Dave's non-recommended MFSL's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2006.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"the wall" - "something/anything"

sorry, but i very much disagree.

2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

3. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

I heard Steve do a Allman Bros Brothers & Sisters comparison between the Polydor CD and the Mobile and the Polydor won. The Mobile version sounded like it was being broadcast over a bad FM radio station.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I will check. I doubt it, especially with Stand Up, which sounds great.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I really enjoy the MFSL Gold CDs of "Stand Up" and "Thick as a Brick" and prefer them to all other digital versions I have heard.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nah, it just sounded like the MoFi mastering engineer added 4 db at 14k to the music. Not needed in my opinion unless you have high frequency hearing loss. And if you do, why should the rest of us have to suffer?

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

4db? Seems like an awful lot.

8. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

Hmm...if that's so, then what happens if one records the CD to tape at home? A tape-shattering experience of distortion?

I kind of doubt it.

I think there's a lot of misguided opinion being tossed around as *fact* here.

lukpac likes this.
  9. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I think the price of MFSL Abraxas just went up !!!! Buy copies now. LOL

10. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

Writing, 'this recordings sounds bad' is an opinion. But, and this is key, you have also asserted reasons *why* the recordings sound bad, whihc gets you into the realm of specualtion about FACT -- although you don't present them that way -- you present them as correct 'conclusions'. That's far different from simply offering opinions. It gets even worse when you've tried to justify your conclusions....piling dubious assertion upon assertion.

lukpac likes this.
  11. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

It's easy to verify or refute this possibility, by comparing .wav files.

12. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

I notice they use this phrase a lot on 'The Sopranos' too.

;)

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Anyone else here like the Mo-Fi Dr. John 2-fer, "Gumbo"/"In The Right Place?"

I really thought that one sounded very good.

14. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

Don't all remastering engineers, yourself included, tend to do more than just transfer a tape flat, including apply EQ? And is not every such transfer a deviation, however good or bad, from what the original tapes sound like?

15. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:thumbsup: I'm enjoying all Tull MFSL's more and more these days, after rejecting them for the remasters. (listened closely & learned wisely) :D

There was a negative comment somewhere about the EQ on Thick As A Brick? :whistle:

16. discs4sale

discs4sale New Member

Dave,
    Regarding your statement above, are you saying that all the non-MFSL versions of Reckless sound the same. I have the MFSL version (when I religiously bought them without buying the regular record label release) and this has sparked my interest in getting a better mastered copy.

Would you be able to provide a recommendation of what to get. Can I just pick up the latest manufacturing of this CD in a used bin and have the good mastering? Thanks!

17. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member

All of this talk makes me want to do my database project even more, but since the majority of members do not think an undertaking like that would be feasible, maybe we can just pick a title each day, and I can post a forum poll where we can all vote on the best sounding version of that title?

Let's do this, it's long over-due...anyone want to suggest the first title to poll? Give me some feeback then let's round up the versions...and let the voting begin!

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  18. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

Joey has his "weakest links", Dave his mfsl lists. Maybe this can be "your" thing.

19. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Damn...this would be an excellent project!!

20. listentothemusic

The object isn't to make it "mine", I just want the information to easily exist in some way, shape or form :love:

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sure, so then we can all argue, bicker and call each other names when we're told we're "wrong" or that our systems suck.

22. listentothemusic

I believe the poll can set-up to not show each member's vote correct?

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes, but the thread will be open for posts, and the inevitable will happen. Call me a pessimist.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course but that is what makes the MoFi Gold series unique, right up until (almost) the end. They didn't do anything but transfer the tape flat. That was the point I guess; they didn't even pick titles at first that didn't sound wonderful "straight". Later on they started to pick titles that were classic but didn't sound so hot ("Gears", "Layla", etc.) while still transferring them straight. After that, during the last few years, they started "mastering" their CD product adding EQ to try and add some sparkle to their releases. This is where they lost me but might have "gained" others.

Make sense?

25. listentothemusic

But don't you agree that it would be a great "quick" look source for those who wanted such info? If 90% of the voters agree that a certain version is best, it's probably safe for the user to look for that version. If the results are sporadic at best, then the user knows trial and error will likely be needed.