Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wave

wave Forum Resident

After years of searching I've only seen outtakes from the 2/1/67 session floating around...

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

you have nothing to prove, we all LOVE these sessions which is why we're so PASSIONATE in this topic.

and I LOVE your record collection. I love being humbled by a better collector than me....:help:

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've mentioned this many times before, but, hearing Sinatra working from take one to the finished accepted master take, is the real beauty of his work, in my opinion. I could listen to endless hours of him tackling these songs. Upon hearing many other REPRISE session dates in this manner, I've learned to love his catalog, all the more. It has always been a bit of a lie that Frank was always a first take performer. Sure, he didn't like to waste a lot of time on his sessions and he expected everybody to come prepared, but he almost always had to work out arrangements and do more than one take. All of this makes him much more human to me, when I can hear how he sometimes started with nothing and could end up walking away with a masterpiece. The song, "The September Of My Years" is a prime example. If you could hear the "works in session", as I have, it's quite the revelation to hear how that simple little song slowly comes to life, after many, many takes. You can even hear how Frank himself, becomes more excited about it, as it moves along. I'd love to hear all of those Sinatra/Jobim sessions that way as well, it would be a history lesson, if nothing else?

Chris C

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Many performers (Tony Bennett and the late Duke Ellington come to mind) are loathe to have any of their session material publicized. They feel/felt it as an invasion of privacy as they were creating their final published work-of-art.

With the $10 million sellout Tony got from Sony for his back catalogue it will be interesting to see if they release any session material with future-releases.

BACK TO SINATRA/JOBIM....

The session material I have heard from '67 does have some interesting twists an turns in the development of the finished product.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

"Anyone who wants/the whole show/re-me-fa-so-la-si-do/he will find himself with no show/better play the note you know...":thumbsup:

6. bmelzak

bmelzak Forum Resident

That was me.

That was me who mentioned the Joao Gilberto concert. If you don't have it try to get the Brasilian import of what is known as his "white" album. Hope you enjoy the show.

Bennett
    [email protected]

7. wave

wave Forum Resident

BTW, does anyone fill out those info-request cards that come with the Concord CDs?

I didn't fill in any information. I just wrote what a lousy CD they made and mailed it out.

CBackley likes this.
  8. DJ WILBUR

wow, you might have just started a trend...

CBackley likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it will be ignored. The main purpose of those cards is to get your address to put you on mailing lists.

10. wave

wave Forum Resident

Oh, I'm sure of that. I just needed another outlet to vent my frustration. Now it's time for some Amazon feedback...

11. DJ WILBUR

you might be starting another trend.

sad what a bus company brings out in people. Silence is not golden...

12. wave

wave Forum Resident

This thing's averaging 4 stars at Amazon. Crazy.

13. DJ WILBUR

well the music is 5 star material...i'd be hard pressed to rate it less myself cause I'd rather people hear it than not...i said it before and i'll say it again, at least its not a (nor)Burger...

Jimmy B. and CBackley like this.
  14. wave

wave Forum Resident

What I've noticed -- and maybe I'm reading too much into this -- is that some of the people who've been highly critical of the Norberg/Capitol releases seem to be astonishingly silent on these equally tragic Walsh/Concord releases. Is it because the Concord discs have some affiliation with the Sinatra family?

15. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

People were fairly reluctant with negative words about "Nothing But The Best" as well - and that album topped anything ever released by Sinatra on CD (with the old CBS CDs coming close). Not to speak of "12 Songs Of Christmas". I'm afraid we'll have a revival of this when "America, I Hear You Singing" will be released late this month or next month:(

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I personally found the British CD of "12 Songs of Christmas" to be pretty damn good as far as sound goes. I pray that "America..." will be of the same quality.

17. wave

wave Forum Resident

Keep in mind I'm not trying to encourage "bitching." When an amazing release like MoFi's Only the Lonely comes out, it's rightfully praised by any and every Sinatra fan with an ear.

We're not a negative bunch. We just want the the best for the best.

But I noticed the same silence with Nothing But the Best. Again, that release had some family affiliation because it consisted of Reprise material.

Is there fear of reprisal for speaking out against anything that isn't Capitol-related or independent of the family's contractual interests?

CBackley likes this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I was recently chatting on the phone with one of the forum members about NOTHING BUT THE BEST, and my comment was along the lines of: At first listen, it seemed ok/interesting, and as the compression and EQ choices started to annoy me, it quickly went downhill to the point that now I view it as a very poor sounding release. If you read my review of said disc, you can see that my opinion of the disc goes downhill almost track by track, until by track 19, I had suffered enough:

http://web.mac.com/mlutthans/iWeb/Site 6b/19 - All My Tomorrows.html

I agree with "Wave" that we are not a negative bunch, but when something sounds ______ (good or bad), we can call it ________.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  19. DJ WILBUR

when something looks as good as MLuthans new avatar we can call it :nauga:

nice avatar...

when something sounds bad, the bus companies that release them should comment...shame to see La___ W_____sh lurking to read our thoughts and not comment.

20. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Of course, that's fair to want people to hear it. But they could hear it by purchasing a pre-owned copy of the earlier CD releases. Maybe they wouldn't get the bonus tracks, but when a remastering is poorly done, it isn't fair to "inflate the grade" only because the music is good. From comments here I gather that the team did not repeat Norberg's mistakes, but made many new and different mistakes. Quite a shame.

After I have a listen to the new CD (I won't buy it, but I'll find a way to listen to it), I'll express my opinion on amazon.com, and I'll probably title it something like: "Five-star music poorly served by three-star remastered sound quality." And I'd probably rate it three stars. (Unless I actually like it after I hear it. :eek:)

I don't think reviews have a big impact on sales, but I do scan negative reviews for comments about musical and technical quality, and it makes a difference for me. I like to perform the same service for others, when I can.

21. Lwalsh

Lwalsh Forum Resident

".....You're ridin high in April shot down in May...." FAS

CBackley likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: Very clever!

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh:

Hello Larry! :wave: I have a question or so, if you can answer. What was the goal when working on the new mixes for this set - between yourself, the production team...? How were they approached, etc.?

CBackley likes this.
  24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I finished listening to the three "orphan" tracks, and the only difference I found in terms of editing was that there are now 6 seconds of orchestral intro on "Desifinado" that were not there previously. This new intro is, IMO, much preferable.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Well... Speaking only for myself, in my opinion pretty much everything Larry Walsh has remastered is more enjoyable in terms of sound quality than pretty much everything Bob Norberg remastered. That applies to the remixing or remastering of these Concord titles, as far as Larry's part of the job goes. Not to say I think any of these recent remix/remasterings are near my opinion of ideal or that I'm certain whether or not Larry might have made some mistakes. But I'm more inclined to suspect that, much as NoNoise etc was unfortunate Capitol policy, a desire to "make it louder" as well as the responsibility for the missed edits (foremost, serving Ipanema with clam) would lay elsewhere, not with Larry.

Having said that to Larry's defense, I'd also suggest that these Concord titles - which again are not my opinion of ideal - might be seen as a "lesser of two evils" after all those Norberg'd CDs. They are more effective as far as still conveying the energies in Frank's music than what came out of Bob Norberg's digital ice baths. The editing issues, the narrowing, the compression, the EQ, the balances, I don't like it. But when your "average listener" plays these Concord discs in their car or on their $200 sound system to go with the $100/bottle wine like the dinner at a $2000 dinner party by a pool, they might serve Frank & Co better than a "(nor)Burger."

McLover and CBackley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.