SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

guy at tweeter says sony will update this set in 2-3 mos. w/a model that's 4-5" less deep. I think this one's a tough sell at current depth . . . but it's undoubtedly an awesome piece of work!

doug

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Must be the one that was just shown at CES. It's a 55 inch and I think has a 1080p input. Current depth is fine with me since my audio componenets are just as wide underneath.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I agree, the current depth of the SXRD's are fine since the TV sits on a stand that is 24" deep anyway.

The only thing that could be better is losing the side wingspan of the speakers. But again in my room, the speakers are not a problem.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What are you guys with this TV doing with your center speaker?

My current RPTV has a deep top that I put my center on. I actually had to get a custom piece of 1/2" glass made to support the weight.. otherwise the TV sags :(

I don't remember the exact weight, but I'm pretty sure my center weighs close to 50lbs.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Sam - you have the same problem I do
    My center weighs 50 pounds too and is too high for my audio rack. I could put it below the TV on the floor or a small amp stand but then the sound will get to me too quickly as compared with the other speakers (problem with multichannel audio where it can't be manipulated). I could build a shelf into the wall (studs) on top above the TV, but the sound may suffer because it's high and the attic wall slopes upward there. I have the center channel packed until I figure it out. :help:

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've thought about all those scenarios for when I eventually get an SXRD. The center would either be too high or too low. Or the TV would be in an awkward spot.

7. JohnG

I bought an Omnimount center channel bracket for my (eventual...its still backordered) center channel speaker.

The speaker will go on top of my SXRD.

8. MikeyF

MikeyF New Member

JohnG thanks for the reply about calibration.
    As for the discussion on center speaker placement-any recommendations out there for home theater furniture, preferably wood, that will accomodate a center speaker of reasonable size without launching a 50'' SXBR through the roof??

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

An ad in a DC paper today has a sale price of $4000 for the 60 inch from Myer Emco, a high-end stereo place whose advertised sale prices are not usually particularly good. I suspect that the price drop is a harbinger of the arrival of the 55 inch model announced last month at the CES show, which is the one I have been holding out for. Anybody know what the street date is?
    Thanks in advance.

10. JohnG

Unknown about a street date at this time. Usually the newer models come out in the Fall.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

That's got to be the case. My buddy got a 60" 2 weeks ago from PC Richard for $3400.00! I am also holding out for the new 55"er.

12. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

There is no release date for the slim 55" set with the 1080p input. In fact, Sony says it's just a prototype.

That said, I'm fairly certain that we'll see a similar set this year.

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I'd be interested in the link for this discussion. From the beginning with an earlier generation XBR CRT set I've noticed that 480p was always softer/less detailed than 480i. I've always thought it was a problem with just my set, but if a part of the design, that's different.

John K.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Allegedly coming this April/May. This comes from a sales rep at my local high end chain. If correct, it will list at the same $4,500 that the 60'' is currently going for.

15. Michael St. Clair

2006 Models
    LIST $ ETA ACCESSORIES

50-inch KDS50XBR2000 $2,999.99 AUG SUGW12, XL5100 LAMP, RHGT2000, 1080P input

55-inch KDS55XBR2000 $3,499.99 JULY SUGW12, XL5100 LAMP, RHGT2000, 1080P input

60-inch KDS60XBR2000 $3,999.99 AUG SUGW12, XL5100 LAMP, RHGT2000, 1080P input

60-inch KDSR60XBR2 $4499.99 SEPT SURS51U, two tuner PIP, dual 1080p inputs

70-inch KDSR70XBR2 $6999.99 SEPT SURS51U, two tuner PIP, dual 1080p inputs, removable speakers

[​IMG]

Yes, the ears are back.

16. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Michael, What is the source of your list (is there a link?) and for the uneducated can you explain some of the acronyms like SUGW12, XL5100 LAMP, RHGT2000 and SURS51U.

17. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Michael, has this been confirmed? I've been following the rumours over at AVS for the past few months and no one can say for sure. Sony's own press release stated "Sony's newly designed SXRD line will offer screen sizes from 50 to 70 inches."

I really want a 50" SXRD but the wife *hates* the dumbo ears. Quite frankly, they would make my viewing area a but cramped as well and I'd have to modify my speaker set-up. A 50" without dumbo ears would make life better all around.

18. I dunno, other than the BRAVIA in the top less corner, it looks EXACTLY like the current model.

Keith

19. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I can't believe those ears are back. In the one miserable year I spent at Tweeter that was the main reason people didn't buy it. Even so it was by far the best selling tv there. The 50" was the best picture I had ever seen.

20. Michael St. Clair

The source is unofficial but somebody I trust. I don't have a link. Specs for that lamp are on the web and it is used in the current sets (it's $250, FYI). Some of those other numbers are, I think, models of stands, and some I don't know. I expect we'll see official, more detailed info in the next couple of weeks.

In retrospect I probably should have said in my original post that this is not official info.

EDIT: Same info is at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7317604&&#post7317604

"Just got this confirmed from two sources:"

UGW12 = $800 stand:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1000434

21. JohnG

A 70" SXRD would be something else!

I've had the 50" in my home since October and the ears tend to disappear after awhile. You really don't mind them once you have this great TV in your home.

22. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I use the ears when I'm "low key" TV viewing and don't want to fire up the amps and the processor and get distracted by the great surround sound. The sound on the attached Sony speakers is actually good. I'm glad they are there but would be pissed if I had a space issuse like Kevin's.

23. Tony Plachy

Michael, Thanks for the additional input.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Vey interesting Michael. Thanks!

25. Tony Plachy

FWIW, I was in the Sony Center in NYC yesterday and checked out the SXRD XBR's and the Qualia 70" SXDR ($13K list). I ask one of the Sony sales reps (I kid who look like he was 0ne year out of college) about the 70" and he said that the Sony rumor is that Qualia is going away as a brand and that to 70" SXRD will be coming into the XBR line sometime this year. This seems to be the same as what Michael has heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.