone markings (including on the center label, and sleeve barcode), but are actually Capitol represses? My copy is definitely 180g, but it says Parlophone everywhere, "Printed in EU" on the barcode, and has the "£" on the labels. By what you're saying, it's likely a Capitol UK re-issue?

I see Radiohead still sells HTTT on their website. I'm wondering which version it is.

20. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I think that all you can assume from this is that Amazon is out to lunch. It seems unlikely that Parlophone labels are being put on Capital vinyl in the UK/Europe, when the matrices are different, as you've indicated.

One thing I can tell you is that I have what I think is an original Parolophone "The Bends" and it is THIN. Nowhere near 180g. This is not the case for my Parlophone OK computer though.

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The information for The Bends is incorrect, I have a UK promo copy and a UK copy I bought new around 2001, here are the differences:

UK Promotional copy:
    Inner sleeve doesn't have "0%" graphic and has a crescent shaped cut out on color side.
    Labels have Parolphone £ sign
    Record label profile is completely flat
    Matrix stamp ends with A-01-01-1 & B-01-01-1

UK copy from around 2001:
    Inner sleeve has "0%" graphic and has U shaped cut out on non color side.
    Labels don't have Parlophone £ sign
    Record label profile has soft ridge
    Matrix stamp ends with A-01-01-2 & B-01-01-2

22. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

The description of that makes it sound like it is the Capitol version under Parlophone, but as the poster below says, that's unlikely. So we're back to square one I guess.

OK, thanks. I wish we could find the source used for every repress but Parlophone has been quiet on the matter.

Thanks for the info. I assume those aren't 180g?

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

No, without a scale handy I'd estimate around 120-130g.

Amnesiac likes this.
  24. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my copy is like the 2001 version described and it is not 180g.

25. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I'll check out my copies of the first 3 radiohead albums and post the details. All three were purchased 97/98.

candyflip69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.