Bowie's mix of Raw Power

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Am I right in thinking the original mix of Raw Power was never issued on CD? Or if it was, anyone know the label and cat. no?

Tim

2. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

It was originally released on CD by Columbia in 1990, catalog number 32111

3. onlyconnect

Very helpful, thanks. One to look out for!

Tim

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

The original mix of Raw Power under the direction of Bowie, in my opinion, is not good. I bought it originally on vinyl some years ago, and although I loved the album, couldn't get around the poor sound quality. The remastering of the album, completed a number of years ago with Iggy's input, is superior. Some don't think so but I do.

5. glea

glea Forum Resident

Deniz Tek told me they hated the Bowie mix, but after hearing the remix, decided the original was great! I think the original is a drug crazed effort... It has a certain charm. The remix is good, a "real mix" sort of. Great to hear all the details. Two different animals.

6. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I like the fact that you can actually hear the bass on the remix.

7. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i might like the remix if i were able to listen to one song on it all the way through.

8. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

My guess is that Bowie's approach was inspired by Lou Reed's mix of "I Heard Her Call My Name." In comparison, Iggy's remix sounds pretty much like commercial heavy metal, with most of the original's ferocity lost as a result.

My preference for the Bowie mix couldn't be stronger :thumbsup:. It's by far my most listened to record of all time.

9. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I, like most, never really liked the Bowie mix. I love the songs and Iggy though. So I was excited to see he re-did the album, but was disappointed with the results. So freaking hot. It is nice to hear the bass and drums more, but hard to get through.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you read the liner notes, it's pretty clear what Iggy was shooting for. The hot bass and drum sound is what he wanted, I guess, and from my perspective, the artist is always right. The Bowie mix should be preserved imho, as it is the historically correct mix. I actually prefer the Bowie mix, but if you want to disturb the neighbors (or you wife and kids, in my case) the Iggy mix is better.

11. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

..............That sums it up perfectly! And since I am no fan of commercial heavy metal, the Bowie version of Raw Power is my pick! It searches to destroy!

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Are you a fan of un-commercial heavy metal?

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

............I think I understood the specific sound the poster was referring to . But to answer your question....uh....no. Unless you count the MC5, Detroit,SRC,Blue Oyster Cult(well maybe the last) but I am a fan of the Stooges!

14. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Iggy told "Trouser Press" in 1981 that Bowie remixed all tracks but "Search and Destroy" on the original release. Iggy loved the song and thought it should be released as it stood, with a lot of treble. That's why "Search and Destroy" has more treble than the others on the original mix. And that's also why this is the track that suffers the most from Iggy's remix.

15. psubliminal

psubliminal Senior Member

I had both versions on CD, and couldn't get rid of the Iggy remix fast enough. I listen to a needledrop of the UK vinyl on CBS when I want to hear this album. It sounds better than the Columbia vinyl, IMHO.

16. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Everyone has mixed feelings about Iggy's remix, but I think it's cool that he was able to do it himself and not some 3rd party. Good or bad, that's how he wanted it to sound.

17. onlyconnect

Well if anyone has the Bowie mix CD and wants to get rid, please let me know :)

Tim

18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Is the artist always right in these matters? If something has been released one way, but the artist changes it (saying "This is the way =I've= always wanted it to sound") and you the audience member thinks "Surely you didn't always want it to sound like crap", who is "right"?

19. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Better or not, the remaster gave me a headache every time I tried to listen to it. Ended up dumping it and getting the Bowie-mix original.

20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Just give me a mix that sounds like Fun House. :D

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That's how he wanted it to sound almost 30 years after the fact. I'd argue he has the right to master his newest work the way he wants it to sound, but not his classic material. The original was what influenced two decades of other music.

If he HAS to change his own work, the LEAST he can do is offer BOTH versions so the listener can make their own decision (we are talking about a 30 minute album, right? Both would EASILY fit on the same disc).

As it stands, I make my decision to only own the original mix. If I have to lose sleep due to the guilt of knowing that I'm not listening to the album the way Iggy NOW wants it, well then, I'll just have to live with the lost sleep.

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm so glad I managed to snap up a copy of the original CD brand new last year. I should have bought the whole rack the guy had! :cry:

23. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Iggy's initial rough mix - pre-Bowie - was released on Bomp as Rough Power. If this discussion interests you it's well worth checking out.

24. onlyconnect

I have ordered a 2/h Austrian copy; it was quite a struggle.

Tim

25. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, and that is crap. I have it. Bomp has released some real duds over the years. Along with some cool stuff, I'll admit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.