Faith No More - Angel Dust - MFSL Mofi Gold CD and vinyl LP *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Angel Dust is the fourth studio album by Faith No More and it was the second to feature Mike Patton on vocals and the final with long time guitarist Jim Martin. To this day it is still held in very high regard as one of the most influential records of the '90s and many consider this album to be Faith No More at their finest. It was on Angel Dust that Mike Patton came into his own and Billy Gould, Roddy Bottum and Mike "Puffy" Bordin, thanks to the success of The Real Thing, had more confidence in their ability to create the album they truly wanted to. At the same time, guitarist Jim Martin began to become dissatisfied with the direction that their music was going and after touring to support Angel Dust in the summer of 1992, he exited the band due to internal conflicts. Here on Mobile Fidelity Numbered Limited Edition Gold CD!

[​IMG]

I wished Mofi would do "The Real Thing"... the stronger album (IMO).

2. claypool

claypool New Member

Thanks for the news. "Angel Dust" is a very good album. I'm looking forward to this release.

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Awesome! Is there a release date for this? I agree The Real Thing is slightly better but Angel Dust is their second best album for sure, and seems to be more critically acclaimed too.

This is one I shall definitely be buying!

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Someone slap me, am I dreaming?? :eek:

This is great news! Maybe "The Real Thing" will follow?

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I'm sure I emailed MoFi a few months ago with a list which included Angel Dust and The Real Thing.

I wonder if any of the other albums I requested shall appear on the Gold. :D

6. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

WOW! Glad I didn't pull the trigger on buying the LP on eBay!

7. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm thinking the same thing. My favorite record of all ****in' time.
    I have to say, though, that the original CD sounds pretty damn good.

8. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

I finally gambled on a clean Korean pressing myself.It sounds incredible but I'll have to get the Mofi LP to compare the two anyway.I didn't expect this one at all!

9. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Excellent! Hopefully this comes out on LP as well. Just listened to Album of the Year the other day. That's a nice listen as well...

10. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Where did this information come from? There's nothing on the Mofi website.

11. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Thanks, it's always good to post a link with an announcement. Where does it mention the CD?

13. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

Angel Dust is definitely in my top five records of all time - close to if not numero uno on any given day. Along with King for a Day, it defines FNM for me - before/after those records were blurry times for them (IMHO), and I'm glad they stopped making records after Album of the Year.

Wasn't Angel Dust one of the first often-cited uses of supposedly ridiculous limiting? I can only laugh at how tame it sounds now in comparison to the completely obliterated music of today.

14. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

15. Spirit Crusher

I've actually heard only a small handful of MOFIs. If this were 10 years ago and a DCC, I'd get it, no question. Could I trust that this would really be an improvement over the 1992 CD?

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

imo the 1992 CD doesnt sound that good, kind of tinny and weak, but maybe that was the production.

17. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

I agree that it's both a great-sounding CD, but also a little tinny. That's all Matt Wallace though (the tinny factor), me thinks.

18. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Aha. Here's the link to the vinyl. I have a UK pressing of this which sounds great. Should be interesting...

19. Spirit Crusher

Really? Geez, compare it to The Real Thing! Angel Dust sounds much richer to me.

20. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Maybe I'm getting them mixed up.

21. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

Both, IMHO, have shortcomings re: the mix. I call it the Wallace sound - he produced, engineered and mixed both records.

Although I think Angel Dust is the best FNM record, King for a Day is easily the best-sounding to my ears.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  22. Spirit Crusher

To my ears, Angel Dust has "darker" bottom end and I like the drum sound.
    King for a Day, of course, has the Andy Wallace (no relation) sound - he mixed and produced. Not as dark - sounds like his Chaos A.D. And King for a Day is louder and probably compressed. Still sounds great, though. My second favorite FNM record.

23. nin

nin Forum Resident

Great news. I REALLY hope they will do Real thing also, that one have really crappy sound on vinyl.

24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

after the Metallica disappointment, I'm not too excited. I hope it goes well though.

25. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I do hope The Real Thing gets the treatment too, but I assumed that with the Because Sound Matters thing, it would have been logical for SH and KG to have done it, since FNM were on Slash/Reprise. I wonder how MFSL scored on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.