Faith No More - Angel Dust - MFSL Mofi Gold CD and vinyl LP *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

Mike Patton's vocals :D

wish Introduce Yourself was on the radar.

2. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

Wow...I had the original cassette, and now the CD and - to be fair, maybe it's just in comparison to modern-day obliterated music - I never thought Angel Dust sounded harsh at all. I mean, screaming, et. all content aside.

Regardless, I'm psyched to check out the MFSL having read this at mofi.com - "MFSL engineers were quite impressed with the dynamic range and natural tonality present on the master tapes."

Hopefully it's not a bunch of smoke! :)

3. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

i was replying to someone who said it was being pushed back. the 16th is the release date.

4. Cacepi

Cacepi New Member

I grabbed the CD - last week - shipped - hopefully arrives this week sometime... I can't wait... One of my favorite albums - packaging looks pretty cool.
    Hopefully the Vinyl is out also - but I haven't actually seen the LP.. it's always preorder... So not sure if its actually released yet...

5. RichmondFC

RichmondFC Member

Be sure to let us know your thoughts, absolutely love this album. Everythings Ruined is my favourite FNM song. :D

6. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

Just got mine @ Newbury Comics, Boston - paid $28.99. Will be checking out tonight! \w/

7. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

After an initial listen, I think it sounds very similar to the original release, although it’s definitel not as bright or as loud. That should make for a less-fatiguing listening overall, but at this point I’m not sure it was worth the $.

TongueDruid likes this.
  8. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks. I'm so used to the 1992 CD, I don't think I'll bother. I will be buried with it.

9. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

here's a funny story, when they were writing this LP in the beginning they felt that they didn't have enough good material, so Bill (who was also my landlord at the time in the LoHa) asked the writer of my band to submit some music, although it wasn't used...

10. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I forgot we had a thread for this one. I'll repost my thoughts from the general MFSL 2008 thread here . . .

The "MoFi blurb" I mention is the one where they state how the engineers found such better sound on the original tapes. It really got my hopes up, and it just doesn't deliver. That's not to say it doesn't sound good - it sounds like a typical MFSL release. That's to say that for the discerning listener, it rewards, but it is not the kind of thing that will shake your world. I am certain that after I listen to it exclusively for a while, going back to the other one will probably prove a bit more shocking than going the opposite direction. I'm only hesitant to say it was worth the money because I'm not sure I listen to FNM that much anymore . . . yet I had to have it.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  11. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Good -- because that's exactly how I find the original: bright, loud and fatiguing. Thanks; I may pick this up after all.

By the way, does the package include a regular-size booklet with lyrics (like Permanent Waves did)?

12. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Yes, it does have a booklet w/ lyrics. I am actually very pleased w/ this one. To me there is a lot more air and detail, in particular RV sounds amazing. I never noticed Mike's breathing between words occasionally. The drums sound much clearer in general. I'm happy w/ the purchase (& yes, I have the original disc as well, which I always liked). :thumbsup:

13. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

Anyone else catch that one "Mike Mordin" is on drums?

According to the erroneous MFSL liner notes...

14. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

Is that Billy Gould you are referring to?

15. Spirit Crusher

To quote Dr. Hibbert: "Good Lord."

16. Cacepi

Cacepi New Member

Thats bad - doesn't anyone Proof read these things?
    Hell it woulda been better if they just put 'Puffy' instead of misspelling his name...
    Still waiting for mine - I don't expect it to be that much better - just a little more 'air' - I'm hoping for.
    I love the sound of the original. I have 3 other copies...lol

17. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

yes, nice guy...

18. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

just got mine. there's enough of an improvement that i'd say any diehard fan of this album would see it worthy picking up. as other's have said, more air, more natural sounding. can really notice on "RV". compared to this pressing, it sounds like the original release was given some high-end sweetening and compression, akin to "The Real Thing". not so with this, so the points that get a little muddy sounding on the original, like the chorus of "Midlife Crisis", bridge of "RV",etc. stay full and powerful. "Malpractice" sounds entirely better.
    MFSL did a nice job!!!

oopap likes this.
  19. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Got mine yesterday, and gave it a listen. I concur with what's been posted above: definitely more air, and a warmer sound. I used to shy away from the original because it was so harsh and loud; by contrast, the MFSL made me want to crank it up -- which I did! I'm very satisfied.

20. Spirit Crusher

This sounds good. The difference is subtle on my little PC system but yes, more space; vocals seem a little lower, but actually sound clearer in some places; bass, bass drum, snare really jump out at me on "Midlife Crisis". Keys not as bright.
    I know this record backwards and forwards so I can hear the difference.
    I switch between the old Caffeine and this one, and the original sounds a bit more bloated; bass boosted; on the MFSL can crank it and there's space around the bass so I can hear actual bass guitar rather than just boom.

So far I like it. Not a huge improvement but I'm a FNM freak.

Everything's Ruined, MFSL top, original bottom.

Attached Files:

21. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

The difference is very obvious on my hifi system. More space, dynamics, as Spirit Crusher said the bass sounds more realistic, even on my small speakers. I'd love to hear it on some big floorstanders.

22. Spirit Crusher

Oh yeah. Or not, as I would just cry...

It's interesting to A/B a track, and just looking at the waveform, the original is pretty squashed. By today's standards, of course, it isn't.

23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I was half expecting the bottom one to be the MFSL, after the Rush thread. I'm glad it's the top one!

24. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

Any word on how the vinyl sounds?

25. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

I had always thought there was a sort of fuzziness to the top end of the original release, that's completely gone in the MFSL. Everything sounds more balanced and the instruments sound more separated. Rob's done a great job bringing this one up to the level it should be at, well worth the purchase for me.

I wonder how much better the masters of The Real Thing sound than the very top-heavy CD...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.