Your single most valuable vinyl LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JMT, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shopkeeper

shopkeeper New Member

Nick Lowe So it goes

Not the rarest record I own but the sense of history surrounding it makes it quite special......Nick Lowe Acetate.

Attached Files:

kevinfree and vonwegen like this.
  2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

3. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

Amon Duul II - Tanz Der Lemminge, original German Liberty records pressing with laminated sleeve. I got it while I worked at a Salvation Army Thrift Store. With my employee discount it was only 49 cents. At the time I got it I had no clue about it's value or even what Amon Duul II sounded like. I only picked it up at the time because I recognized the cover from the book the Album Cover Album.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper mono and Magical Mystery Tour mono with the booklet insert both in good condition, especially Magical Mystery Tour. I got those both the same day at a Value Village for $2.99 each.

A mono copy of Frank Zappa and the Mothers' Freakout I got for half the price I usually saw one sell for, $50 instead of $100.

An original Canadian pressing of the Stooges' Funhouse and the mono copy of Manferd Mann Soul of Mann my dad gave me.

4. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:cheers:

I was arrrgghhing because, back in the early 80's, there was a tiny, little, local record store, in my little hometown, that was having a 'going out of business sale'.

And I held that very same version in my hands, I even remember the one-sided 'Submission' single. Why they had this import copy, years after it had come out domestically was a mystery.

So I brought it up to the register, to buy it, I think it was only $4.99 or $5.99, and then I figured, well, I already have the US WB edition, and that version had 'Submission' on it. Sooo..... I put it back in the bin..., and I'll save 5 or 6 bucks!!!!:cry:

6. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Introducing The Beatles. Vee Jay VJLP-1062 (mono). It's genuine. Paid $3 at a yard sale in St. Clair Shores, MI in the mid-90's. VG vinyl, VG+ jacket.

Version one with "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You". Column back cover.

Disc is an ARP (Owosso, MI) pressing with oval logo and centered titles (ref. VJ1062 (1).MR1A, Spizer). Looks like this one:

Attached Files:

7. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Mine include several assorted Elvis Costello rarities, a copy of Tom Waits' "Bone Machine," a rainbow/black label pressing of the s/t brown album by The Band & an original white label promo of "Oar." Not the best showing, I know, but all pretty rare & I love 'em.

8. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

QUOTE;Original Aqualung...bad sound quality and all!

Is the Reprise version considered inferior to the Chrysalis by that much ?

9. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

I have a UK first pressing of the Born To Run album which is signed by Bruce, all the E St Band, David Sancious, Boom Carter, Mike Appell, Eric Meola & Jon Landau.

As it's the version with Landau's name spelt wrong, he has thoughtfully signed it "Jo(h)n Landau", the scamp...

vonwegen likes this.
  10. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

That is awesome !!! :edthumbs:

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Pink Floyd UK Columbia, Piper At The Gates of Dawn album in Mono and Stereo first presses, both mint. Maybe not the most valuable Lps in my collection, but the most I've ever spent, about $400 each, on single LPs.

12. Would love to hear the story behind this one.

Best Wishes
    David

13. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

Anything special besides the history of the song/record itself?

I have a bunch of acetates,technically,they're called "lacquers",I bought over the years.The ones I can think of now,without digging through my records are:

-Marmalade "Reflections of My Life",US pressed by Bell,bought at a record show for $7.00.I think I was the first one to play it.
    -Gorillaz 19-2000 UK 12" single from Townhouse.I bought this new off eil.com,for a price in Pounds of $72.00 and change.There is another one of "Clint Eastwood",or"Tomorrow Comes Today",I've seen in an online discography,Esprit had this for sale at the same time,but I could only afford to buy one.
    -A great acetate/lacquer of an unidentified female Northern Soul singer,circa '68/'69,unidentified,and uncomped,about VG.

If you bought from Ars Antiqua's old "Rarissima" lists,where Dave got rid of used books,office equipment,and whatever other assorted junk he had lying around,you know he also sold some very choice classical test pressings,and lacquers.I bought a bunch of early Columbia test pressing Lps (Serkin,Szell, Weingartner,Budapest String Quartet),and a Dutch HMV Koussevitsky,at $5-12 each,but I also bought two very choice acetates/lacquers.

-A set of 10" (RCA) Radio Recorders Lp lacquers,dated 1942,of a Koussevitsky recording of the Howard Hanson "Romantic" Symphony.$37.00,pricey for these lists.I'm not expert enough to tell if this is a different take than the one released.
    -A 1961 or '62,dated,need to dig it out,stereo Capitol lacquer of Yehudi Menhuin doing Michael Tippett.I have no idea who is conductor here.It may be unissued.Perhaps my favorite classical record in my collection.I would love to know more about it,and if unissued,maybe have someone put it out on a CD.

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I had two of those, 10" acetates that play at 45rpm. One is the LP version, the other is edited (cuts out the instrumental break). Both say "London Records" and "stereo" on the typewritten label, but play in rechanneled stereo (bass/treble filtered). The edit had "short version" handwritten on it. Wish I knew what I did with them!

15. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

Oh yeah,the Menhuin was $10.00

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Not sure. I have a Lightnin' Hopkins ("History of Jazz" Joker pressing) and a Long John Baldry "It Ain't Easy" that may be the most "valuable".

17. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

For the sweet memories it evokes and what I see it go for on eBay - Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left UK Island first press pink label...

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My original Electric Ladyland nude cover on Track is perhaps my most valuable (in personal terms).

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Most precious to me:
    Gene Clark, With the Gosdin Brothers, mono orig.

20. realdiel

realdiel Forum Resident

Not sure what it's worth - Chicago - Live in Japan

Attached Files:

• chi.jpg
      chi.jpg
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
  21. shakehurst

shakehurst Member

probably the rarest in my collection:

Phil Ochs - The War Is Over b/w The Harder They Fall - test pressing

[​IMG]

b-side label is blank

22. Mr. Fantasy

Mr. Fantasy New Member

My most valuable, well to me, is Electric Hendrix-Jimi Hendrix. Took me YEARS to find a copy.

23. shakehurst

shakehurst Member

ah, just realized this thread was for LPs, my bad!

24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    NM- Original STEREO pressing. Friendly with the Ma 'n Pa store owner. He let me have it for $40 off the wall behind the front counter. I'm sure it'd go for over a ton on ebay. Not selling. Sounds amazing!

vonwegen likes this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Probably the UK pressing of London Calling I got (and couldn’t really afford) when I rode my bike down to a record shop in Noe Valley, San Francisco as soon as the import version got off the boat — mainly valuable because of the borrowed, long-distance heroism and heart it gave me at a turning point in my life, along with the elation and confidence that the days of great, worldbeating albums were not yet over. That and my UK 45 (I know, cheating) of Complete Control. Pure snarling, ironic, supercharged adrenaline. Music to get you out the door and making trouble.

vonwegen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.