SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

:thumbsup: Your set looks great out of the box, and I'm sure even better now. Enjoy that puppy!

Yep you got it. That would be shown in the box on the lower right hand side 709->601. Not common, but certainly you could run into it in the manner you describe.

My opinion of it would be that most standard def sets probably have more glaring color decoder issues, temperature, contrast, etc. problems, to where this decoding problem would be negligible in the big scheme of things.

2. stickgs

stickgs New Member

stand for sony 60" sxrd KDSR60XBR1

Hi: new to this thread...have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone bot the 60" SXRD online? Perhaps at Bestpricecameras.com or PCandPlasma.com? Are these reliable outlets?

2. Where can you get stand for the 60"?

Thanks for any help you can give

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I would buy it at a B&M store...in case you have problems...and a lot of them do.
    It's a big, friggin' box!

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The price on both the 50" and the 60" dropped a month ago. For instance the MSRP on the 50" is now $2999 from $3999.

So a local dealer should be able to hook you up for at least $500/800 below those prices.

5. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

This may be old news but I heard today that Sony is discontinuing this model and it's replacement is coming out this summer.

6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The best on-line place, with the best rep for customer service, is tapeworkstexas.com. They offer a special rate to AVS forum members but seem to offer it to anyone who can find their link... it ain't easy. Try finding that link above by just going to their home page. :)

FWIW, next month Sony is introducing 5 new SXRD sets. The link above has them all. I am seriously thinking about a 50" A2000. It has the same guts as the current XBR1, without the dumbo eared speakers.

Kevin

7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I have to wait now until these new A2000 SXRD TVs come out. It's beginning to look like Sony skimped on the DRC chip in these new "low-end" SXRDs. Everything seems to say that they are reverting back to DRC 1.0 (from 2.0 in the current). Also, they have eliminated picture and picture for the A2000 series, a well-loved option in my current Sony KV-36XBR800.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

From what I understand, DRC 2.0 will be standard on the upcoming A2000 sets. The XBR versions will get a DRC 2.5.

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Sam, did you see where Sony posted the manual for the A2000 series SXRDs and the mention V1.0? This agrees with what the Sony reps were saying at a recent show. The confusion comes from the fact that the spec pages all say V2.0.

The spec pages also disagree with the manual with regard to picture and picture. The manual says no and it even pictures a remote that makes no reference to it. So basically I'm supposed to shell out $3 for a set that can't show a split screen? Argh. I like my split screen. My wife and I use it a lot watching the various Boston newscasts.

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I will be in the market for one of these babies (probably a 50) in the next 30-60 days. Should i buy one of the discontinued ones, at the discounted prices, or wait for the new model?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

12. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Hiya Jeffrey -
    These prices look like they are 30% lower than the current prices for the sets they are discontinuing (I have one) so I don't think the discontinued price will be much of a bargain. I think the new ones are somewhat thinner, probably better quality and have a 1080p input. That said, I'd wait a couple of months when they come out to see if any problems arise - as the first batch of SXRD's had (that green blob problem).

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No, I haven't seen the online manual yet. It is common for the 'right hand to not talk with the left' when it comes to Sony and other consumer electronics manufacturers on some of these specs, especially when the feature is an internal item. I just can't imagine them going backwards with the use of the DRC chip :confused:

Jeffery, if I were you, I'd wait for the 2006 models. You'd get 1080p HDMI input capability. A nice feature to have for current and upcoming Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/PS3 machines.

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Kevin, Where did you find the manual posted?

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Rick & Sam,

Thanks for the advice, it's most appreciated..... i'll wait. :righton:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

17. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Just looking at the specs of my SXRD on the Sony Style site it says:

"A D-Sub 15 input also allows connection to your PC, allowing you to use your high resolution Grand WEGA XBR TV as a computer monitor."

Has anyone who has this TV connected a PC to it? How does it work? :confused:

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Looking up what a D-Sub 15 plug looks like, it appears to be a simple VGA input connector, so my guess is, you hook it up like you would a computer monitor, except those usually have the cord attached.

19. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have a strong suspicion that the highest resolution input you can feed the TV will be 640x480.

21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

From an AVS Forum fella:

"The VGA input is limited to 1280x1024 and even with overscan set it still doesn't fill the available screen space. You have to drop down to an even lower resolution and there's still a 4-5" border all around the displayed image.

I've had even less success trying to use the HDMI input (with a DVI to HDMI cable).

For me, HTPC use is just an interesting afterthought, so I'm happy to put up with these limitations because I love the SXRD's picture. But if you care at all about hooking up to a PC, the SXRD (as it is today) is probably not a good choice. "

So, it'll accept it, display it at fairly high rez, but it won't fill the screen. You're call.

22. htom

htom Senior Member

Others have tried seeing if they can do it through the HDMI port:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=674564

Howard

23. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

OK my Sony 50" SXRD died tonight.....:realmad:

After turning it on and waiting for it to warm up I get a picture for a brief second then blank - then the green power indicator light turns red.

Happened a couple of times before in the past month but it quickly resolved itself. Now its not being resolved...:confused: Someone else just recently had the same problem on AVS Forum (no follow post up on that one)

Calling Circuit City tomorrow and will find out the benefit of an extended warranty.

Better be fixed for the Baseball playoffs......

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I cringe when I read stories like this. I saw that story over on AVS and I was hoping it was a one-time thing. I guess the demand for these sets may be causing some quality issues. Let us know how the repair goes. This set is still very much on my radar for my next set and how well they service their sets is very important to me.

Kevin

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Hopefully its just the bulb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.