Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

2. Listening with headphones it does actually sound fairly different to me. Flute panned hard right at the beginning. Drums are much more isloated. Better 3D soundstage. Guitar more prominant during some parts. That was just a quick listen though.

3. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

They changed a couple of very small elements (chimes aforementioned, and a small castinet flourish around 19 minutes into Side One) that bother my nerd senses but I'll get over them.

I'd gladly sacrifice a couple mistakes for a surround mix. :)

4. Back down to $34.99 at Amazon.ca

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Listening @ headphones :wave:

Steven (as usual) did keep the original feel of the mix, but there's a much more 3D musical presentation. Drums sound specially better. I can hear more bass than the anniversary version. Some guitars here and there that I never heard before, etc. Everything's clearer

:cheers:

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

7. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear the 5.1 version. It should be phenomenal!

8. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I listened again in the car to the higher quality stream. Very cool. The drums are awesome, I was sitting just in awe of the cymbals.

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

cool,

1. what the new things on the remix? or the changes? why they remixed? why they dont let like is and improve the sound and that is, the true I hate remixes.

2. "The celebrated St Cleve Chronicle newspaper is replicated in a durable near-newsprint format within a 104-page hardback book, along with the 2012 TAAB2 newspaper. The book also contains an article by Prog’s Dom Lawson, rare photos from photographers Didi Zill and Robert Ellis, recording and touring mementos and much more."

question the vinyl comes with the newspaper too? like 1st pressing... ? or just the CDs

10. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Very Exciting!!!

Barriemore Barlow has always been one of my favorite drummers ever since I first heard Thick as a Brick when I was a teenager. I can't wait to hear the remix when it arrives.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Steve Wilson did such a wonderful job on Aqualung. I'm really looking forward to the two lp set.

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

by the way, why they dont see just the vinyl of aqualung!!! I dont want the whole expensive set $138!!! I want just the vinyl! :goodie:

13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Same here. However I've never seen anything more erratic than the pricing on this vinyl. Next week is (hopefully) the arrival week.

14. jangast

jangast Forum Resident

Two Segments instead of eight: yes, better quality: no, both streams are 128 KBit, but sound surprisingly great.
    JG

15. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Hope they will do it too!!!

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Got the 2 CD/DVD set today... the boxset (100 pages) is awesome. The sound is just amazing... the remix blows away the Mofi!!!

17. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Considering the MFSL has the original mix I would assume this would be the case.:confused:

18. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Got the Vinyl Box today:D

Two 180gr. pressings with a hardcover-book.

Good pressing quality so far after one listening!

The new mastering of TAB 1 is awesome:righton:

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wow good news! thanks

I waiting for mine... so the vinyl sounds great? more info... quiet? on both tab 1 and tab 2?

have the complete newspaper like the original?

20. kingofstoneage

Yes, both Vinyls sound great!

For the pressings i would give a 2+ because they aren't perfect quiet.

But you will enjoy them!:righton:

I haven't heard these albums this good, even TAB 2 sounds amazing on Vinyl!

Only one thing to complain: the innersleves suck ....:realmad:

21. kingofstoneage

Oh i forgot, the book includes the complete artwork of TAB 1 and 2:edthumbs:

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

:righton: great

and by the way, anybody can tell whats the difference in remix? or is the same than the original, I dont get it...

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Steven approach is to remix albums keeping the integrity and feel of the original mixes, the era they were made, etc :wave:

:cheers:

24. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

From what I heard, the whole album, of the stream if you are a fan of Barrie's work o man this one is a must.
    This was a record that I believe a very suitable recording already existed of, including the original. But this guy does do exceptional work, not as telling as with Aqualung, but still noticeable indeed.
    I have always considered the final 17 minutes of side 2 to be Tull's singular golden moment among many contenders. Possibly because of a favoritism toward that section I find the remix to be particularly benefiting those minutes, with the final five minutes having me stomping my feet, a reaction I don't know if I have ever had to TAAB, considering it mostly a listening experience.

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

that sounds good, I want the aqualung!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.