Titles that need to be reissued on Audiophile Labels

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frumaster, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member Thread Starter

Ok, what are some classic albums that have been overlooked/forgotten by the major Audiophile labels (MFSL,DCC, Classic Recs, etc)? I've got a bunch, but I'll start with a couple of the ones that REALLY bug me.

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland and Are You Experienced (the UK mono release)
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't think much has been overlooked or forgotten. But there are certain limitations of what "can" be done depending on who owns the masters and rights.

Little Feat - Feats Don't Fail Me Now would be nice with a top quality remaster.

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, DCC doesn't count since they won't be issuing anything. I'd like to have Heart Dreamboat Annie on a Classic HDAD.

also, Ten Years After A Space In Time (preferably on a quad SACD from MFSL)

4. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

Percy Faith's Bouquet.

5. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Actually there are a lot of titles that could use it!

The Joe Jackson catalogue (yes Night and DAy has been done twice)
    Other Floyd titles like The Wall, Wish You were here, Meddle etc
    while the 1st 2 I listed were on CBS 1/2 speeds, they could still use
    a good vinyl and SACD release.
    More Bob Dylan
    Early Kinks
    I could go on and on with lesser artist as well. So the pool is far from empty, just as Jeff stated before, it depends on who owns the rights, and are the original masters still in good condition.

Tim

6. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

MFSL did do The Wall, but the album could be done again.

On that note:
    Pink Floyd-Animals
    Love-Out Here
    Queensryche-Operation:mindcrime
    Red Hot Chili Peppers-BloodSugarSexMagik
    Faith No More-The Real Thing
    Anthrax-Among The Living
    Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland
    Lenny Kravitz-Let Love Rule
    Prince & The Revolution-Around The World In A Day
    Prince & The Revolution-Parade
    Prince-Sign 'O' The Times
    Prince-Lovesexy

7. bodine

bodine Senior Member

My Top Ten for Audiophile Treatment

Deja Vu: Crosby Stills Nash and Young
    Music for Loving: Ben Webster
    Moondance: Van Morrison
    Otis Blue: Otis Redding
    Traffic: Traffic
    Miles Davis and John Coltrane: Live in Stockholm, 1961
    Are You Experienced? Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Something Else: Kinks
    Blues A Plenty: Johnny Hodges
    Father of the Delta Blues: Son House

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Attached Files:

McLover and John Porcellino like this.
  9. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Nice list :edthumbs: . I would like to hear all of Vans stuff given the audiophile treatment.

10. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

What's wrong with the MFSL versions of these? :confused:

11. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Chris Montez? Inform.

12. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Man, didn't know they got the MFSL treatment. Thanks for the catch!

Two quick substitutes:

Sings Soul Ballads: Otis Redding
    Astral Weeks: Van Morrison

13. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member Thread Starter

If they'd just release it on vinyl I'd be happy. All of these suggestions look great so far!

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I love Chris Montez. None of his A&M albums are out there. That's my honey Erin Gray on the album cover with Chris and the clocks.

Some of these masters sound amazing; I'd pay a bunch to get these on a good sounding reissue..

John Porcellino likes this.
  15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'd love to see:

The Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow - Give me a Hoffman-mastered SACD of this and I'll die happy :love:

The Who My Generation - I know there was the Classic LP, but I wanna see those tapes on (SA)CD dammit! Preferably with all possible bonus tracks too... :agree:

The Kinks Village Green Preservation Society - Surely this album can sound better than what Castle/Sanctuary can do... :cry:

16. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Yikes, Erin Gray, you ain't lyin...pick em: Chris Montez or Gil Gerard?

As Mel Blanc, the voice of Twiki often said: Beedie beedie beedie!

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Dana Gillespie - Weren't Born a Man. RCA.

[​IMG]

This legendary British blues singer came up with this somewhat off-beat, very trippy album in 1973. Some tracks produced by Mick Ronson and David Bowie - she was produced by MainMan at the time. Rick Wakeman plays piano on a couple of tracks, and there is Bobby Keyes on sax (played with The Stones, on "Ringo", with Warren Zevon etc.)

Songs are all by Dana Gillespie except for "Stardom Road" and a nice version of "Andy Warhol". She also sings "Backed a Loser", which some think is a Bowie song.

This album has great sound and wonderful presence. The songs are very personal and speak of universal themes in a somewhat psychedelic manner.

This was my favourite female vocal album in the '70s. It's never been on CD.

18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Classic Rock will be duly covered by others expert in the genre so I'll ramble on pre-rock classic pop. I'd probably enjoy Chris Montez. There's a lot of nice stuff on A&M yet to get a really fine reissue.

There's lots of my fav of course, Nat. Gotta cover Nat :D It's less urgent for most of it since Bear Family snagged the deal for those boxes; most of his except 1949-1954 can be had in listenable form. But huge boxes aren't for everyone and besides, a lot could still benefit from audiophile ears and care.

album07.jpg

The "lost album" Night Lights issued in 2001 is only on a lousy Norberg no-noised, tubby "mono"-ish CD, never was on vinyl. That might be a neat 2-LP project, or best cuts on a single LP. Maybe sounding something like it would have if it were released in 1956, or better. Black Capitol labels like Pure Pleasure did? It'd make the project so much more authentic. If not there are others that'd be nice. Nat's lesser-known ballad LPs The Touch of Your Lips (1960) and To Whom It May Concern (1958) seem to promise particularly sweet sound with the right handling. So may St. Louis Blues (1958). There'd be the old double edged sword thing there: lesser known so maybe cheaper to license, but goodness knows if they'd sell what's needed. Steve getting to finish the Cole/Jenkins trio with Where Did Everyone Go, do the rest of Lets Face The Music, get an edition of Sings for Two in Love released, all would be a real pleasure.

Also in classic pop vein, Louis Armstrong & Bing Crosby's 1960 LP. Crosby's Fancy Meeting You Here Living Stereo LP. A Blossom Dearie LP - whichever Always True To You In My Fashion is on, stereo from 1958 iirc... but Verve's CD may be ok, haven't heard it. Could go on. Lots of sweet sounding stuff from back then which seldom get sympathetic reissues.

I'm happy I don't have to add Jim Croce to my "better edition wanted" list. I thank Steve for his work on the Jim Croce CDs I have, they're nice and it's really appreciated.

19. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I think Pink Floyd have been fairly lucky as far as audiophiles go. I`d like to see WYWH on Mobile Fidelity though. That would be awesome. I`d also like Rhino editions of Yesshows and Yessongs. I`d also like a MF of Close To The Edge.

Others bands I`d like to see get some quality treatment are Rush, Genesis (on the way I guess!), Tangerine Dream, Supertramp, Cocteau Twins - the list is pretty endless.

Regards

20. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

OH! I didn't know that was her. Very nice. :agree:

If I come across his albums, I'll have to buy and take a serious listen. In fact... is he on that A&M compilation album that often pops up at thrift stores? If so, he may have a song on there.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Sinatra/Capitol!!! All of it!

Actually, I think the proper issues should actually come from Capitol if possible, replacing the disgraceful stuff currently in print, with Steve doing the honors...

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I could list a lot of stuff, but it wouldn't make any difference. What I would suggest wouldn't be of much interest to the average audiophile, and probably wouldn't sell many copies.

23. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

There's tons of stuff that needs to be redone. Not to mention almost every title from the last 20 years could be done better. Most of it's maximized garbage. A re-mastering engineers dream come true.

24. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I know many around here aren't crazy about it, but wasn't a deluxe sacd of "My Generation" (with bonus tracks) released at the same time the deluxe LP was? I have the 2 LP set and like it for the bonus tracks.

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The Roots - Do You Want More?!!!??!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.