NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff Thread Starter

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:wave: Thanks Craig.

It's an honor to kick off the second part of the ongoing Nat Cole celebration with an announcement that the 1950 - 1954 sessionographies are now available online. :) The info is courtesy of our own Jordan Taylor. In addition I should like to extend another round of thanks to Ben, Clark and all the Nat enthusiasts here who have been so encouraging to me, as well as to Steve for this place where we've found one another and all the gorts and donors who help make it possible.

It's available at my Nat Cole Website.

For those not so familiar with documentation of Nat's recordings, this fills the most significant gap in readily available information; the session info for periods before 1950 and after 1954 were included in the purchase of various CD releases.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, your website is really looking great, what a weath and source of information.

thanks for all your time invested!

also, love your latest avatar....

Ben, let me know if you want me to take over the postings of the rest of the discs going forward. I can sort that out and i'll do it nice and slow.

I'm just lost on how we want to do it now and what to start with, but I know to take it slow....or work with anyone in here to help them sort if out if its been figured out already who will carry the torch going forward....i'm here to steer or help to see this part two to its completion with the last recordings....

4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Love the information and comments you have provided. Your organization and outline are easy to follow and use.

I am pleased as punch to see the sessionography and discography for 1950-1954 on your great website.

Fans of Nat King Cole are so lucky to have this! :thumbsup:

5. apileocole

Thanks all for the kind compliments (do take a bow, Jordan :D ).

Now back when - ...when Nat, as in of the King Cole Trio (aka KC3) was up and coming, already a sensation for years in some circles if not quite a household name in the mainstream popular realm - the KC3 was often finding jobs backing or co-featuring with various other singers. Some singers they worked with were notable while some others, especially in the early years, were quite obscure and utterly unknown today. This might seem odd considering that the KC3 was headed by what would become known as one of the finest popular vocalists ever, but the KC3 tended to be oriented to a hip novelty angle at the time and Nat wasn't being presented as a star popular singer as he would be years later. It seems these jobs were usually for "radio transcription" (sessions pre-recorded exclusively for radio).

Unusually enough for that time era, the KC3 bridged the racial gap, working with both white and black singers (as they would later tour with Stan Kenton and feature on the same bills etc). But as you might guess, actual credits on labels were often "creative." With (white) Anita Boyer, the foursome became Anita Boyer and Her Tomboyers. It doesn't seem to have been any secret however and one can find the surviving recordings today issued under Nat's name.

One of the better results of the KC3 in combination with another singer on record are their sessions from May 1944 with a young lady named Ida James. The petite Ida had a voice that ranged from soothing to piping and a phrasing manner that could segue from languid to cute; somehow it works fairly well. They recorded a few lovely soft ballads and a few uptempo novelties, both to good effect. Ida didn't make it very big and all but dissappeared after a couple of years.

Well then folks: it seems they were also filmed! For "soundies" (sort of early "video jukeboxes") which were cheap, often staged awkwardly, poor to bad quality and not always preserved at all. Yet at least two songs - both uptempo novelties they also recorded for transcriptions - appear to have survived. And they're on YouTube! The prints are incomplete and damaged, and the garbled sound doesn't serve Ida's voice well at all. But it's a surprise they were made and we're probably very fortunate to see these at all.

Ida James with the Nat King Cole Trio (at YouTube)

- Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?
    - Who's Been Eating My Porridge?

On Porridge: The line that is lost due to the damaged film is "All I want her to do is leave my man alone - he's mine." "Ration points" refer to the war time system of rationing food (this was doubtless at or near the same time as their transcription session of May 13 1944).

Enjoy this rare film of Ida James with the Nat King Cole Trio!

6. dale 88

Song Of Delilah -- 1950

A song from a movie, Samson and Delilah, 1949, with music written by Victor Young and nominated for Best Score...

I found a modern Capitol reissue from 1992, now out-of-print, called Nat King Cole At The Movies, compiled by Will Friedwald (but don’t get your hopes up) and remastered by Bob Norberg.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Track listing
    1. St. Louis Blues - (from "St. Louis Blues")
    2. Song Of Delilah - (from "Samson And Delilah")
    3. My Flaming Heart - (from "Small Town Girl")
    4. Small Towns Are Smile Towns - (from "Small Town Girl")
    5. Blue Gardenia - (from "Blue Gardenia")
    6. Hajji Baba - (from "The Adventures Of Hajji Baba")
    7. I'd Rather Have The Blues (Blues From Kiss Me Deadly)
    8. Never Let Me Go - (from "The Scarlet Hour")
    9. Autumn Leaves - (French version, from "Autumn Leaves")
    10. I Was A Little Too Lonely And You Were A Little Too Late - (from "Istanbul")
    11. When I Fall In Love - (from "One Minute To Zero")
    12. Tangerine - (from "The Fleet's In")
    13. China Gate - (from "The China Gate")
    14. Fascination - (from "Love In The Afternoon")
    15. Song Of Raintree County - (from "Raintree County")
    16. Night Of The Quarter Moon - (from "Night Of The Quarter Moon")
    17. To Whom It May Concern - (from "Night Of The Quarter Moon")
    18. In The Cool Of The Day - (from "In The Cool Of The Day")
    19. Ballad Of Cat Ballou, The - (from "Cat Ballou")
    20. They Can't Make Her Cry - (from "Cat Ballou")
    21. Smile - (from “Modern Times”)

I got it for a song (ha), but it is evidently fairly scarce and now it is expensive. On a handful of tracks the sound came out OK, and luckily, Song Of Delilah is one of them. Most of the songs are now on Bear anyway, except for My Flaming Heart and Small Towns Are Smile Towns which are on Collectors Choice This Is Nat King Cole. So I don’t really understand its collectibility unless you want the one rare track, a remastered Song of Delilah. Delilah is also on the Longines Symphonette set of Cole LPs and the UK CD mentioned above thru AmazonUK.

I think it deserves a listen. I believe there is something likable about the song despite the overuse of early echo in the opening bars.

Victor Young along with Livingston & Evans wrote it. This same group had a number 2 hit in 1947 with Peggy Lee singing Golden Earrings. Her arrangement was by Heinie Beau who also wrote for Axel Stordahl and Billy May. It “brought mystery and intrigue to the 40s record buying public.” The CD Nat King Cole At The Movies says Song of Delilah was arranged and conducted by Dave Barbour, Peggy Lee’s husband. But the updated sessionography on apileocole’s website says it was arranged by Heinie Beau again and conducted by Dave Barbour. The arrangement for Nat is very close to that of Golden Earrings, down to the same early use of echo or reverb on both openings.

Friedwald in the notes refers to two exceptional songs heard here: Fascination and Song of Delilah. On Delilah he claims “with solos by Cole in the treble clef, and guitarist Irving Ashby.” I am not convinced that is Cole’s piano and why couldn’t the guitar solo be by Dave Barbour? Just speculating. The sound is pretty good for 1950. Give it a listen, you might like it.

The song lives on in jazz. James Carter recently played it on his album Present Tense but it was introduced to the jazz world in 1955 by Clifford Brown on an EmArcy album called Clifford Brown and Max Roach. Think of it as a Caravan-like piece for trumpet.

And this from Will Friedwald in the New York Sun, June 1, 2007. “A Vibe Master Returns” :
    After the success of Nature Boy, Nat was willing to try a variety of exotic songs like Song of Delilah and Return to Paradise. I am so glad he sang such a wide variety of songs. Coming soon in 1958 Nat successfully swings opera by Bizet.

I would really like to see a DVD of the movie Samson and Delilah. Could it be as bad as the cover of this soundtrack CD? And after that cover, here is natural shot, easier on the eyes, of the star, Hedy Lamarr.

Attached Files:

7. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Nat's soundies are collected on two different DVDs, pictured below. They're both quite good, although "Swing Era: Soundies and Telescriptions" is marred by a soundtrack that is slightly out of synch in a few instances. Still, you need that one to get some of the more obscure soundies like "Is You Is Or Is You Aint My Baby?" and "Frim Fram Sauce" and several others. (It has 27 clips, as opposed to the 18 on the other DVD, "The Snader Telescriptions.") Still, "The Snader Telescriptions" has better audio and video and it includes most of the truly essential soundies, including a few that are in color. It also has the notorious soundies in which Nat was made up in "white" pancake make-up.

Attached Files:

8. apileocole

Thanks Clark for the heads-up on the DVDs! As the saying goes, "Be sure you know what you want before you ask for it" but for those who do, it looks like a neat comp. Would you say, Clark, if you've seen these personally, that the clips on YouTube are taken from the DVD? Pretty rough shape. Anyway it goes to show again what a great spot we have here to find out about everything Cole we may never have otherwise known about.

A detail only for those interested in reissue press (as it is no longer news), a press article trumpeting the Collector's Choice reissues: http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/003678.html - again we thank you Carole Cole.

Clark: do you have the early comp Harvest Of Hits? Would you be able to relate the catalog # and titles, maybe even a scan of the cover? For adding a page for that release at the website.

9. apileocole

Ah yes that's one CD I did get and still have. Norbergrified sound, but what can we do. And I have seen the movie. It is that bad. :laugh: Still it's a colorfully produced "old Hollywood epic" that some folks may enjoy. When looking at the DVD situation of film projects Nat had any relation to, it's odd that bigger projects (like this or China Gate) still aren't out while the telescriptions are. Those involved would've been surprised. After getting over the shock that anyone would be viewing 'em in 2008 and in their living rooms no less. :cool:

10. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

I don't think the YouTube clips are taken from either of the DVDs. The soundies on the DVDs, with the exception of "Frim Fram Sauce," are complete and most include title cards at the beginning. The quality on many of them is a bit spotty, but still very watchable. And the quality of a few of the performances on the DVDs, such as "Nature Boy" and "For Sentimental Reasons," is really outstanding. They look and sound great. I think each of the DVDs can be purchased for less than $15. They're definitely worth having -- but, again, someone who isn't a completist might be satisfied with just the "Snader Telescriptions" (blue cover) disc.

Note: Although some of the telecriptions are lip-synched, they are not lip-synched to the commercial recordings. These are unique performances recorded exclusively by Snader... One of the books I have explains why it was done this way. I think it had to do with either the desire to film the trio without a microphone in front of Nat's face or, more likely, the fact that the film cameras were too noisy to allow for simultaneous audio recording.

As for "Harvest Of Hits," I have that only in 45 format! It's a box set of seven-inch 45s with six of the songs from the album. Not sure why I like collecting Nat's 45s more than his LPs, but I do... I also have "Penthouse Serenade" as a box set of 45s. I was somehow able to find copies of both in truly mint condition. I don't think the discs have ever been played and the covers look like they were manufactured yesterday. Anyway, here's what the box set of "Harvest Of Hits" looks like, if this helps...

Attached Files:

11. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Thanks everybody!

Even in Louisville, KY, we've been hit hard by Ike. Had a big branch smash though the front windshield of my (parked) car. Trees are down throughout the city. More than 200,000 in Louisville are without power, including my house. And they've said it might take a week to restore power. I'm writing this from work, but bottom line is that I don't think I'll be able to contribute much for the next week. Thanks to all of you for your posts...

Best, Ben

12. DJ WILBUR

oh what a bummer, sorry to hear about your plights and all involved with Ike...

13. dale 88

Ben, hope things are restored soon.

apileocole, I haven't seen the cover to the LP Harvest of Hits but here is the cataloging info from a university library for the LP, Capitol H-213. Sorry for the mashup look, but their formatting didn't translate to the thread.

Author: Cole, Nat King, 1917-1965. . Performer
    Title: Harvest of hits [sound recording] / Nat "King" Cole and his trio.
    Pub Info: Hollywood, Calif. : Capitol, [1949?]

Description: 1 sound disc : analog, 33 1/3 rpm, microgroove ; 10 in.
    Note: Notes on container.
    Jazz and popular songs; Nat "King" Cole, piano, vocals ; and his trio ; last work with orchestra ; Frank DeVol, conductor.
    Recorded in Los Angeles, Nov. 1943.

Contents: Straighten up and fly right / Irving Mills, Nat "King" Cole -- You call it madness (but I call it love) / Conrad, DuBois, Columbo, Gregory -- (Get your kicks on) Route 66 / Bob Troup -- Lush life / Billy Strayhorn -- Kee-mo ky-mo (The magic song) / Roy Alfred, Bob Hillard -- Gee, baby, ain't I good to you / Don Redman, Andy Razaf -- The frim fram sauce / Joe Ricardel, Redd Evans -- Nature boy / Eden Ahbez.

Subject Popular music -- 1941-1950.
    Jazz -- 1941-1950.
    Other Name: DeVol, Frank. . Conductor
    King Cole Trio. . Performer
    Publisher # H-213 Capitol

I don't know why the phrase "Recorded in Los Angeles, Nov. 1943" would have appeared on the "container" [cover]. Only Straighten Up... was recorded that month. Maybe they, the library, ran out of room for the rest or something.

14. apileocole

Ben: thank goodness you're safe. Do take care. Sound like Ike caused quite a mess (watch out for flying glass!) even into Kentucky. Our thoughts are with you as things hopefully get back in shape soon.

Clark and Dale: thanks for the info (and scan). It's just what was needed. I'm writing some commentary and will then assemble it all and post a page for the release. Dale, I think you're right they probably just listed the 1st track's date. :)

Clark: Yeah I can understand. 45s are neat. Like Dale I've never seen Harvest of Hits in any configuration. What a find you have at that! That cover is unbelieveably perfect. It's amazing that any record should survive that long in such minty shape, and it's great that it has come to be in your care where it'll be appreciated and well kept.

As for the "Year By Year" aspect, we are on 1957, which includes disc 5 of the Bear Family Stardust set:

(posted in the 1st Year By Year thread by Dale)

Disc: 5

1. Send for Me
    2. Let's Make More Love (I Want Your Love)
    3. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
    4. Song Is Ended (But the Melody Lingers On)
    5. You'll Never Know
    6. Just for the Fun of It [Alternate Take]
    7. Song of Raintree County
    8. Who's Sorry Now? [Mono Version]
    9. Who's Sorry Now? [Stereo]
    10. These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)
    11. Once in a While
    12. Just for the Fun of It
    13. Just One of Those Things
    14. I Should Care
    15. Party's Over
    16. Cottage for Sale
    17. I Understand
    18. When Your Lover Has Gone [Mono Version]
    19. When Your Lover Has Gone [Stereo]
    20. There's a Gold Mine in the Sky
    21. Around the World
    22. Affair to Remember (Our Love Affair)
    23. Fascination
    24. How Did I Change?
    25. It's None of My Affair
    26. Angel Smile
    27. Nothin' in the World

Whilst Ben is busy and dealing with the Ike situation, I might try to do a bit of catching up if possible (though obviously I'm keeping busy on the Nat site). Looks like I was still in '56 on disc 3!

15. apileocole

A page for Harvest of Hits has been posted at my website (releases > albums).

Now for a bit of catching up. The remaining non-After Midnight contents of disc 3 I'd not already discussed...

18. How Little We Know
    19. Should I?
    20. Ballerina

This is from a session that had been combined with a few earlier sessions in a similar style to form a hypothetical, imaginary LP Tangerine, detailed in the prior thread. Commonalities between them included being arranged by Nelson Riddle, being largely big band based in instrumentation and feel, and a fairly consistent vibe. Vital and vibrant, the brisk scoring and performances make for some lively listening. They're well recorded too (still mono only at this point).

It's hard to say now how it happened that How Little We Know went unreleased for ages. It's first issue may have been on a rare UK EMI LP, The Unreleased Nat King Cole from '87 or so, roughly 30 years after its recording. In my opinion it ranks among the best he cut in that stunning year of 1956. Guess it goes to show how little we know... With it's swinging lope and alternating tension and release effectively animating a delightful song, Nat is set to take a keen vocal, which in its playful final phrases one wouldn't mind having continue for a while. Once I'd played it a few times, it just worked under my skin like an itch you can't scratch away. Can't help but think it could have been a hit. But then Nat didn't need another one in '56. :D

Should I? is also effective, in as much as it leaves me wondering if they should have. ;) For some reason beyond its brevity, it sounds as if some part of it is missing. Anyway. It's a song that was already an oldie and the results here would make for a nice brassy n breezy album cut. But on its own merits, especially in the company it was among in 1956, I can see it being nixed.

Ballerina is a song that has always seemed to have found a bit more favor than I'd lend it. It was issued as a single (over How Little We Know yet, and despite being less conventional), was performed in at least some of his live sets and even rated a re-recording in stereo years later. Perhaps it was popular and he just plain enjoyed performing it, so that's that. At any rate, it's certainly not a bad song. There's a lot of energy in the band and overall feel. Nat is a fine choice to sing it, as by this point he's added a more biting side to his innately sympathetically oriented palette that embodies a certain irony the lyrics are all about.

16. benjaminhuf

Still no power, but I'm posting from a coffee shop this time so it feels legit.

2nd that on how great apileocole site is. Check it out. I like to just browse it sometimes.

If you're willing to help with posting discs, that'd be great. Many thanks. Everyone who is willing to help out can share. Maybe we can trade off. Like you said I think we should do albums, but I also think we should keep up with posting each Bear Family disc. I'm honestly losing track, but can someone tell me what album we're at and what disc we're on? Is it time already for another? I don't know. What do you folks think?

17. benjaminhuf

Dale: Interesting stuff. This DeMille epic is the epitome of "bad" Hollywood. It's almost so bad that it's good, but....mmmm. Not quite. I think DeMille's 1952 movie the Greatest Show on Earth with Jimmy Stewart is a lot better. Still the epic end of S & D is fairly spectacular for the era. It reminds me little of the end of an indiana Jones movie.

Hey, here's an off topic subject that I'm interested in. So, if everyone in this thread thinks that NKC is one of the tops when it comes to popular music from the 40s to the early 60s, what are your favorites in other fields. My favorite filmmaker from that era is Alfred Hitchcock, and I'm in a discussion group on his films called the Hitchcock Profile over at yahoo. When it comes to novels, one of my favorites is science fiction novelist Robert Silverberg, who also has a discussion over on yahoo, and a fan site at www.majipoor.com

What about you folks out there: who is your favorite director and your favorite novelist?

18. benjaminhuf

I like it! And there is glass that was flying that's now all over the floor of my car!

Thanks for the best wishes everyone. We're a lot better off than they are in Texas (or on Wall Street!).

Best, Ben

19. apileocole

I'd posted where we were, 1957: most of which is on Disc 5 from Bear Family's Stadust set (and the album, Just One Of Those Things). Still have catching up to do here, so afaic, we're good at the moment.

re: fav director and novelist, will have to give that some thought.

hehe.

Unlike what hit Texas, Wall Street often brews up its own storms. Still, good luck getting the car fixed (properly) and getting all that glass out...

20. apileocole

On with disc 4, excluding tracks from After Midnight and Love Is The Thing, which I've covered (or will cover) elsewhere:

5. True Blue Lou
    6. Like Someone in Love
    7. I'm Shooting High
    8. Tangerine

These all fit in the hypothetical album Tangerine, mentioned above. Big Band, arranged by Nelson Riddle. True Blue Lou... wish I didn't know anyone that lyric described, but I have. It might also be seen as a bit of a warm up for Just One of Those Things.

Like Someone In Love is a winner. Harry "Sweets" Edison is among those on trumpet, and as with the trumpet parts in general appears to superb effect. I like the little guitar strum sounding a literal air under Nat's lyric of "hearing guitar" the first time. Nat pauses implying the search for the analogy at the phrase "like" and his lean into the word "limp" is amusing. Wouldn't change a phrase from Nat, his vocal is a perfectly identifiable personification of each line. More than any one component though, the song just plain clicks.

The same can be said for Tangerine. It's a kick, easily segueing between a mellow and a zesty swing. The trumpets are feisty as the senorita the song concerns may be implied to be, and the whole vibe keeps that tang of, well a tangerine. It's even good played a bit obnoxiously loud. Again Nat nails every line, from the long emphasis on A-a-and, deft time and the vivid rendering of the descriptives ("eyes of night" etc). A toast to Tangerine!

...yet they went unreleased for decades.

On the Bear set it sounds like it's being played a bit slow (again) but what can we do. At least it's clear and they still work well. The Bear set is the only release of True Blue Lou. Like Someone in Love and I'm Shooting High were only on the scarce The Unreleased Nat King Cole LP from EMI UK and Tangerine was restricted to an odd Pickwick LP comp. So at least for now most folks who do have them will have them thanks to the Bear set.

9. One Sun

Nat seems to have regularly sprinkled a positive message song into the mix of general balladry, and One Sun is among the best. It deliberately tries to avoid being specifically religious (as they might have seen it) while hitting tenants of the positive messages of many religions. But as with the "Merry er, Holiday" political correctness of today, some may find it to suffer from the strain of dodging associations. There is some merit to that perspective. I happen to like it, but I'm sure some won't.

The overall feel is good, more genuine than some clinical or calculated "positive message" productions I've sat through. Nat's vocal is very attentive and warm. While Nelson is working on a more supportive role to the overall message, he still puts in bits like the clarinets "rippling" under the mention of a river etc and builds to a grand level a bit more naturally than some prior efforts. It still warmed my heart. :)

10. You Are My First Love

Oh it's a sweet, lovely and lush love song to be sure. Nicely done. But it's the least inspiring turn from Nat and Nelson to date that comes to mind at the moment...

Both were issued on Capitol singles.

21. DJ WILBUR

you know, thanks to you guys, this "Tangerine" album you sequenced has become one of my favorite Nat albums now...:agree:

22. dale 88

Yes, there is something about that group of songs that maintains my interest, too. Here are apileocole's playlists from Part 1. Now I need to burn the 14 song list too.

One of them, True Blue Lou, I wasn't sure that it was a good song for Nat. And I am not claiming it is a great song, but it still kept my attention.

I just now read a bit more about the song that helped me place it. It is a he-done-her-wrong song that was composed for a movie character (1929) who was an entertainer on the skids. The verse opens with "Down in the poolroom, some of the gang were talking of gals they knew..." Some songs for stage and screen almost beg for a spoken set-up, don't they? In any case, Tangerine is still the big closer.

23. dale 88

From Ben in Part 1, post #956:
    A complete collection could end up being huge.:cool: I like to read about song sources and background, but I have never been able to easily track down info on songs even with the internet. Witness the lack of internet background information on Smile.

I can think of three CDs that Capitol/EMI have issued with songs from stage and screen. I covered one of them in a previous post, Nat King Cole At The Movies, 1992. All of them are out-of-print I believe. In 2004 EMI Music South East Asia put out a CD that on the outer sleeve says Nat King Cole At The Movies. These are completely different collections. However the CD booklet is entitled Jazz on Cinema With Nat King Cole. There are 24 tracks, with 24-bit mastering by Sangwook Nam at Soundmirror, Korea. But I believe all of these titles are available in excellent sound on Bear, Mosaic, or recent Capitol or Collector’s Choice. None of its titles list the motion picture.

I thought I would be able to pit the mastering of Sangwook Nam against the mastering of Bob Norberg, but only one track is on both CDs: When I Fall In Love. The Korean mastering is a little sharper sounding and he put in too much echo. Norberg has reduced echo, and the voice came out especially fine, so I would pick Norberg in that matchup.
    Tracklist:
    1. L-O-V-E
    2. LET THERE BE LOVE
    3. QUIZAS, QUIZAS, QUIZAS
    4. AQUELLOS OJOS VERDES
    5. MONA LISA
    6. SMILE
    7. NATURE BOY
    8. WHEN I FALL IN LOVE
    9. STARDUST
    10. AUTUMN
    11. THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU
    12. I REMEMBER YOU
    13. LOVE LETTERS
    14. FLY ME TO THE MOON (IN OTHER WORDS)
    15. BLUE MOON
    16. THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA
    17. IT'S ONLY A PAPER MOON
    18. LUSH LIFE
    19. Makin’ Whoopee
    20. (I LOVE YOU) FOR SENTIMENTAL REASONS
    21. DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME
    22. SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES - INSTRUMENTAL - NAT KING COLE TRIO
    23. I WISH YOU LOVE - LIVE
    24. UNFORGETTABLE - BONUS TRACK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In 2001, Nat King Cole Songs From Stage and Screen came out. Looking at the contents, I don’t see any track that is not available elsewhere. This series of album compilations did have new remastering, and some tout the 24-bit on the cover. Clark Kauffman posted the cover scan in Part 1.
    I really like those scans or shots of the digipack covers, Clark.

01 - (1:54) Almost Like Being in Love [From The Show & Motion Picture BRIGADOON]
    02 - (2:26) Let's Face the Music & Dance [From The Picture FOLLOW THE FLEET]
    03 - (2:44) You'll Never Know [From The Picture HELLO FRISCO HELLO]
    04 - (3:44) I Got it Bad (And That Ain't Good) [From The Stage Show JUMP FOR JOY]
    05 - (3:14) I Remember You [From The Picture THE FLEET'S IN]
    06 - (3:12) Pick Yourself Up [From The Picture SWING TIME]
    07 - (1:34) I'm Shooting High [From The Picture KING OF BURLESQUE]
    08 - (2:47) I Should Care [From The Picture THRILL OF ROMANCE]
    09 - (2:28) O.K. For TV [From The Stage Show TOP BANANA]
    10 - (2:45) Love Letters [From The Picture LOVE LETTERS]
    11 - (3:16) Ain't Misbehavin' [From The Musical Revue HOT CHOCOLATES OF 1929]
    12 - (2:07) Should I [From The Pictures OUR MODERN MAIDENS & LORD BRYON OF BROADWAY]
    13 - (2:24) Again [From The Picture ROAD HOUSE]
    14 - (3:02) An Affair to Remember [From The Picture AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER]
    15 - (2:14) Just One of Those Things [From The Stage Show JUBILEE]
    16 - (2:33) Spring is Here [From The Stage Show and Picture I MARRIED AN ANGEL]
    17 - (2:47) I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face [From The Stage Show and Picture MY FAIR LADY]
    18 - (2:42) The Party's Over [From The Stage Show and Picture THE BELLS ARE RINGING]

Attached Files:

24. DJ WILBUR

actually I prefered the 12 song variant...its perfect!

25. dale 88

An NBC photo of the trio I saw in a book about radio. I liked the look of amusement on Oscar's face.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.