Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Is there any way to send the tapes to the band for a 'Benefit' special edition? :agree:

:thumbsup:

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That is on the above mentioned album, though he probably played it that way most nights. The live side contains only that and the Sossity/Reasons for Waiting medley (other side is the UK singles that were hard to get at the time). Sound quality is excellent, though the version I have is mastered too slow.

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Hmm! Not sure how I'd go about that. These were recorded by my friend and audio partner, who did the sound for that show. I'd have to get his permission, but I can't see anything else we could do with these.

There is surely no money in it.

We'd also have to go back and remaster them. My God is fine but there is some weird scrape flutter noise that creeps into a few songs that I'm pretty sure is not on the master. We converted over 100 miscellaneous reels a few years ago and didn't listen to every second, so obviously missed some of these issues. He has gone back to a few with this problem and was able to deal with it.

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Ian also introduced John Evan, as the newest member of the band after My God, before With You There To Help Me. He mentioned he was a pharmacy student, which was all about drugs, though that may have been standard as well. What a horrible piano sound. It almost sounds like a small upright piano with a mic stuffed in it. Plenty of guitar in this one.

5. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident

Hello Doug,
    the best thing to do with this recording is to transfer the reel again to see if you can fix some of the problems and then upload in lossless form to the dimeadozen.org website for others to download.
    I'm sure there are regular uploaders to dimeadozen on here who could help you out.

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

How I wish in the end your tapes will be used. It would be a work of love :agree:

Remember that some time to time bands do use tapes and material donated by fans. King Crimson used a mono vinyl needledropped on ITCOCK. All the Genesis visual material on the 3 boxes came from fansites. Even The Beatles used a vinyl copy for Love Me Do single version

:edthumbs:

8. tootull

9. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I've heard some awful TAAB tour audience tapes, and the only relatively decent ones I've heard are 3 sides from Scope, Norfolk VA Apr 72, but the show is incomplete;

1)TAAB part 1
    2)Mary>New Day Yesterday>Aqualung
    3)Wind Up>jam>Hard Headed English General?>Wind Up

It might make a single nifty cd disc, but audiophiles would be outraged.

Though Ian was too tight to pay for professional recording of the tour, I find it extremely hard to believe that a 2 track soundboard cassette or reel wasn't made by somebody somewhere along the tour.

I believe I've heard that TAAB was written, recorded and assembled on a daily basis, so there'd have to be some outtakes (a la Chateau D'Isaster tapes) or demos from the era which any Tull-phile would find interesting.

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, the 25th Anniversary CD had the complete newspaper.

11. tootull

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are some pretty nice ones around of the full show - LA Forum from summer 72, and a few from Germany in early 73.

Re the last paragraph, that is what Ian said - however, the Ministry Of Information claims the album may have been recorded in two installements, in August and December 71. IMO the sound quality is consistent enough that I think it's more likely they recorded it all at once, but it is true that they played a part of TAAB (the Poet And The Painter/I've Come Down From The Upper Class mid side one sequence) live in late 71 and early 72, before playing the whole thing starting March 72.

13. tootull

Thick as a Brick. Good to celebrate this one! I get crazy when I think of this in 5.1.

A stroll through the Thick pages:
    http://www.orthogonal.com.au/collections/taab/full/brick01.htm

LATER.
    I've come down from the upper class to mend your rotten ways.
    My father was a man-of-power whom everyone obeyed.
    So come on all you criminals! I've got to put you straight
    just like I did with my old man - twenty years too late.
    Your bread and water's going cold.
    Your hair is short and neat.
    I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me.

- Ian Anderson

14. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I'm digging TAAB after a 30-year hiatus.
    Particularly enjoy the acoustic passages throughout.

Since I like these, what other Tull albums (besides Aqualung and War Child, which I have) would you recommend for me? feel free to answer via PM so as to not threadjack here...

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I just love THICK AS A BRICK and am fortunate enough to be old enough to have bought the LP when it came out, which I no longer have, unfortunately, but I did buy (and still own) the MOFI gold CD, which is pretty durn nice.

16. tootull

My MoFi gold:
    [​IMG]

17. tootull

Tear away at the meat of the lineup, hear some choice cuts here.
    Stand Up (1969)
    Benefit (1970)
    A Passion Play (1973)
    My first choice is for Minstrel in the Gallery (1975) enjoy the acoustic passages throughout

[​IMG]

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh yeah ... Love MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY ...

19. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Definitely go for Minstrel In The Gallery....

Then Heavy Horses, Stormwatch, Songs From The Wood...

20. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks, gentlemen. Good copies of at least two of those on vinyl nearby.

If there are no extra finished tracks to put on a 40th SE, how about a program where you can isolate instrument tracks on the finished songs, a la Rock Band?

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Hi all! :wave:

There're 2 threads (yes, 2 already!) covering the TAAB 2, but is there any info about 40th anniversary edition?

Really, not interested at all in a sequel

:agree:

Steve Wilson posted this on his facebook:
    I also completed mixes for a 40th anniversary surround sound edition of the original Thick as a Brick, though not sure when that is coming out.

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I wonder if SW is doing a stereo mix as well as the surround. And I'm curious as to whether this will get the deluxe edition treatment with a BD, CD, LP, etc.

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I read some interesting snippets about upcoming IA/JT activity, but with so many different Tull threads, I wasn't sure where exactly to post this. In a recent interview, Ian Anderson said that they would likely do a special edition for A Passion Play with Wilson as well. Here's what I gleaned from Progressive Ears:

Okay, I just came off the phone after 70 minutes with Anderson - the guy just can't shut up!

Lots of interesting stuff there. Some snippets:

1) The absence of Barre from the album and tour is a mutual thing. It wasn't Barre's favourite period, and he wanted to take a break to do his own stuff. It's a solo project mainly because apart from him the line-up has no connection to the original, so to label it as Tull would be disingenuous

2) He absolutely refutes the allegations of his voice being shot. Apart from natural age deterioration, he is adamant that his performane on TAAB2 will be as good as any he's done, and he will definitely be singing the original TAAB in the original key when performed live.

3) If he were to choose one album he thinks of most fondly for whatever reason, it would be Stand Up, as it represented the significant step from the blues-based This Was to his own vision. On the converse, if he could erase one album from history, it would be A Passion Play. Not because it's dreadful, but because he just got too obsessive with it, and lost his objective artistic and compositional radar

4) He gets on well with every ex-Tull member, but if certain ex members were left in a room with each other, he fears there would be 'at least one death'. No names mentioned...

5) There WILL be a 40th Anniversary Passion Play, done by Steven Wilson. And he thinks he might well ask him to do an additional complete overhaul of it, losing certain instruments entirely.

6) His biggest musical regret is in the mid-70s briefly believing he liked the saxophone. He was cured of the delusion forever after War Child.

The full feature will be published in the April issue of the Classic Rock Society magazine 'Rock Society'. It will be lengthy...

24. tootull

25. tootull

Nice summary. Thanks!

Ian loves 24bit.
    EMI wants vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.