Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wave

wave Forum Resident

For people who think we're complaining too much, I'd be willing to bet that there's a remarkable improvement in the next Concord re-issue (September) as a result of this extensive tirade.

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Ironically the industry is responsible for that. People, used to inferior vinyl playback, radio static and hissy tape etc, never cared about that until basically advised by the industry to listen for it; promotional copy seeking to justify the then-premium-priced CD to the wary public in the early days made a point of its lack of "hiss" and noises as a key indicator of its superior quality. Then that "information" circulated around some of the public with the usual effects. No surprise if some took it to mean that if you heard noise the disc was inferior or defective and they should get their money back. But they're few and it is believed most folks simply didn't and don't care about sound as audiophiles are constantly reminded; for most it would be better for their involvement and thus possible further sales to present the greater musical vitality of sound. Since noise reduction and such processing compromises that vitality of sound, that line of logic does seem to indicate that it is preferable not to use it on professional recordings of music.

McLover likes this.
  3. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Can we talk about the cover of Sinatra/Jobim?

I did not realize that in essence this cover was, to borrow a modern phrase, photo-shopped. Is or was there a logic behind FS leaning against a bus...then moving said bus into the jungle?

As the first FAS/ACJ album cover reeks class, the 1969 cover simply reeks.

CBackley likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You do realize that's not the cover of the new release? This image disappeared with the old thread, but it's very classy:
    FAS-ACJ_cover.jpg

5. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

No...the original, planned 1969 release.

The new cover is beyond incredible.

I first saw the 1969 cover in the book "The Sinatra Treasures" and thought it odd but didn't know much of the backstory.

CBackley likes this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I doubt that would have anything to do with it. I'll bet they are already mixed, remastered, pressed, packaged and ready for the release date.

7. wave

wave Forum Resident

I was looking at the untouched photo yesterday and wondered how that picture even came about. "Hey Frank, let's get one of you behind this Greyhound we got parked out here...oh don't worry about this guy walking by, we'll crop him out and throw in some...rainforest or something." Maybe the scenery was supposed to suggest Brazil, but the bus?

(Actually I like that cover -- just can't figure it out.)

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Poster-size worthy for framing.

9. wave

wave Forum Resident

Bob, I think you might know this. Was the bus shot a part of the same Ed Thrasher photo shoot used for the My Way cover?

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it's safe to say that they just don't care what a small percentage of buyers think.

If you really want to make your voice heard, return your copy of the CD to where you bought it, and then write a snail-mail letter to them explaining why you did so.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Opinions vary, of course. Having said that, this reissue has, in my opinion:

•Excellent new artwork
    •Excellent (partially new) liner notes
    •Very poor EQ choices: Muddy bass, peak-y/weird high end (Bose can sell their old colloquial slogan, with a twist: "Weird highs, no lows, must be remixed Sinatra.")

It also has, in factual terms, not opinion-based terms:

•Severely folded-in stereo image
    •Missing edits
    •Severe --yes, severe -- compression
    •All 20 Sinatra/Jobim songs on one CD for the first time

The orchestra for this recording was recorded on two tracks, period. One was intended for stereo left; the other for stereo right, providing a nice sounding stereo orchestra. Frank was on a third track, panned center, as he always was. This is the classic, repeated-ad-infinitum stereo sound for vocalist with orchestra, i.e., Sinatra, Cole, Lee, Como, etc. The only "wild card" track, i.e., one that could be panned at liberty to any spot in the stereo image, was Jobim's track.

Did somebody say it was? Maybe I missed that bit.

Well, it was done in 1998 and issued on CD, remixed from 4-track, so the tapes (as pointed out earlier in the thread) existed at that time. Mr. Hoffman also did a remix (unissued) which had all the corrections made, so I see no reason to believe it "can no longer be done." It has been done -- from the 4-tracks -- at least twice in the last 12 years.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

WHAT????!!!!!!!

13. MLutthans

Well, 5 cents isn't much, and probably undetectable by just about anybody. (I've got a music degree, and I didn't notice it just by listening.) It's 1/20th of a half-step. Besides, who's to say the earlier version wasn't 5 cents flat and this one is correct??? (Yes, somebody could probably figure out which is correct, but I'm not that somebody.)

Matt

EDIT: To clarify, I was referring to the 10 original 1967 recordings, not the 1969 ones. The SINATRA & COMPANY tracks are essentially "at speed" compared to the old recordings, and the three other tracks are spot on in terms of speed. (Were it not for the obvious mix differences, I may be been led to suspect they were sourced from digital clones of the suitcase tracks' sources, those three were so locked in.)

CBackley likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. wave

wave Forum Resident

(You beat me to it, Bob!)

Looking this up at mptv images, it turns out the bus photo was taken during a 1968 rehearsal in Los Angeles for an upcoming Caesars Palace engagement. (The cover shot from My Way came from this same photo shoot with Ed Thrasher.) Considering the photo was taken a year before the 1969 Jobim sessions, it's highly unlikely that particular bus shot was meant specifically for the album and therefor have any real significance to it.

The picture was cropped to eliminate the studio lot background (and passerby). But why it was decided to combine that image with jungle scenery is unclear. Is it supposed to be a Brazilian rainforest? Even if it is, what is a bus doing in the middle of it? Weird.

Here are some pics from the '68 photo shoot, including the jungle bus:

http://www.mptvimages.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?search=sinatra%20thrasher&img=96&cat=Licensed/Non-Restricted&bool=and

16. DJ WILBUR

oh I thought you meant 5 percent...

CBackley likes this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Note that MPTV captions are notoriously inaccurate, but assuming these are correct: This would be Sinatra's first appearance at Caesars Palace, which ran from November 26 through December 19, 1968. So that would probably date these photos as November '68, about the time he was recording for CYCLES. "My Way" (the song) would not be recorded until December 30th, and the Jobim-Deodato sessions took place the following February '69.

18. MLutthans

No; only the KC3 gets that treatment, AFAIK.

19. wave

wave Forum Resident

Yeah, I just started to notice that with some of them.

I also noticed that the pictures I asked you about with Jobim wearing the white turtleneck are captioned 1969. Going by Mr. Sinatra's hairpiece, I think that date is probably accurate. (You can almost set your watch to some of Sinatra's toupees.) It's nice because I never thought there were any pictures of the '69 follow-up floating around.

From the jungle bus sessions:

Attached Files:

CBackley likes this.
  20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You know what Bob, I'm just happy to know that he stopped by and is probably at least reading about everybody's feelings on these new CONCORD reissues. I appreciate the fact that he might not be able to comment, whether or not it is his own doing or for the reasons you mentioned, but at least SOMEBODY important in the FSE food chain, is now, at the very least, listening. Larry has proven that he is capable of delivering the goods when it comes to Sinatra. I can only guess that he might not have the last word with the "sound" on these CONCORD reissues?

At any rate, I totally look forward to the "September Of My Years" disc in September. GOD knows that the "Entertainer Of The Century" version is not worthy of being used as a drink coaster. I mean, did ANYBODY actually listen to that version, before it was released?

Chris C

McLover likes this.
  21. MLutthans

22. wave

wave Forum Resident

Well said.

:righton:

23. DJ WILBUR

Nancy reads, she quoted something I personally wrote here in March on the Family forum. Matt was forced to take his audio bits down, they, are reading...

:wave: everybody...say hello...

CBackley likes this.
  24. wave

wave Forum Resident

Here's some backstory from Phill Sawyer, the guy at United who placed that on the microphone (from page 24 of the Vegas box set book):

25. MLutthans

That is a GREAT story! I've wondered about that (sorry for the language) butt-ugly windscreen for years!

By the way, Phill and I have swapped a couple of e-mails, and he seems like a great guy.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.