Your single most valuable vinyl LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JMT, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Led Zeppelin II white label promo RL cut in M-/VG+ condition.
    Tool Ænema original press played once M-
    AC/DC Let There Be Rock original Aussie in M-
    Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers UK original "big-zipper" M-; no zipper damage. M-. Plays Mint, no noise.
    Iggy And The Stooges Raw Power first press in shrink; M-. Plays Mint.

Not only are they valuable from a collector standpoint, but I already loved the music, and it was a b1tch to find them all in that condition. The payoff in finding them adds to the experience.

2. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Yeah, it seems like it took the longest for LPs to die in Germany. They Might Be Giants' Apollo 18 (another 1992 release) was also only released on vinyl there as well.
    I'm sure that Lips album will eventually be re-issued, though. TMBG? Probably not. :(

3. progmog

progmog Senior Member

'Swaddling Songs' by Mellow Candle. A near-mint original which took me forever to track down.

Easily the most valuable LP in my collection, but which means so much more to me because it is one of my all-time favourite records.

Attached Files:

4. analog_blues

analog_blues New Member

:righton:

5. analog_blues

analog_blues New Member

EXTREMELY jealous!! I've been eyeing a couple on eBay lately, but haven't pulled the trigger. I have a Speaker's Corner reissue which sounds fantastic, hence my hesitation on buying an original. But Muddy Waters is one of my favorite artists of ALL time, and then there's always the chance that an original will sonically beat my reissue.

Jrr likes this.
  6. GKH

GKH Senior Member

My Atlantic pressing of "In The Court Of The Crimson King", I suppose.

7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Very, very nice. Lp and music. One of my faves of the "Acid Folk" genre. My remastered 2008 issue Esoteric2044 CD will have to do for now. Doubt i'll ever get a chance at an original. :cry:

8. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

First UK pressing of Bark Psychosis - Hex that I got recently.:)

9. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

Most valuable, first ones that spring to mind: original Love Buzz by Nirvana, the LP Björk released as a 12 year old, White Album UK mono complete, all private Guided by Voices LP's including Propeller (my copy was shown by their manager in the GbV documentary...!), Philosophy Of the World by The Shaggs (original), gold/black Please Please Me (although no stereo but mono), private pressing of Monster Movie by The Can...etc.

10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Mine would have to be a Led Zeppelin triple picture disc bootleg set of a show recorded in Osaka, 9/29/71 (I believe one side is interviews) and I believe only like 250 of this vinyl set was pressed. I just saw a guy on eBay trying to sell the same set for $600.00. I was given the set (along with some other Zep vinyl boots) by a friend who no longer had a turntable and he wanted these vinyl boots to go to a good home.

11. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Either my stereo butcher cover or The Kinks Village Green WLP on Reprise. Probably the butcher cover. If I have anything else of value I really wouldn't know. :)

Aftermath likes this.
  12. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I've been really lucky in my years of collecting: A 3rd state Butcher (not too bad a peel job) for .25 cents, A purple and brown Led Zep I for $12, Not one, but 2 Silver Apples on Kapp, A stereo and Mono 1st press KOB, Stereo and Mono 1st press Time Out (w/o the including take five on the cover), and a 1st press mono Somethin' else. All of these have been thrift store finds, so the record gods have been mighty nice!

Aftermath likes this.
  13. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Nirvana - Bleach. Original Sub Pop white vinyl, only 1000 pressed.

14. This one is special to me.

Recorded in Europe, Made in USA, mono London FFRR with ear.

Attached Files:

vonwegen and Aftermath like this.
  15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

They're pretty good - I just listened to them for the first time! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bx6Q8uLfQ

I don't think it's really rare but I'd have to say my choice would be Sally Oldfield, Water Bearer.

16. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

When I was 10 yrs old I started buying mono Beatle albums. I didn't have a stereo. I didn't have a record player of any kind. I never opened the albums. I usually bought them on the release day. They are still unopened & I would never part with them. These are my most valuable records both in value & sentimentality.

Quark and Aftermath like this.
  17. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident

All original 1st pressing Mono Beatles LPs in shrink
    Sealed original Mono "Meet The Beatles"
    US numbered White Album (under #1650--don't want to dig it out at the moment to see exactly what number)
    Every US MINT Beatles picture sleeve including "Can't Buy Me Love"
    12 Butcher Covers

18. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have that too! And mine's signed by Ron Asheton! :cheers:

19. izaboo

izaboo Forum Resident

I've a couple that are both valuable and of sentimental value - there's the Springsteen Script Cover Born To Run, nearly complete - I have the gatefold sleeve, test pressing, lyric reprints and card insert - missing the letter and the envelope. I've an original test pressing for Big Star's Third - priceless really. And I've got a very cool Fairport Convention test pressing for "A Moveable Feast," US A&M test with someone (likely a marketing person at the time) writing all over the jacket various slogans to be used in the ad campaign for the album. In the same family, I have an original test pressing for "The Bunch" album sitting right next to the original with the flexi on the cover too. Lots of original sealed vinyl (dating back to the '50s), lots of test pressings, lots of weird and rare records, but those four/five are truly my favorites.

20. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

I remember buying the hit to death in the future head, through the german record clud soundhouse in the early/mid 90's for 11 deutsch mark, my sister bought it too.
    I bought an awful lot of crazy things there, slowdive, red house painters, bark psychosis
    etc.

21. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I'm not sure I understand the sentimentality of this.... music is to be enjoyed IMO, not to be collected as a valued commodity.
    But hey, that's my take... each to their own. :)

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This is both the most impressive and disturbing post so far. Seems like a win/lose to me. Still... pretty cool :sigh:

23. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Nimbus Supercut. Rare. Great sounding. Iconic LP.

-DLedin

24. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

More Beatles

Original book club record, but beware of counterfeits with hand etched numbers in the inner groove.

Attached Files:

25. Mr. Fantasy

Mr. Fantasy New Member

Hey, I get it. Some are collectors as well as listeners, I fall into that catagory. Anything I have sealed, I have another copy of that I listen to. My kids can pop the seal after I'm gone:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.