Dave's non-recommended MFSL's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2006.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Breakfast in America
    My old US A&M compact disc EQ wise resembles my US 'Trumpet' lp, both do sound nice. For a different flavor-
    The 1982 MFSL Japan for US lp does offer a 'darker' representation and sounds great as well, I'm thinking the MFSL compact disc may use that master
    Here's a sample of Child of Vision for those who may be interested :)
    Dropbox - Vision Sample.wav »

jfeldt likes this.
  2. Foothilla

Foothilla New Member

No,...but he did say that it is his mastering preference. Which to me says that he believes a mastering engineer just shouldn't get in the way of what has already been put onto the source tape. But, what if the recording/mixing engineers didn't do a great job? Or what if their work could be polished and improved upon, resulting in a more pleasing end product? The recording/mixing engineers are not part of the band, but they have an undeniable role in the sound of the finished product. So, why shouldn't a respected mastering engineer get in on the shaping of the sound as well?

Quick personal experience story. About 15 years ago I was playing bass in Philadelphia for a really talented guy that went on to get signed by Blue Note records. When he started out on his own he had no management, and no money. I had a Roland 1880 digital workstation, and a pile of mics. So, I recorded his very first demo in my basement in Philadelphia (I now live in Los Angeles, for the past 14 years). It was a simple band format,...bass, drums, acoustic guitar and vocals. Outside of having some gear, I didn't know what I was doing. I was a quality bass player, but not much of an engineer. But, on the demo I acted as recording engineer, mixing engineer and bass player. I decided on the mics, the mic placement, the mix, the effects used, etc.. My mixed product was crap. Being a bass player, and my ego wanting to here me, the mix was stupid bass heavy,...among other glaring flaws. But, after I mixed it, I ended up paying $500 to have a small, generic Philadelphia based "mastering house" master it. The mastering engineers were no one anyone knows, they were just small time guys running a small studio. But, whatever they did turned my crappy recording into a fairly decent listen. They clearly did way more than just do a flat transfer of my crappy product. From that day on I have always been fascinated by the art of mastering. So, it shocks me to hear a guy of Steve's prestige hold the opinion of "transfer it flat, and just get out of everyone else's way".

Stone Turntable likes this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Get the Blackface 'Made In Japan' Harvest for DSOTM.
    Same mastering as the non-TO and a hell of a lot cheaper!

George P likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As far as prefering a flat transfer, I think what Steve has said has been taken somewhat out of context and incomplete.

john lennonist likes this.
  5. Foothilla

Foothilla New Member

How so? You can read his complete statement. It's here in this very thread for everyone's viewing, on page 6. He clearly said that even when the source is "wacky", he still prefers to hear the flat transfer. He clearly states that he prefers a flat transfer, "even if it sounds less than optimum". Unless he was being sarcastic, I think his preferences were pretty clearly stated.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

True, they are the same mastering. Same with the very first Australian silver face release.

Btw, with a bit of patience there is no need to pay way over the odds for the black triangle. I bought another non-TO a few months back from Japan on ebay for $25.

You do see them come up now and then but most are the more abundant TO versions that do not have the holy grail mastering. I'm not sure why the TO versions are still selling at high prices, it could be that many don't realise that not all black triangles are the same.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

George P and Spaceboy like this.
  8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

What do you think of Pink Floyd's Meddle MFSL? I don't see it listed on your most recent recommended list or on page 1 of the non-recommended one. Thanks!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Opening by request.

Natvecal., shokhead and George P like this.
  10. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

I didn't get on well with the David Crosby Super Vinyl. As previously said about other titles,
    it was just too different. I love my OG, but will be very tempted to grab Chad's upcoming 45.
    I believe it's slated to drop early next year along with The Couch album. That may be an
    expensive month for me. If there is no Yes released prior, it should be my first AP Atlantic 75.
    On the positive side, I very much enjoy the MoFi Blood On The Tracks. I'm
    referring to the standard version, as I've not heard the 1 Step.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The most recent MFSL vinyl release of Eat a Peach and Brothers and Sisters are both lousy sounding.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The thread that would not, but maybe should die. It has been reopened twice and the response has been negligible...

abzach and ricks like this.
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I vote only Steve can open a dead thread. I don’t know why but that’s my vote.

I’m not sure why in the Year Of Our Lord 2023 any thread should ever suffer a demise but that’s likely a discussion for another thread.

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I come back to this thread s lot for info and I’m thinking for newbie’s it’s full of starter info.

john lennonist likes this.
  15. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Isn’t there a newer version of this thread (“Part 2” or something?)

Maybe that’s why this one has fizzled out.

abzach likes this.
  16. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Heresy! I prefer to spend more money, so I can brag about my collection ;)

klockwerk likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I meant that a thread shouldn’t ever be locked. Maybe it’s a tech or server reason but it’s nice to revive a fizzled-out thread without adult/Gort supervision.

George P likes this.
  18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

From the list (I haven't heard all), I think the following sounds very good:

UDCD 517 Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
    UDCD 537 Pink Floyd The Wall
    UDCD 568 Queen A Night at the Opera
    UDCD 595 Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother
    UDCD 647 Jean Michel Jarre Equinoxe
    UDCD 613 Jean Michel Jarre Oxygene

UDCD 668 Queen: A Day at the Races may not sound stunning, but it's the only version on CD out there without errors and/or compression, noise reduction, so I'll take it.