Pink Floyd - DSOTM - SACD Review/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenexte, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident Thread Starter

DSOTM SACD Review on HFR!

Note from Holy Zoo: To reduce clutter of having a dozen DSOTM threads, I'm going to merge a couple of the existing threads into this one.

However: Lets keep this thread DVD-A/SACD debate free! Thanks. -- HZ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSOTM SACD Review on HFR!

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=19939611

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Has anyone seen this sucker in BB yet? Or do they seem to hold to that tuesday release date?

3. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine New Member

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what the policy of Steve's web-site is, but you might not want to post the complete text of the review on this website. I believe in most cases paraphrasing or a link to the review is all that's allowed.

However I could be wrong and that rule only applies on other sites.

But am glad that you brought the review to my attention.

Later, Rick

4. Sckott

Not to be totally sure, but I think it's fine as long as you give the link providing the news involved. It provides the original story, and the attention the site should have for it....

5. vex

vex New Member

That is a very interesting review but DSOTM in surround is certainly not something "shiny and new". Also, the review contains one glaring error: The quadraphonic version of DSOTM was released in 1973, not 1975. Perhaps they are referring to the "Four Sides of the Moon" Alan Parsons article published by Studio Sound magazine in 1975.

I think it is unfortunate that they did not compare the new surround mix to the original. I assume that they avoided doing this to be the first out of the gate with their review. A follow-up review is promised, but comparing the new hi-rez mix to the original via an SQ LP really puts the original at a disadvantage.

At any rate, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for the opportunity to do the comparison myself. I have my copy pre-ordered through Acoustic Sounds, but no peep from them as of yet!

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Excellent. Now I'm even more anxious to get my grubby hands on this release. ;) The acoustic Sounds email today confirmed that they had received shipment of this and that they were beginning to box and ship all pre-orders. I would assume that mine would be here at the latest on Friday.

7. Sckott

There you go Neil and all you Apple people.... Beatles next?

And with the economy looking up again, this really looks good. Look out!

8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Actually vex, if you check the order status on Acoustic Sounds (as I just did) it should show 'Warehouse', meaning it is being prepared for shipment.

9. vex

vex New Member

Groovy! I can't wait! I've changed my avatar in anticipation...

10. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

DSOTM SACD Spotted On Sale at WalMart

FYI, there's a message over on HiRez Highway that someone found 4 copies already on the shelves at a WalMart.

I guess some stores just don't pay much attention to those shelf date stickers any more!

11. thenexte

I am wondering how much they'll be at Priceclub/Costco, probably something like $9.99 (their website seems to have no info on it)...
    -wolf

12. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

13. thenexte

Quote from original article:

"The SACD is a hybrid disc, meaning it will play on either a SACD player, or a conventional CD player, although you’ll only get the multi-channel and higher resolution from a SACD player. I took the time to compare them, and found that the disc, when played as a CD, takes the two-channel track to a new level as well. The fidelity of the disc, even from a CD player, was still decidedly better than the Mobile Fidelity disc."

Wolf

14. emilsjr

emilsjr New Member

Well I have a multi-channel SACD system and I am just on pins and needles to hear this disc.

Will bring back lots of great college memories, I am sure.

15. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I'm certainly eager to give this a spin on my SACD surround system.

Ryan

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am most interested in how the stereo SACD track compares to good versions on CD (MFSL gold, 20th anniversary, and current remaster). Given the author's comment about the CD layer on the hybrid disc besting the MFSL disc, the stereo SACD layer must be a real treat! I can't wait to get my hands on this one! :)

17. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I was waiting for a review.I think I just jumped off the fence.

18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Lee,
    Did you not 'promise' us a SACD stereo mix as well?

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Found it!
    Lee said to the question of a stereo SACD mix for PF DSotM,
    Said by Lee, with a "smile" no less!:bigeek:

21. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Take out the Bong and fill it with some Acapulco Gold?

22. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

It's a Hybrid Multichannel SACD - it has a Stereo CD mix, a Stereo SACD mix and a Multichannel SACD mix on the disc.

23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

bmoura,
    According to the review;

DSD Audio:
    Channels: 3/2.1

Linear PCM:
    Channels: 2/0.0

Could you please direct me to where it states a SACD stereo mix.
    Thanks!

24. vex

vex New Member

Jeez, Big Ed, you quote me out of context to make some kind of point, but if you would have read two sentances further into my message, you would have seen I already addressed the quote from the article you used:

A follow-up review is promised, but comparing the new hi-rez mix to the original via an SQ LP really puts the original at a disadvantage.

25. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

I just found a copy! Check out the photo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.