NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The suits at the Tower should ask Steve and Kevin to do the DSD remastering for the SACD!:righton:

2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Steve,

Did you get your hands on the UK pressing yet? What sort of difference might we be talking about here?

Thanks.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Steve,

I may have asked about this many, many months ago, but don't really recall your answer.

When you were working with the 3-track tapes for Love is the Thing, did any of the tape boxes or paperwork (if you encountered any) make mention of a tune that was recorded but not included in the album? Capitol files indicate that Nat and Jenkins recorded "I Was a Little too Lonely", but it couldn't be located by Bear Family and was presumably scrapped.

Note: Nat had already done this tune a few months earlier for the After Midnight sessions. This, apparently, was a unique recording done at those December 1956 sessions.

Sorry if it was asked and answered, your honor. The memory is not what it was.

5. As long as we're fantasizing about this anyway, how about a Hoffmanized SACD collection of all of Nat's Gordon Jenkins recordings at Capitol?!? That would be a thrill and a half for this Jenkins fan!:D

6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

And while you're here, Steve. As you already know, it sure would be nice if you could do some more of the NKC catalog. The half-dozen released titles you've done just isn't nearly enough.:righton:

7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

For a second there, I thought you were going to say Just One of Those Things, since I am now writing about it. I am afraid that comments so far on Love is The Thing are scattered in the Part 1 of this thread. DJ had a post on page 47 admiring the DCC version, Clark had a great anecdote about Stardust on the same page, page 49 had comments on the music from apileocole, and I had 2 or 3 short posts on page 42. Other brief comments are all over the thread.

I would love to hear more comments on the album, favorite songs and impressions of the sound.

Such as Ian Bradley in Bury, Lancashire, United Kingdom :wave:, Ian, have you heard or collected the various UK versions? Do you also have the DCC?

8. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

Hi, Dale. Thanks for the mention! I started collecting Nat with the 1987 Alan Dell produced digital releases on vinyl. I bought Love is the Thing on CD when it was first issued - believing it was an upgrade and I junked all my Nat vinyl from this source! It's only since joining this forum twelve months ago my audio education proper has begun and I realise what I have been missing.

Whilst I've collected original gray label Sinatra pressings, I haven't been able to (afford) to go down that route with Nat. I DID, however, pick up the two DCC Jenkins albums. What can you say? On Steve's mastering, the strings spread across the sound stage like a wave breaking across golden sand. And Nat's voice is just velvet. It's an awesome listening experience.

Whilst people rave (rightly) about Stardust, it's the opening track which gained real currency here in the UK, I think. I always remember my Dad telling me he would hear that song being played over and over again by a lad in the yard next door. You really can imagine a teenager taking the idea that falling in love should be forever as his credo - Nat's record shaping his world view, almost! You would go out into the world expecting to find suchj a giurl and thinking that is what love should be.Such is the definitive nature of this particular recording and such is Nat's stature as an artist. It's given to very few singers to achieve that level of importance - that their work becomes part of the listener's DNA.

Incoherent ramblings but when I think about this album, it's that title track and the story of a boy listening in a sun bleached yard hoping for that sort of love.

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Yes Dale is right, I wrote this on 8-13-08...and its in part 1, but as we've got Steve focused here now, but didn't then, and many members see him posting in this thread here and now...maybe we can get some new drive by posting for this much loved title in the DCC cannon and more as we're now in album territory many will have....

haha, i wrote in May I would write about this and then as per usual this thread takes on a life of its own and i've been "waiting" for that album to begin what with all the distractions forgetting we were on it....so not to take away from disc 5 and Just One of Those Things, but....

this is an album that I didnt really know when I got the Bear Family box set. Oh I had a CDR of the DCC thing hoping one day to own my own copy....and I have my parents old vinyl of this in my basement now, but the time I'd spent with it in my early Nat phase didn't amount to much. Like some of Sinatra's weeper albums, this one didn't swing, wasn't fun and I found it a dud as I absorbed the livelier, jazzier stuff....

But over time, basically thanks to this thread...I've gone back over a lot of his material and the ballads have taken on a life of their own for me and this album has become an absolute fave. Gordon Jenkins created some masterfully understated arrangements and his whispers, purrs, and vocal delivery is so relaxing, so perfect. I tend to love the Billy May swinging stuff, but Jenkins did such great lushness with Nat and as my Nat palate grows this stuff is now in my faves pile.

I used to use this record to fall asleep to, but now it doesnt put me to sleep, i'm hooked on every nuance and its become a very active listen where once it was very passive listen.

the track "Stardust" has no peer in his cannon really. its a perfect track and for me his signature song, but the opener When I Fall in Love into Stardust is sublime...though for me, this album also ends with Stardust as on the DCC version, and having that track twice isn't even really enough IMO, even the tracks tagged on from Where Did Everyone Go? have become part of the listen, though they dont belong, they do seem to fit well together.....still the arrangement on Stardust is just other worldly really, but it works perfectly and is nice after the bonus tracks cause it closes out this listen back with that session.

the DCC gold track listing...cause this is the version I've grown to love...

Track Listings
    1. When I Fall In Love
    2. Stardust
    3. Stay As Sweet As You Are
    4. Where Can I Go Without You?
    5. Maybe It's Because I Love You Too Much
    6. Love Letters
    7. Ain't Misbehavin'
    8. I Thought About Marie
    9. At Last
    10. It's All In The Game
    11. When Sunny Gets Blue
    12. Love Is The Game

Bonus tracks on DCC gold cd from "Where Did Everybody Go"
    13. Someone To Tell It To
    14. The End Of A Love Affair
    15. If Love Ain't There
    and a lovely bonus too!

Attached Files:

• nat.jpg
      nat.jpg
      File size:
      15 KB
      Views:
  10. Steve Hoffman

Something about NAT and Gordon Jenkins, yes? They really went together. Once your modern ears gets used to the shock of Gordon Jenkins' "pull out the stops" arrangements you realize (finally) that he is being very understated. After all, there are a LOT of string players but they do indeed sound understated (especially in the stereo version). In the mono they are more "there" but that sounds good as well.

Nat's voice is truly like velvet on this album (and "The Very Thought Of You" LP). Would you be surprised to learn that LOVE IS THE THING is the album that people want to talk about when they meet me? Not Dylan, Eagles, Cream, Ringo but NAT "KING" COLE. Audiophiles seem to really love the DCC albums I did.

I'm glad because they were a real labor of love. I mean, months of negotiations (with record companies, estates, etc.) A month of talking them in to letting us REMIX from the raw work parts and then finally actually doing it with ol' Steve behind the console, a bit nervous because this is true history and I didn't want to muck it up.

Question for you who have heard the Gold CD on DCC of LOVE IS THE THING:

Stardust on the album is song number two. How does the echo level on it sound to you? Have you compared it to the "CNN version" (the bonus track at the end of the album)? That version is totally dry, no echo. Does that sound better to you or worse? Would you say I nailed the echo level on track 2? Would you want more or less is what I'm trying to say?

Thanks!

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Steve, it sounds good to these ears just the way it is.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

If i could only have one I would take the dry bonus cut. no echo makes his vocal almost "otherworldly"....odd to hear it this way compared to the echo version, but something about that dry vocal makes it so special. Might be my single favorite Nat recording, so thanks for slipping that on there...I'm assuming it was an "oops, how did that get on that cd mistake"? or did they approve you including that from the get go? I've always wondered....

13. dale 88

Oh, man, you are going to make us choose? While I loved being able to hear the CNN totally dry version (and I like it), the other version, track 2, seems to be imprinted on my brain. If I had to pick a new desert island version, maybe one with a smidgen less than track 2 would be interesting and a differentiating choice for the consumer.

14. dale 88

I am not surprised to learn that Nat King Cole is what people want to talk about when they meet you. Somehow Nat could connect like few before or since. Having that voice and those arrangements is just icing on the cake. After being away from Stardust for awhile, when I do go back, Nat can still bring me around. For me it is usually when he finishes the introduction, and starts the phrase "Sometimes I wonder". What a release that is!

Thanks for the work you do to bring these Nat King Cole albums back with better sound.

Dale

15. Steve Hoffman

That STARDUST is the version, no question.

I did enjoy myself at Capitol working on that stuff. I'd sit at Nat's piano in Studio A and imagine what it was like there in 1956 or so. A great, spooky place at night. Quite a creative atmosphere to work in...

When I give my lectures I always play the "CNN version" of Stardust. Always wow's 'em.

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

It's fine by me. Just enough to add that special "grandeur" but doesn't get in the way. It's also better echo than I hear on a lot of these, both vintage and remixes with echo (like some on the Bear boxes). On the bad examples (most, IMH) the echo can seem to "shout" wrong or not quite compliment the soundfield right. Sounds "right" on the DCC.

What that "CNN version" proves to me is this: if there was a choice between what is considered a "state of the art industry standard" job using the real echo chambers, or you doing it in your fashion but zero echo chamber access, I'd rather you did it anyway. Let it be dry. If it's the gear or calibration or what all I don't know. The important thing is that the magic is there. The "weight," the actual vitality, the texture. The other CDs sound more like a cheap stereo, just different sensibilities. With Nat, especially in a sound like that, he could sing the phone book. Not that it was ever down to that but... y'know.

That's the thing. Love is the thing! Tee hee.

Probably said it before, but one of the wonderful things about this place has been meeting others who appreciate these things which are so special to me. So few around me would listen to it. Hip Hop, rap, Latin, some current Country radio, maybe top 10, never older than mid-'80s in the area, seems that's been the main thing around here ever since the mid-'80s. Classic pop could be from Persia for all it mattered. Usually listen to it on headphones. It's still a pleasant surprise to hear how many more folks also enjoy hearing Nat Cole. :)

Nat does "cut through" to an amazing degree, both with or some times in spite of the musical context. An interview posted hereabout revealed something I found interesting. Nat said guests to his house were always surprised to find he had little in the way of vocal non-jazz records in his own collection, except some Armstrong. Nat said "they can't understand it!" Somehow it didn't seem so surprising to me.

17. Steve Hoffman

I used Capitol Tower echo chamber #9. BUT, I modified the sound to emulate the vintage tone of the chambers as they sounded in the 1950s. A little trick I learned from the late Larry Levine. That makes all the difference. :)

18. I have some "mastered by Ron Hill" EMI discs on Julie London. The sound on the mono tracks is bearable but on the stereo ones it's horrendous. Extreme smileyface eq and noise reduction killing all the air in the recording. I wouldn't consider any late 90's work from this particular engineer to be a replacement for anything, excet of course "your worst headache".

I have some Norberg that's annoying in my own collection. Wasn't the 1994 Greatest Hits on Capitol his work? You know, the disc that begins with the original "Unforgettable" and ends with the duet version . . . .

19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Always #9 when doing Classic Capitol, Steve? How bout on Just One of Those Things? I remember what a revelation that was when I first heard it - having grown up on the original stereo Lp, SW 903. Night and day.

20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A couple of great shots from the Love is the Thing sessions, December 1956.

Attached Files:

21. Steve Hoffman

Always chamber 9, yes, with my special sound mods...

This is the chamber preferred by engineers down through the years. Used on Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Dino, Beatles, etc.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What chambers do you use on the orchestra, Steve? I remember the echo being stereo on there, right?

Beautiful pictures, Jordan...

23. Steve Hoffman

The echo on the vocal is stereo as well.

I believe I used chamber 3, the "Orchestra Chamber".

The trick (which I didn't do because I didn't want the echo to sound like the old Capitol mixes; why bother to remix?) is that you compress the echo on the way in and out before it hits tape to get that old Dave Dexter Beatles Second Album sound (or almost anything on Capitol after 1956).

If you don't compress you can't get a constant reverb sound on the orchestra because at low level there is nothing happening in the chamber to generate echo. Capitol echo on the old records is there even when the orchestra (or vocal) is low in volume. This is something that does not happen in nature but needs to be generated (using reverb compression). Without it there is just nothing there.

On LOVE IS THE THING, etc. that I remixed I did NOT use chamber compression. When the orchestra gets quiet it becomes dry..

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Steve! Is each chamber mic'd in stereo?

Stereo echo on Nat...that's what I meant, sorry. Obviously the orchestra would have stereo echo...

25. Steve Hoffman

Yes, stereo. If you want mono you choose one channel or the other. I don't think that's been done in 40 years though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.