SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Unfortunately, it seems that although the speakers on this new 55 inch aren't "dumbo ears", they are still side-mounted. I have a very tight space for my TV and I'd love to fit an SXRD in there... I doubt this set will help.

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Aw, shoot. Any pics?

I wish they sold sets with no speakers at all.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I like how Samsung puts the speakers below the screen which keeps the width down so you can buy a bigger TV.

Got to watch My Name Is Earl/ The Office/ and ER last night in HD for the first time (they had been in re-runs). Pretty nice.

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

There is a small picture on the www.cnet.com website:
    [​IMG]

It's so slim, it can almost be wall mounted! Wow.

BTW, the article on cnet is :here

Kevin

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for the pic Kevin! That 55" may be my new TV for late '06-early '07. :crossing fingers for 1080p input:

6. JohnG

I like the design. Looks like SXRD will really be big by the end of 2006.

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Samsung's new DLP is getting a lot of buzz. No more color wheel...LED based.
    Faster turn on...and longer bulb life. Interesting CES. Should we have waited, John? :winkgrin:

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Another shot of the 55 inch SXRD:
    [​IMG]

It appears that the side speakers may just be port holes... the speakers must be inside the cabinetry and the just allow the sound to escape from side slots.

9. JohnG

Nah...this stuff won't ship til October 2006. I want to enjoy my HT today! :D

10. audiomixer

Agreed! Had my nephew over last night who is really into all of this and he was stunned by the SXRD's picture. Upconverted DVDs blew him away! He was expecting a much less acceptable picture.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

There was some discussion about high end LED based TVs coming soon in the Wall Street Journal yesterday. They are going to be pricey initially.

SXRD is the here and now deal. :righton:

12. Michael St. Clair

I've been reading about the new LED/DLP 1080p sets....they aren't all pricey, some are less than the SXRDs. I'll certainly explore all options before buying, since I'm waiting for a set with a 1080p input.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Today is the first time I've heard about LED/DLP. Do you have a link?

Given the success of SXRD, it is hard to resist a proven display technology.

14. Michael St. Clair

15. JohnG

One thing is for sure....flat display's are quickly gaining on CRT's classic great picture. I know I don't miss my crt tube tv.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Tubes are very inconvenient with respect to size and weight. Flat and thin is better.

17. Michael St. Clair

Vinyl records are very inconvenient compared to CD. There are many ways to judge different technologies. And the tradeoffs have to be made by the buyer, and there is no right answer for each one.

It is surprising to hear somebody who brags about being retro and using film cameras and the like, summarily dismissing a video technology based on convenience.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

First, the SXRD is different in two compelling ways over tube TV - as good or very close performance (resolution, contrast, black level) and a lighter/thinner package. The earlier retro examples I cite often suffer performance wise, although I've seen some recent 10mp and 14mp digital photos that do have the resolution and quality of a good slide film.

Second, vinyl offers up something CDs can't - great sound quality with a high resolution equivalent.

Retro often is better but LCOS trumps tube in many ways.

Everybody does have different ways of evaluating technology and many won't do extra work for more performance like us audio and video 'philes. Still the lack of tube TVs at many stores suggests people are voting with their wallet.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Some more on SED:

20. audiomixer

Agreed. I had a 35" tube and DO NOT miss the weight or bulkiness. And I have to say that the SXRD displays some really amazing colors and contrasts. :righton:

21. Michael St. Clair

Never confuse quality with popularity! Americans love their disgusting little McDonald's hamburgers and their nasty little overcompressed MP3/AAC songs. Most consumers aren't rejecting CRT sets for SXRD, they are buying the lowest end Plasma, LCD, and DLP sets that are inferior to a decent CRT (or CRT-based RPTV) solution in almost every possible way.

The fact that Americans are leaning away from CRT sets says nothing about quality, period. Heck, most wouldn't know quality if it bit them in the ***. They'll have their sets in full torch mode with inaccurate colors and horrendous edge enhancement, which absolutely destroys detail.

SXRD is pretty good (the black level can still improve, and Silk Screen Effect issues remain), and I might get one. Gotta check out these new LED sets and the SED (carbon nanotube) technology as well. Again, there might be a right technology for a given buyer, but that just doesn't mean there's one right technology for everyone. And one thing will remain constant; sets in two or three years will blow these away. :D

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm amazed how much television $2000 can buy now, even if it's not a 50" SXRD.

23. audiomixer

24. Michael St. Clair

That's why I bought HDTV five years ago, and DVD eight years ago, and an Xbox 360 last month. Some of my friends are always telling me that there's something better and cheaper just around the corner, if I'll just wait, and they think I'm nuts for being an early adopter.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:laugh:

I never have Michael! Remember I am a Super Audio, vinyl, and tube audio enthusiast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.