Led Zeppelin "holy grail" target cd dream come true!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Incredible find! Congrats!!!

Now... are you going to keep it... or sell it on eBay???

2. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Wow! Nice disc!

3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Does it sound any different than any other original issue CD? Same Diament mastering, right? I'm personally not a collector that gets excited about various issues, it's the sound that matters to me... but I'm happy for you. :righton:

4. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville Thread Starter

I'm keeping it! :)

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Same Joe Sidore mastering (not Diament), but very rare and people pay very high amounts on EBay for copies.

I know what I would do if I was lucky enough to find one (it will never happen so the point is moot) :).

6. steeler1979

It's the same mastering as the standard pre-remaster but was mastered by Joe Sidore not Barry D.

George P likes this.
  7. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

Happy for you :) a wonderful find especially at that price :)

8. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Good choice! I have owned one since I bought it new, hanging from a blister pack at The Federated Group in Santa Ana in late 1983. I think I paid $25.00 for it new. I have not been seriously tempted to sell it, despite the financial opportunity this disc presents. Don't play it in the car though.... :D

9. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Incredible! Well done!

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

RTurner - does the target that you purchased have the 19129 number? I assume that it does.

11. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Yes indeed. And it says 'Manufactured by CBS/Sony Records Inc.' in the clear plastic inner circle.

12. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

RTurner, are you sure it was in a blister pack? It wasn't the cardboard type?

13. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Yep - definitely blister pack, but it wasn't sealed like some of the domestic releases. Either the distributor or the Federated store put it in the folding blister pack and closed it at the top with a staple. They used to do that in the early days, especially with imports. :cool:

14. houston

houston Forum Resident

you mentioned it was on the shelf one minute, and you grabbed it...how did you know it was going to be placed on the shelf, did you know the store already had it? we need an explanation...and BTW, go ahead and mail the cd to me, and I will examine it, and authenticate it for you, then mail it back to you in a few years

15. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I was all over these new digital discs called cds from the first time I saw them in Music Plus (Costa Mesa 17th St. near Harbor). I bought Rush - Moving Pictures in October 1983 and brought it to work to show the world what the future was going to be. I passed on a green label West German Rush - Signals I remember seeing around that time (arrgghh - I bought the atomic label of that title, which I later sold when the remaster came out). I remember Toto IV and Billy Joel - 52nd St. in the first batch i ever saw at that Music Plus. In the early cd days of The Compact Disc Group, there usually was a small stock of the few available cds in the hardware stores like Federated. The Zep cd was in its' blister pack hanging from a hook on the wall, just above one of the shelves. I was attending Golden West College in Huntington Beach (Westminster) during this time, and I got many wonderful import cds from a place nearby on Golden West called Verne's Magnavox. I bought black-face Pink Floyd - The Wall and most of the German mo-fi- mastered true stereo Rolling Stones cds from that store. At least I kept the Zep and Stones discs - most of the others are a distant memory, including targets, 2-track Wish You Were Here and many red-faced Polydors.
    Live and learn. :righton:

16. steeler1979

I always browse the budget section looking for bargains. The clerk was in the process of restocking the bargain product on the shelves. She even rudely told me that I should get out of her way until she was finished (another reason I don't want to reveal the location of the place). I spend thousands there every year and for about 5 seconds wanted to snap back at her, but I didn't. I've been the overworked, underpaid retail loser clerk at a dead end job before, so I can empathize. No problem, I just waited and went to another area of the store. About 60 seconds after she finished putting out the CDs I went to the section she just stocked and found it.

Yes and send me your address and I will get it right out! :D

p.s. if anybody mentions the store by name, I will validate it. Not sure why it's even important to know, but whatever :). So far in this thread, no one has mentioned the actual store.

17. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

That there is a beauty of a score! Congrats! :righton:

18. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Congrats! Always a thrill hearing these stories.

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Why is this specific CD sound so good?

20. steeler1979

It's the rarity of this pressing that makes it so sought after. It has the exact same mastering as the pre-remastered standard US CD.

21. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Because 'Worth upwards of $700.00' always sounds great! And sounds better than "Common used disc worth $8.00". :D
    They all have the same mastering (good, not great) but the Japan Target is ultra-rare.

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I don't get it. :shrug:

23. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

People are nuts to pay that much for that.

24. button

button Senior Member

Very nice. Well done :)

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's the one I have. I *need* the one that steeler1979 found because I have to have both. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.