Pink Floyd - DSOTM - SACD Review/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenexte, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

HZ, even though you've spun it countless times, I promise you'll get a kick outta the 5.1 mix.

I listened further to the 2.0 mix on SACD tonight and compared it to the MoFi CD some more.

I listened intently to Time from about ~1:00-2:30 for the drum hits. With the MoFi CD, it sounds like you're listening to a clean reproduction of a master tape sound. With the SACD it feels like you are monitoring the actual drum sounds in a studio environment.

What I mean by this, is the SACD feels like you've removed a whole generation of tape and have an actual window into the recording studio.

I am totally impressed and have found no drawbacks to either the 2.0 or 5.1 SACD versions.

I feel they really got it "right" this time and I think some of that had to do with the special EQ James Guthrie used to optimize the "top" and "bottom" sound. The interview where he talks about this is floating around here somewhere....

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Thanks Sam! Although it's hard for me to get pumped up about DSOTM any more, you all are starting to get me there. :)

HZ

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

That's certainly not the case with my SACD/DVD-V/CD player. I have one of the cheap sony players and it downmixes just fine. I can listen to the multichannel outputs when I've got speakers going, or the two channel outputs when I want headphones - they are not the same as the front two channels..

Perhaps there's an overlooked setup menu item that's preventing the downmixing?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Grab one up, Jeff!

You know, I was a little scared seeing Luke's Cool Edit captures of the redbook layer of "Money". Some buzzcut waveforms for sure. But, this only seems to be prevalent on this one track (redbook, mind you) and none of the others I ran through Cool Edit.

I doubt any of this limiting carried over to the SACD layer. Heck, by what Steve says, I don't even know if they can do this type of limiting (yet!) for DSD.

Run, don't walk....

5. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

This is from another thread:

So what Supertramp song is it?

dav-here likes this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I will be heading to Best Buy today. Based on all the reviews here, I can't wait to hear this disc. My expectations are running very high! :)

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Me too. Sounds like a "Symphonic Beatles" sort of recording.

L.

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

You know, we really need to get somebody to record the SACD layer via analog connection to standalone recorder (or PC WAV) and check out the waveforms.

And even though the levels won't be perfectly matched, a buzzcut should be very easy to spot.

None of this would affect my purchase decision, but the curiosity does not wane...

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

FWIW, I couldn't hear any objectionable compression/limiting artifacts when I listened to the multichannel mix. In fact I couldn't hear any such tampering. Haven't had a chance to check out the 2ch mix yet.

10. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Well my friends, I was pleasantly surprised when this one showed up in my mailbox from Acoustic Sounds yesterday, and I immediately fired it up in multichannel and had a nice sit down while listening. I won't bother to go into detail as it has been discussed in depth already, but I will say this: my, oh my. :) It sounded beautiful, and it is a very well balanced 5.1 mix, even if the centre channel isn't put to much use, which I find a bit disappointing. It isn't, however, anything that really ruins the experience. IMHO, the 5.1 mix does warrant some of the praises it has been receiving, only I still think that Beck Sea Change SACD and R.E.M. Automatic for the People DVD-A have better 5.1 mixes. This one still manages to squeeze into 3rd place on my list, however, knocking down the Björk Vespertine DVD-A and David Bowie Heathen SACD a notch. I think there is sort of sense that you are part of the mix, in the middle of it, rather than simply listening to it. It is a bit hard to explain. You must hear it to understand it.

I also had a chance to spin the stereo SACD mix and do some quick comparisons to the Mobile Fidelity. Well, all I can say is, I don't think my MoFi will be getting too many spins anymore. ;) This SACD has surpassed my expectations. I am very pleased, happy, and impressed with the sound. I never thought DSOTM could sound as good as this. The bass is warm and punchy without being rubbery and the top end is present, and bright, yet soft (in the best sense) and subtle. It's not hard or harsh.

My hat's off to James Guthrie, Doug Sax, Joel Plante and Gus Skinas as well as to EMI (and Sony). This is a truly marvelous release. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Maybe. It could be disguised, though, by phase shift in the d/a and a/d processes.

12. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

A heads up. Went in search of DSOTM @ local Best Buy today. They had ads for the release in the CD section, but product. I finally asked someone when they expected the release and he said they already have it. But they are stocking them in the Audio section of the store by the other DVD-A and SACD disks. Three other people stopped me on my way to the check out to ask where I found the disk. What a wacky store. Got it for 11.99.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I ripped Money to a WAV file using the "Goldwave" program, and while it did show signs of some limiting, it did not have the agressive buzz cut look to it of Sckott's cool edit graph above. I squeezed my graph a little horizontally so it would have the same dimensions as Sckott's, just to make sure.

In the classic "fun with waveforms" tradition, here's my "Money" measurements from the three CD versions of it that I have access to:
    Code:
    					RMS	Max	Max@	  DR
    Money - DSOTM Anniversary		0.1393	0.9682	282.584	 16.8dB
    Money - Echoes				0.1511	0.7674	274.458  14.1dB
    Money - Hybrid SACD PCM			0.1943	1.0000	147.305	 14.2dB
    Regards,

Attached Files:

14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Weird. Just got back from Sam Goody where I found it in with the regular cds. I would have expected since BBY owns SG that they would have them in the same place.
    Then again, the Sam Goody I went to doesn't carry hi-rez normally.

Just more format confusion I guess.

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I second that.

Hat's off to Kevin Gray too, as I'm shure the vinyl release is gonna be just as amazing too.

16. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Indeed, but I'll save that praise, if warranted, for when the wax is in my possession.;)

17. Ken_McAlinden

Math Interlude

Actually, just keep everything in log units and calculate the percent differences the way you normally would:

100% * (new - baseline)/(baseline)

Regards,

18. Gardo

So much of the buzz cut look depends on zoom level; I had a few flattops in my waveform (not posted) but not as severe or numerous as Sckott's either.

How are you getting the DR figures, Ken? I am interested too that Goldwave reports exactly the same figures for average-to-peak range that I got from Sound Forge when comparing the Echoes version of "Money" with the new SACD redbook layer's version.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Dynamic range is calculated as follows:

DR (in db) = 20 * log (Peak/RMS)

If you have peak and RMS in decibels, you just subtract one from the other.

Regards,

20. Gardo

I do and I do! But thanks for the formula and the inspiration to brush up on my math.:D

Somehow, all the techno stuff seems very appropriate for this release.;)

21. wes

wes Senior Member

I bought mine today at Hastings...............Woohooo!!!!!!

This version is so good I don't have to A/B the previous version and the mofi version.....It's just better all the way around.

So folks, is this version the best since the original UK vinyl because they rediscovered what the original tones are supposed to be on the tape?

Is this a new break through that they just thought of? Has this approach never been used before?

-Wes

22. wes

wes Senior Member

Steve? Do you want to take a stab at this?

-Wes

23. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Not as good sounding as the Zombies SACD

Just for grins, I compared the old (1983?) JPN DARK SIDE OF THE MOON TOSHIBA-EMI CP35-3017 to the new 2003 SACD stereo tracks.

Uh oh.

Well, maybe my tubes are getting old ;), but that quiet 1983 cd still sounds more relaxed and pleasant than the loud new sacd. :eek:
    Compared to 1983, when they apparently simply 'played their copy of the tape',
    here in 2003 they have THE TAPE, of course. and that's good.
    But the new eq doesn't seem to improve the sound very much;
    the eq only seems fussy and in the way, and the 1983 sounds better without it.

ALSO, has anyone else noticed the buzzy distortion in the quiet spots?
    Is that supposed to be the sound of the master??
    Maybe they should have tried new tubes, too??? :D

FFF

Reminder: always just MHO

P.S. The ZOMBIES sacd has finer sound. And no weird noises, either!

George P likes this.
  24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

FabFourFan,
    A dissenter.
    Good, we need that!

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Not as good sounding as the Zombies SACD

Thanks for the Zombies compliment!

I also prefer the Toshiba Moon disc for a totally flat transfer of the master tape. It ain't surround though.....:(

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.