NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Yes, your 2-3 periods probably make more sense than mine. :righton:

And I think your explanation for why they left Embraceable off of the original album makes sense. They did, however, put on the other SACDs extra tracks recorded for the other albums as bonus tracks, like the great tracks found on the full After Midnight set.

But, I am really, really looking forward to these SACDs. I've been listening to the other albums that Steve H mastered quite a few years ago now--especially The Very Thought of You. It is pretty amazing what his version pulls out of the tapes. I don't think of the other versions as muddy at all, but Steve's version has an amazing intimacy. I mean even on my car stereo I feel like I'm a magic speck stuck in the mic back in 1958 as you can almost feel that amazing voice bringing these songs to life. When he sings on the Very Thought it's almost trance-like at times. He takes these standards and it seems like they become more than just words; it's almost like you are peering into the soul of somebody. And it's a very idealistic soul that believes in love so much. I guess that was Nat's magic, but Steve brings it out. And unlike some singers, where if you get too close maybe it might not pay off, the closer you get to NKCs singing the better it gets. I know that sounds rather over the top, and I imagine someone else has a better way of saying it...

I've been listening to Steve's Very Thought on my way to and from work for a few days, and since my drive is about 15-20 minutes each way, each day I pretty much hear the whole thing. Here's a moment on this album that I keep being amazed by every time--on the song My Heart Tells Me one line is "do you believe what you are sa--ying" He stretches out saying and his voice becomes very slightly sandpapery and cracks ever so slightly. But it's subtle. For most singers doing that might seem somewhat affected, and some people might read Nat's version that way too. But for me it's quite a moment in that song. And it's one that--if I'm remembering correctly--doesn't quite come out as well on the other releases.

Another place where Steve mastering shines on the album is with the violins, but I'm hoping that this will be even better with the upcoming SACD. On some of the Bear Family tracks, as we've talked about, the sound is sometimes a bit sharp, brittle, digital, and--oh, how to say it--leaves a slight metallic tang on your tongue and in your ears. It can sometimes come with the violin sections, which are not as pleasurable to hear on the Bear Family set than they might be. Steve's original version makes this better, but I wonder if there's not still room for more improvement that the SACD's resolution will help with....

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was thinking about L*O*V*E when you mentioned the foreign language versions. I pulled ou my copy of the Capitol Record Club issue of The Man And His Music, a 20 song compilation. First question When was this issued? my guess is 69 by the green labels. Second question is is this the only place to find the amalgam version of L*O*V*E(in six different languages)? A fun mix/mash up. I picked this up almost 40 years ago as my first Nat collection(I HAD been using my Dads Longines box set I bought him and Mom til I moved out).

The set also has a neat booklet that I had forgotten about since I bought it. Other LPs and sets took this ones place except for that version of L*O*V*E. That kept it in the collection.

3. benjaminhuf

JamieC: Interesting. Yeah, I've heard that weird mash up of all the different foreign language versions of LOVE mixed with the English. I'm almost positive it's on CD, but I can't think of which one right now. Anyone else know?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

FYI, we were allowed two bonus tracks on THE NAT "KING" COLE STORY. Of course we picked the two big hits that would have been on the Story box if it had been done a few years later.

Embraceable You would have never been put on there in any circumstance back in the day so we would never have presumed to second guess Nat Cole and Lee Gillette.

5. benjaminhuf

Fair enough. We'll look forward to this epic album in the good old summer time. It certainly is generous with 38 tracks. It's great you could add something to complete what's already a deluxe package of songs. Is the booklet going to be in there too?

Jamie: I haven't yet found that LOVE mash my pile of NKC discs. I thought it might be on the Bear Family LOVE box (would make sense, right?), and they do seem to have the English, Italian, German, and Spanish versions of the song, but not a mash up (unless it's right in front of me and I'm just missing it). So I wonder if you're right that this is some idea someone at Capitol go in the late 60s. It's a good idea, and works pretty well.

Can't resist. Here are some more photos.

Attached Files:

6. benjaminhuf

Some pix of the original Story set....

Attached Files:

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Is it in French and Japanese there as well?

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I wonder how much of the original artwork (booklets etc.) will be reproduced?

9. benjaminhuf

Yes, I see the Japanese, but right now I'm not seeing the French. Should be here somewhere, but....

10. benjaminhuf

Meanwhile, NKC plays as Eartha Kitt sings in the film Saint Louis Blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3r1UEM6BNc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9WEaCrfok&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0svZkSK2oRw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPYVlUV_xk4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrIMM5KwOZA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSeakae82rg

11. benjaminhuf

another delay! now March 26....

I wonder what's going on? A few days ago it was March 1st. And wasn't the original date Jan. 1st? I guess getting close to perfection takes time...

But here's the exciting news that I guess is already pretty well known:

"This SACD version of The Very Thought Of You features the very first ever original mono versions of "Don't Blame Me" and "There Is No Greater Love." NEVER BEFORE RELEASED!"

Since I love both of these songs, this is good news indeed.

Nat "King" Cole - The Very Thought of You

Label:
    Analogue Productions
    Genre:
    Male Vocalist
    Product No.: CAPP 1084 SA
    Availability: Pre Order
    Category:
    Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Coming March 26, 2010

Hybrid Multichannel SACD

$35.00
    PreOrder
    or Add to Wishlist

Also available on:
    • 45 RPM Vinyl LP
    Share/Bookmark

* Description
    * Tracks

This SACD version of The Very Thought Of You features the very first ever original mono versions of "Don't Blame Me" and "There Is No Greater Love." NEVER BEFORE RELEASED!

Space constraints in authoring this disc prevent these two bonus tracks from being included on the CD layer of this disc. But for the SACD layer, we've got the complete mono album along with the two never-before-released bonus tracks, for a total of 16 songs.

Nat King Cole and arranger Gordon Jenkins followed their hit album Love Is The Thing by foraging further into romantic and sensual bliss. The result is the audio equivalent of a distillation of romantic ardor in a bottle.

Originally released in 1958.

12. benjaminhuf

I put in my preorders for Love and Very Thought.....$35 each for the SACD.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

from the Acoustic Sounds catalog...

".....But maybe most
    exciting is what’s left to come. Hopefully beginning by the end
    of 2009, we’ll have six Nat King Cole individual titles and one
    boxed set on 45-RPM LP and three-channel SACD. These are cut
    from the original three-track masters by Kevin Gray and Steve
    Hoffman with the SACDs authored by Gus Skinas. Here’s my
    prediction: These Nat King Cole titles are going to be the biggest,
    most talked-about, best-sounding, best-selling titles we’ve ever reissued. They are that unbelievably awesome!....."

"Cut from the original 3-track master tapes
    Mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at
    AcousTech Mastering
    SACDs Authored by Gus Skinas
    • • • Available on 45 RPM LP and SACD • • •
    The original “close-miked” mono “hit” mixes are also
    included for the SACDs of LOVE IS THE THING,
    ST. LOUIS BLUES, THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU and
    JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS. The mono versions
    were recorded and mixed live during recording and
    have been out of print since the middle 1960s. These
    are the versions that sold a million units and propelled
    LOVE IS THE THING to #1 on the album charts in
    1957. The mono mixes for these four albums are rare,
    beautiful sounding and included as a bonus on your
    SACD layer.

On every title but After Midnight (mono mix only),
    the SACD layer on each of these discs will include
    a three-channel mix, a stereo mix and a mono mix.
    The CD layer of the hybrid disc will be stereo only."

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

JamieC, I picked up a copy of Nat King Cole -- The Man and His Music several years ago for that reason also.

You may be right that it was issued around 1969 because of the greenish labels, I don't know. I think it was also reissued later, because my copy has orange/red labels, and there was a record club edition too. The one place on the internet that had a date said it was 1973. But there was no confirmation of that date.

For those interested, my copy lists these credits:
    Multi-Lingual Version of L-O-V-E Conceived & Edited by George Irwin
    Booklet Notes: Todd Everett
    Re-Mix Engineer: Jack Manchen

I believe someone has commented on this multi-lingual version in one of the threads, but I haven't been able to locate it yet. My recollection is that this two LP set is the only source for the LOVE multi-lingual version.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.