Pink Floyd - DSOTM - SACD Review/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenexte, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I agree 100%. They certainly ARE very different. Keep the Mofi. Buy the SACD. Even if you don't have the 5.1 system yet.

To me it sounds like the SACD is compressed but not OVERLY compressed. All of the bits are clearer and have better imaging but is it really the higher resolution that makes the difference or is it compression ?

CAN you compress in the SACD world yet? Can you tweak things prior to the SACD mastering to get the compression that you want? :confused:

I find there is more depth to the UD1, it's smoother, more etherial and I still prefer it over the SACD.

And one day I'll hear the surround mix!

Paul, my copy is also made in Japan.

dav-here likes this.
  2. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I'm keeping my MoFi. Not that I was going to get rid of it anyway.

I find the UD1 has more bass - or at least more of that echo from the bass drum. Particularly in Any Color You Like. The redbook layer on the SACD seems a little thin on that song.

Soon, I'll find out how the new LP compares.

Otherwise, the new version is not bad, and, some day I'll get to hear the 5.1 too.

My SACD is made in Japan as well, with the inserts made by Capitol in the US and in the standard all-clear molded CD jewel case.

Joel

dav-here likes this.
  3. stever

stever Senior Member

I'm not getting rid of my MOFI LP or UD1, even though the SACD sounds awesome! Don't want to regret anything later. :)

4. michael w

michael w New Member

Hi Paul,

I'm across the pond in Noo Zeelund , where the disc has just gone on sale.

Our version sez Printed in EU and Made In EU.

It comes in a standard jewel case but teh lid is missing two of the lugs that usually keeps the booklet in place, so it sort of flaps in the breeze...

I don't have an SACD player (yet) so have only listened to the Redbook layer.

On our EU sourced version it sounds like crap !

Superficial clarity gives way to a brash compressed electronic "hi-fi" sound.
    The 20th Anniversary CD was much more listenable.

Regards,

5. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Michael, I'm sorry you don't like the redbook layer - I would have thought it should improve on the earlier CD. I can't wait to hear the SACD layer.

Interesting that yours was made in the EU, while the US and Australia are getting Japanese-made discs.

Those jewel cases with the missing lugs on the front lid were also used in the European Pink Floyd remasters that came out in the early to mid 90s - funny that they have carried on with them for this reissue. They do reduce the likelihood of damage to the booklets, and thos Floyd remasters tend to have quite thick booklets.

I'd love to have the Mofi CD version for comparison purposes - it's one that I overlooked when it was around, and probably couldn't afford one now.

6. wes

wes Senior Member

Oh god I hope not. I hope they never make such a technology, but I'm sure it'll be out before we know it. Aaaaaaaaahh!!!!

-Wes

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Anything you can do in the analog world, you can do before encoding to DSD, inclusive of analog compression. I don't know if they have tools to do it in the direct stream digital domain, though.

Regards,

8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

They can indeed compress, limit, EQ, or whatever in the analogue domain before the DSD conversion. So far, however, they seem to have kept that all to a minimum on the SACD's that I own. I don't know if they can yet do compression and limiting in the DSD domain, but alas, it is all coming and coming soon. :sigh: Grab all the SACD's you can today, because the glorious natural sound that you hear today may very well be gone tomorrow.

dav-here likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

reopened by request

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi,

Are you referring to the stereo layer here?

11. George P

George P Notable Member

I have read a number of comments in this thread about the 2003 SACD being compressed. Are you guys referring to the stereo layer? I ask because I have looked at the waveforms for each track from the stereo SACD layer and I see no evidence of compression.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi Mike,

I am curious if you still feel the same about the stereo SACD layer? I ask because I recently got the 2003 SACD and my first impression was very similar to yours. I have listened to it a few more times and it seems to be growing on me.

13. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I seem to recall some one at Stereophile maybe John Atkison stating that the cd layer is compressed and does not compare directly to stereo sacd layer. There is not much compression on the sacd layer, compare the sacd track Money, it gets louder as it progresses, while the compressed cd layer not so much.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Funny. You are quoting a post I made in 2003 (16 years ago). I can't even remember what I did last week. :) Anyway, it has been quite a long time since I listened to the SACD. The last few times I listened to DSOTM, I either listened on vinyl or the Blu-Ray disc that came with the Immersion set.

ivor likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

You say "there is not much compression on the SACD layer," where are you hearing it? Again, I don't hear (or see in the waveforms) any compression on the stereo layer of the SACD.

TimB and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  16. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Above is by way of Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine, 17 years later. :yikes:

Now when listening to this album it's over different speakers (Magneplanar 3.7i), with a different subwoofer (Hsu Research ULS-15 MkI), Sanders Magtech amp & preamp and Naim CDX2-2 player.

In fact, in the interim ...somewhere along life's road... I acquired the import Harvest black label CD. For comparison's sake, the Doug Sax remastered SACD still sounds good via a tube modified OPPO (low level rumble hasn't gone away), ...but now my preferred go-to listening is via the early Harvest import over the Naim player (least fatiguing version top-to-bottom, but other's mileage may vary). Since I'm not set-up for LP, my best guess is that an original 70's Harvest LP is still top dog.

:cheers:
    Cat

17. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I am guessing that they were light handed on the compression on the SACD layer as it has more dynamics than the cd layer. Not many recordings go out the final product door with out some compression on it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.